Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Taylor Swift

Featured Replies

CANCELLED is like peak millenial cringe but it bops so it doesnt get deleted

I always forget that Wood is between this and Wish List and it jumpscares me every time I expect Cancelled to start deadbanana2

  • Replies 61.6k
  • Views 3.3m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Taylor fanboy
    Taylor fanboy

    I would throw you on the bed and slowly take off your boxers. Then I would stare at your long hard cock. I would slowly move my finger up the side of your dick. After that I would very slowly lick the

  • Holy Ground
    Holy Ground

    Why do people engage with artists they don't like . I couldn't imagine camping in a Bieber thread and keeping up with his every move... I just ignore him We must pray for the victims of Taylor Swift

Cancelled is sonically a bop and overall i dont mind the theme but a couple lines like the underworld one is definitely a bit cringe. Feels like she recorded the first draft. If she let the song sit a bit and rework some lines would have been way betterrogue2
though that is an overall problem with a couple songs on showgirl - Eldest Daughter for example aswell. A couple lines really ruin an otherwise solid song

Edited by TaylenaStan

  • Popular Post

Sometimes I forget how good Eldest Daughter's bridge is because I never make it that far

azealia

  • ATRL Moderator

CANCELLED! is not that bad, people do the most

IMG_4473.thumb.gif.e264e1c07748287faf683

4 hours ago, Arrows said:

Maybe it was deleted after 10 minutes exactly because her team realized they had accidentally used the copyrighted Toy Story cloud for a merch droprip And therefore had to shelf it all

nn I don't think this is a mistake one could make, like, it doesn't really work like that as far as I know deadbanana2

plus, they'd have redone it and dropped the merch by now since that was a month ago

the concept of Wish List - Wood - Cancelled being a real streak on a Taylor tracklist

IMG_1800.gif

6 hours ago, alestevens said:

347 total weeks in the Top 10.

Studio album totals:

72 weeks - 1989

60 weeks - The Life of a Showgirl

47 weeks - Midnights

41 weeks - Lover

32 weeks - Fearless

31 weeks - Red

16 weeks - The Tortured Poets Department

9 weeks - reputation

7 weeks - Speak Now

4 weeks - folklore

1 week - evermore

0 weeks - Debut

Songs with at least 10 weeks in the Top 10:

34 weeks - Cruel Summer

28 weeks - Anti-Hero

24 weeks - Shake It Off

24 weeks - The Fate of Ophelia

19 weeks - Opalite

17 weeks - Blank Space

16 weeks - I Knew You Were Trouble

16 weeks - You Belong With Me

13 weeks - Bad Blood

13 weeks - Love Story

13 weeks - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

12 weeks - I Don't Wanna Live Forever

Thank you! This started in my brain because of that HDD Drake thread, and I wondered how the latest albums have performed and if they are helping her catch up, or if they are going to be relatively even. Midnights and TLOAS were big, but TTPD's performance is what I was thinking about — 10 more weeks for first week placement, then residual as they fall and only a couple of songs stick.

1 hour ago, cruelhprince said:

the concept of Wish List - Wood - Cancelled being a real streak on a Taylor tracklist

IMG_1800.gif

Wish List was cute for a while

rogue2

I truly have to repent... After how I struggled finishing Showgirl, TTPD is so good in retrospect I was being a greedy lil b*tch deadbanana2

Fortnight should've been a smash hit I love it!

So Long London, title track, Florida, So High School, Black Dog, imgonnagetyouback, all career highlights WAP

honey is probably the best album track on showgirl and the way it has flopped badly, its giving swifties hate r&blor angry

38 minutes ago, Swiftienator13 said:

honey is probably the best album track on showgirl and the way it has flopped badly, its giving swifties hate r&blor angry

Once honey hits, it sticks.

  • ATRL Moderator

Showgirl is her worst album but it's not as offensive as some people say it is. Like, it's obviously not on par with the rest of her discography - maybe it matches Loser, even though Loser is a bit better because it has more songs and therefore more highlights - but songs like Wood, CANCELLED!, Wi$h Li$t and Honey are very fun to listen to. I will never run to listen to them but if they're showing up on my playlist on random I'm also not skipping. The songs I'm not really replaying are Eldest Daughter, Actually Romantic and The Life of a Showgirl (S).

8 hours ago, Holiest Dreams said:

She's 100% still on the Toy Story soundtrack. All they said is she isn't on the end credits.

Just for reference, 3/4 of the Oscar nominated Toy Story songs were used in the movie and not the credits. And this is what we want; it'll be a much bigger moment actually being IN the movie.

Most big name movie songs drop 2-3 weeks prior to the movie release. So I'm guessing June 5th. The Chris Stapleton song for TS4 in 2019 also dropped two weeks prior.

My working theory is that some intern or useless old man on her team (idk who handles this kinda stuff) accidentally put the countdown up on April 30th when it was meant for May 30th deadbanana2 A June 1st announcement for a June 5th release makes perfect sense.

I'm kinda confused at everyone thinking it's not happening anymore? Her website used the actual backdrop from Toy Story, which is copyrighted property of Disney. She would not risk getting into legal trouble for funsies over her use of Disney material, so I mean it was obviously for a reason. I don't see any way they could've pulled out last minute either, because 1. why would they when this can be huge and we know she'd love an Oscar? & 2. this was probably a contractual thing they set up a while back. It's definitely happening.

It's mostly fault from her team and we are clowning

No insider has said that Taylor has song in Tay Story .. it would be public knowledge by now

Movie is already certified as well

Presales have started

We clowned for no reason

16 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

Showgirl is her worst album but it's not as offensive as some people say it is. Like, it's obviously not on par with the rest of her discography

Pretty much my thought about the album too. Both things are true. Showgirl is her worst album, but it's also just a mid album that you can find in pretty much every girls discography. Nearly nobody with a long career doesn't have at least one dud in their discography, let alone someone with 10+ albums.

But I guess my main grip with Showgirl is that the potential was there, and that's the most frustrating part. A large chunk of it was either rushed or not really taken seriously. For example, you mentioned Wish List, which for me is a typical example of a song that needed more work. The instrumental production is nice but could have been a bit more refined/elevated, and the lyrics' idea was cool too but executed a bit poorly. Because I do think a song discussing the contrast between normal people wanting exceptional things, and Taylor wanting that normality but all she can really have is this thing normal people want... that's super interesting. Like there was really something great that was possible with that song. And when the melody and vocal production & delivery is so good, having instrumentals and lyrics being a bit disappointing is frustrating (moreso when you mix a legendary producer with a legendary songwriter).

Edited by Incandescent Glow

Cancelled is an ok song but the underworld line makes me cringe so hard, more than any other line on the album.

8 hours ago, Dear Reader said:

Showgirl is her worst album but it's not as offensive as some people say it is. Like, it's obviously not on par with the rest of her discography - maybe it matches Loser, even though Loser is a bit better because it has more songs and therefore more highlights - but songs like Wood, CANCELLED!, Wi$h Li$t and Honey are very fun to listen to. I will never run to listen to them but if they're showing up on my playlist on random I'm also not skipping. The songs I'm not really replaying are Eldest Daughter, Actually Romantic and The Life of a Showgirl (S).

7 hours ago, Incandescent Glow said:

Pretty much my thought about the album too. Both things are true. Showgirl is her worst album, but it's also just a mid album that you can find in pretty much every girls discography. Nearly nobody with a long career doesn't have at least one dud in their discography, let alone someone with 10+ albums.

But I guess my main grip with Showgirl is that the potential was there, and that's the most frustrating part. A large chunk of it was either rushed or not really taken seriously. For example, you mentioned Wish List, which for me is a typical example of a song that needed more work. The instrumental production is nice but could have been a bit more refined/elevated, and the lyrics' idea was cool too but executed a bit poorly. Because I do think a song discussing the contrast between normal people wanting exceptional things, and Taylor wanting that normality but all she can really have is this thing normal people want... that's super interesting. Like there was really something great that was possible with that song. And when the melody and vocal production & delivery is so good, having instrumentals and lyrics being a bit disappointing is frustrating (moreso when you mix a legendary producer with a legendary songwriter).

Ugh spill clap3

I think Showgirl is a weak album for sure. But the special level of mental illness that transpired in reaction to it is solely because of who released it. If any other girl dropped this, nobody would bat an eye and it would probably have seen praise simply because the standards are so different.

It's really just subpar for Taylor's standards, but it gave us Ophelia, Father Figure, and Ruin The Friendship - all of which are career highlights in my opinion.

I also love Madonna and Kylie, and this album to me feels like her American Life or X. In the sense that it's a later/mid-stage career album that is quite subpar compared to her usual standards, but it has a couple all-timer songs scattered in as well to offset that. I don't know, that's just how I view it, because I feel the same way about those aforementioned albums.

With that said I still think TLOAS is much better than Lover. I really only love about 5 songs off Lover, which is the same amount of songs I love from Showgirl. But 5/12 > 5/18. I also just have an extreme aversion to Lover for some reason even though I loved it for a cute minute when it dropped.

I also much prefer the highs on this album over the ones on Lover or even reputation. But reputation is a more consistent album. I think, though, TLOAS is the final proof needed to say she really doesn't need to do any more of these very commercial sounding pop albums. Lover, reputation, and Showgirl are absolutely in her bottom 4 alongside Debut for me, with Debut in limbo because I know it will leapfrog all 3 in my ranking once we get the re-recording.

Like, Midnights stands out compared to the rest of her pop albums because it feels more like a burst of inspiration than an attempt at a commercial juggernaut. Yes, it's pop, but it has the bones of alternative Taylor, if that makes any sense. So if she wanted to do another pop album like that, then that's cool. And 1989 is simply one of those lightning in a bottle moments that is impossible to recreate. Yes, it's commercial, but it stands out because it really is that good. But I hope she goes more into rock, country, and alternative after this and stays there, unless she wants to do a dreampop/shoegaze album.

It's not pop music that's the issue, it's the specific type of pop music that she tends to gravitate towards imo. We need her to branch out if she wants to continue doing pop. I love electronic and synth music but she needs to serve something Beach House-esque.

Edited by Holiest Dreams

Fortnight already getting sisters ohhh

The forgotten classic will rise

I just zone out the lyrics and listen to TLOAS at this point lol

8 hours ago, Holiest Dreams said:

I think, though, TLOAS is the final proof needed to say she really doesn't need to do any more of these very commercial sounding pop albums. Lover, reputation, and Showgirl are absolutely in her bottom 4 alongside Debut for me, with Debut in limbo because I know it will leapfrog all 3 in my ranking once we get the re-recording.

Spill. clap3

I've said it many times. It's not, like you said, that she isn't good at pop music. She's definitely very good at it. It's just that this specific genre, with very tight and specific demands in terms of structure, lyricism and melodic cadence, seems to hinder her creativity imo. Or at least the genre doesn't cater to her core strengths as a songwriter. She's at her best with full fledge storytelling, when she can fully let her creativity run free. That's why albums like Speak Now, folklore and evermore are so incredible, because she was basically unconcerned with making hits. They were albums in which she wanted to showcase how strong of a songwriter/storyteller she is (I would also include Red and TTPD in that list albeit to a slightly lesser extent because she was kinda chasing both with these albums).

Tbh, that's why I never ever doubt her. Everytime she decides commercial success isn't a priority, we get a stone cold masterpiece (and the only two albums in which her commercial ambitions have resulted in disappointing results are Lover and Showgirl anyway, everything else in her catalogue is at the very least good). So I don't see why it wouldn't happen again.

Edited by Incandescent Glow

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.