Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Is reading in public performative?

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, TheVelvetRope said:

Only those who read while they stand in public transport 'cause all the seats are taken. Like, girl, it can't be THAT good what you're reading. Also, if you read in public without wearing noise-cancelling headphones or having your lips or face move in some way, are you even reading?

You mean things you stop doing once you learn to read fluently?

Edited by Haze

  • Replies 64
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ultraviolence.xx
    ultraviolence.xx

    is scrolling on your phone in public performative? (but yeah reading while walking is. like girl you're gonna get hit by a car. but on a metro is just fine)

  • Popboi.
    Popboi.

    If you think people reading while on their way home/work sitting on the metro is weird… maybe it's time to open a book

  • i swear yall find issue with N E THING. i rather see someone reading in public than committing crimes or bothering people in public.

This kind of thinking is why everyone in Gen Z is embarrassed to exist and be perceived doing anything but being a grey iPhone blob rip

Edited by Orsay

Real readers don't take their soft copies out while walking, travelling and eating in public places where they could be damaged. I'd be paranoid the whole time and instead prefer e-readers or audiobooks during hectic journeys

2 hours ago, Haze said:

You mean things you stop doing once you learn to read fluently?

If what you're reading is THAT good that you have to read it in public too, there's no way you're reading it completely poker-faced and not show any emotion stare.

25 minutes ago, KnightOfAllRealms said:

Real readers don't take their soft copies out while walking, travelling and eating in public places where they could be damaged. I'd be paranoid the whole time and instead prefer e-readers or audiobooks during hectic journeys

What? Idk about you or some others but I like carrying some of my books, reading when I'm traveling or going vacations. It's relaxing and it's also way better than doom scrolling my phone to kill time.

2 minutes ago, Odette Violet said:

What? Idk about you or some others but I like carrying some of my books, reading when I'm traveling or going vacations. It's relaxing and it's also way better than doom scrolling my phone to kill time.

Exactly.

e-books suck and audiobooks is not reading, it is listening to a podcast.

everyone in here dragging op deadbanana2 pretty sure he's referencing the "performative male" aesthetic that grew in popularity last year. with that said it's annoying how the most benign activities such as reading a book on public transport is seen as inauthentic to some people

I don't leave my house without a book. I'm 28 and I have been doing that since I was at least 10. Some people just like to read

If rather see someone read an ereader or a book than scrolling tiktok and rotting their brain, performative or not.

I'm chronically online enough to remember the original time this exact topic was threaded

suburban

Anyway I think more people should be reading in public. I think it's actually really healthy to encourage people to default to reading a couple of pages of a book when they're waiting for a train or something, rather than defaulting to scrolling through their phone like most of us do. I wanna start bringing a book with me more often

everything you do in public with strangers around is performative

Edited by truthteller

The only people who think this are illiterates who learned the word "performative" like two years ago and look for any opportunity to shoehorn it into a conversation. Maybe if they read a few books they'd know more than one multi-syllabic word. bird

3 hours ago, KnightOfAllRealms said:

Real readers don't take their soft copies out while walking, travelling and eating in public places where they could be damaged. I'd be paranoid the whole time and instead prefer e-readers or audiobooks during hectic journeys

Real readers love having books that actually show they've been read and weren't just bought to sit on a shelf and never be opened. rogue2

Shaming people for reading in this day and age it's not a cute look considering how dumb everyone's getting

People who read on public transport in London are definitely into their reading you can clearly see it it's not performative

Reading while you walk is a bit performative, you can't barely pay attention to the street and be focus reading. But waiting a bus/subway or while riding the subway is totally normal, or while eating something.

Back a few years I had to wait around 30min for the bus to go home from work, and the bus ride was another 30 min, so I would often read something to pass the time.

  • ATRL Moderator

This just might be the saddest thread ever posted on ATRL dot net.

suburban

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.