Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Why does Atrl hate Taylor Swift Now?

Featured Replies

-Her talent and quality of music doesn't match her level of success.

-Her fans on ATRL are kinda nice but on Twitter they're a disaster.

-Extremely overexposed. 

  • Replies 140
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • The Music Industry
    The Music Industry

    For the last 2 years she's been dominating like practically no other artist has ever done, so a lot of people here got VERY bitter about it over time     EDIT: Just look at who di

  • Badgalbriel
    Badgalbriel

    Because they're tired of seeing her success. It happens to every big artist here. 

  • I'm neither a fan nor a hater but the things with billie and charli did annoyed me a bit ngl.

21 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Well the "hype" of Midnights -> Eras Tour -> TTPD was technically built/brick brick by brick from actual deserving steps in her career: folklore -> evermore -> AOTY TV -> Magnum Opus TV. She's just reaping the harvest of the seeds she's sown. It's like 25 wasn't that great but 21 ensured whatever came next would be huge. Once Eras Tour is over her hype will subside and she'll have to create QUALITY art again to maintain a tremendous amount of success.

I'm not saying the hype isn't deserved; I'm saying I think she is squandering an opportunity the serve the best albums of her career while the world's eyes are on her. Her recent works have felt very complacent and concerned moreso on the speed and quantity of output at the expense of her usual quality. I get that's probably a business decision she has chosen to make from her end (and fair enough - you might as well make hay while the sun shines), but as someone who has enjoyed her past works, I do find it frustrating; as I only see the response from her fans perpetuating this approach from her. 

Edited by Wonderland

6 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

I'm not saying the hype isn't deserved; I'm saying I think she is squandering an opportunity the serve the best albums of her career while the world's eyes are on her. Her recent works have felt very complacent and concerned moreso on the speed and quantity of output at the expense of her usual quality. I get that's probably a business decision she has chosen to make from her end (and fair enough - you might as well make hay while the sun shines), but as someone who has enjoyed her past works ,I do find it frustrating; as I only see the response from her fans perpetuating this approach from her. 

I can see why you feel that way. She has definitely chosen success over artistry during the peak of her career. While we may wish she had chosen the other way, I personally understand — she's guaranteed her artistry at any point in life. With folklore and evermore I feel like she proved that if she wanted to pivot and completely disregard commercially viable music, she could. And that's something she'll always be able to do. But she has a limited window for success, especially at the level she has opted to pursue. So she's using this chance to go out with a bang, which is a fair decision — it cements a legacy that is almost undeniable.
 

It's off putting for those that prefer artistry to success, absolutely: even as one of her hardcore fans I find myself wishing she'd used this opportunity to push the boundaries of her artistry a little more. But I also have no doubt she'll do that later on, when she knows her window for gargantuan success is completely closed. And since idc about numbers or charts anyways it doesn't matter to me if those albums get less attention. evermore is my favorite album of hers despite being her least successful. 
 

TLDR - I see your perspective and even agree with it in theory. But I understand why Taylor has chosen the path she has chosen. I'll still be around even when all eyes are no longer on her and she chooses to opt for artistic evolution. 

Edited by PoisonedIvy

Now?

 

I've been browsing this site since 2013 and ATRL has always been more hateful towards Taylor, because she doesn't fit certain stans' subjective ideal of what a "pop girl" should be, so the fact that she has amassed all this success, impact, influence and power over who most ATRLers are or have been rooting for rubs them the wrong way. Even with 'folklore' and 'evermore', when she was arguably at her most liked on this site, many people here dismissed them as "boring", "an inferior version of XYZ", "leftover b-sides" (for 'evermore' specifically) and whatnot. And now that her career has reached new heights in recent years, they find her success even more perplexing, not understanding the simple fact that taste in music is not uniform and that what they don't see in her or her music, millions of others do.

But I guess for some people it's just easier to continue upholding their personal views as if they were a general standard everyone else must adhere to.

 

stephm.png

her last two albums are bad and she's super annoying as a person. swifties are annoying too, even more than TS. 

Do they? She gets dragged like every other artist. 

Edited by Shelter

Now?
 

she's been getting hate forever making songs about her exes

 

then for making never getting back together, shake it off, me!, karma

I dont dislike her, I dislike her stans.

 

Now, with that being said... I want Lana keep distance :suburban:

THOTS have always been there, they're just getting louder because they're frustrated that every hate campaign they tried to launch against her has failed lol. 

I do have to wonder where the "Taylor's last two albums were bad" narrative is coming from (especially given the output from some of the artists y'all stan) when they contain songs like these:

 

Spoiler
Spoiler

 

I get that they're not folklore songs (which the majority of ATRLers find boring anyway nnn), but running around acting as if these two albums are dogshit because they each have like 2-3 songs people generally don't like (as do literally every single Taylor album - y'all bandwagon stan hard for Red/1989/folklore but I see nothing but hate for Stay Stay Stay or Bad Blood, and how many of y'all are actually listening epiphany?) is a ludicrous narrative to me :deadbanana4:

 

Y'all wanted to hate her so badly that you (maybe) skimmed TTPD once, decided it wasn't worth your time, and declared that it's the worst thing ever (and the way some of y'all have suddenly decided Midnights is a terrible album after two years is just so funny to me) :gaycat6:

 

Hate all you want because of emissions or whatever (so long as you're not throwing stones from your glass house nnn), but significant chunks of both Midnights and TTPD **** on every release from some girls this side of the Bush Administration, and calling them "bad" given the material that the girls in your avi are putting out... :gaycat4:

6 hours ago, Feanor said:

Now?

 

I've been browsing this site since 2013 and ATRL has always been more hateful towards Taylor, because she doesn't fit certain stans' subjective ideal of what a "pop girl" should be, so the fact that she has amassed all this success, impact, influence and power over who most ATRLers are or have been rooting for rubs them the wrong way. Even with 'folklore' and 'evermore', when she was arguably at her most liked on this site, many people here dismissed them as "boring", "an inferior version of XYZ", "leftover b-sides" (for 'evermore' specifically) and whatnot. And now that her career has reached new heights in recent years, they find her success even more perplexing, not understanding the simple fact that taste in music is not uniform and that what they don't see in her or her music, millions of others do.

But I guess for some people it's just easier to continue upholding their personal views as if they were a general standard everyone else must adhere to.

 

stephm.png

:cm:

 

I remember the 2016-2018 hate train, and honestly, these current hate threads just make me roll my eyes.

3 hours ago, BLΔCKP!NK said:

THOTS have always been there, they're just getting louder because they're frustrated that every hate campaign they tried to launch against her has failed lol. 

I know all those tiktok girlies that tried to cancel her collectively with her "witchcraft" and "blasphemous" lyrics have been dead silent since the end of April and I love it. 

1 hour ago, wastedpotential said:

I do have to wonder where the "Taylor's last two albums were bad" narrative is coming from (especially given the output from some of the artists y'all stan) when they contain songs like these:

 

  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

 

I get that they're not folklore songs (which the majority of ATRLers find boring anyway nnn), but running around acting as if these two albums are dogshit because they each have like 2-3 songs people generally don't like (as do literally every single Taylor album - y'all bandwagon stan hard for Red/1989/folklore but I see nothing but hate for Stay Stay Stay or Bad Blood, and how many of y'all are actually listening epiphany?) is a ludicrous narrative to me :deadbanana4:

 

Y'all wanted to hate her so badly that you (maybe) skimmed TTPD once, decided it wasn't worth your time, and declared that it's the worst thing ever (and the way some of y'all have suddenly decided Midnights is a terrible album after two years is just so funny to me) :gaycat6:

 

Hate all you want because of emissions or whatever (so long as you're not throwing stones from your glass house nnn), but significant chunks of both Midnights and TTPD **** on every release from some girls this side of the Bush Administration, and calling them "bad" given the material that the girls in your avi are putting out... :gaycat4:

right? Yes the TTPD is 31 song along but I can pick 13 of them as a collective album that poos all over a lot of recent releases and is on par with Cowboy Carter and Billie's latest. Midnights was 1989s less popular sister and Folklore and Evermore are masterpieces. She's been pretty consistent for me but also my music tastes are all over the spectrum. She could do heavy metal or bluegrass and I'd probably like it 

1. The success/acclaim doesn't match with the output. She's a poor performer, okay songwriter (when she puts effort), and has the vocal abilities of any girl singing their first gig at a dive bar. Nothing about her is extraordinary yet we're gaslit that she is.

 

2. Her insufferable fans that live vicariously through her success and actually believe her own hype.

 

3. Herself. She comes across like someone who's not only extremely thin-skinned and insecure, but also hypocritical and genuinely not a nice person. She's incapable of not being the center of attention and prioritizes the business aspect of music rather than the art of it which sucks the life out of pop culture and mainstream music as a whole.

3 hours ago, bad guy said:

1. The success/acclaim

Yeah we know it bothers you :suburban:

i wish haters would have same amount of energy for "mediocre" men that are on top of the charts constantly

 

taylor is whitney houston, janet jackson and celine dion in one compared to those morgans and drakes

 

 

 

I genuinely don't think anyone on here actively « hate » Taylor Swift. She hasn't done anything that warrants receiving actual hate.

 

I feel like most people (including myself) simply do not understand the insane commercial success she's having because her music is in our opinion extremely boring and generic. On top of that, she's not a good performer and releases music all the time, which probably plays a role in why so many people are tired of hearing about her. 

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature

9 hours ago, The Music Industry said:

Yeah we know it bothers you :suburban:

It didn't much until the TTPD shenanigans with HMHAS but at least it's panned so that kinda evened itself out.

 

:suburban:

On 6/21/2024 at 10:19 PM, Tylerbv said:

Her fanbase is insufferable 

It's so funny how the first few posts are all about how successful she is which is why people are mad.

 

It's just so ironic how these morons can't even see they, as the annoying Swifties they are, are the main reason she's so critiqued online. If mods banned Swifties from talking about her success for 24 hours they'd all spontaneously combust. They cannot live without her success :rip: 

On 6/21/2024 at 10:11 PM, Badgalbriel said:

Isn't that literally a good thing? :deadbanana2:

 

They're basically calling her a gunner. They're comparing her to those high school kids who are hyper-competitive, spend all their time on College Confidential and will do anything to get into a top school. 
 

I can't fully hate though cause that was basically my personality at 17. :chick1:

2 minutes ago, Rotunda said:

They're basically calling her a gunner. They're comparing her to those high school kids who are hyper-competitive, spend all their time on College Confidential and will do anything to get into a top school. 
 

I can't fully hate though cause that was basically my personality at 17. :chick1:

That's literally what people should be 

Just now, Badgalbriel said:

That's literally what people should be 

Speaking from personal experience, not really :chick1:

I don't hate Taylor, I check out her new releases, and I'd say I was a fan during Folklore/Evermore, and she has a couple songs that I'd say are the most important to my life.


I will say it's a bit of turnoff that she's become deified after releasing two tragic studio albums, and that a contingent of her fanbase treats her as like the symbol for womanhood in America. Her wins are painted as wins for feminism, and her detractors are painted as anti-feminist, in a way that makes serious engagement with her art very hard on certain platforms (primarily TikTok). 
 

At the same time, the same fans that want to put her on this insane pedestal also want to deflect from any criticism she gets her for personal/political life, which is wild to me. 
 

I'd also venture to guess a lot of the most unhinged Taylor fans are actually pretty recent converts…

 

This issue isn't solely related to Taylor, I think a lot of people tried painting Barbie's wins/losses as wins/losses for womankind, and acted like it was the only feminist movie released that year. I think a similar over-politicization has been done in the name of WOC attached to recent films with Oscar buzz (Killers of the Flower Moon, Black Panther 2, Everything Everywhere All At Once). 
 

As a Chappell fan, I hope she has a good head on her shoulders, because I've noticed a lot of her fans overidentify with her in a similar fashion, and it can be a lot to take in. 

 

 

She has some good songs and she's fun to watch breaking records and all that but she seems so fake and unpleasant to be around

She's not interesting and too safe according to Courtney. 

:coffee2:

Edited by nightowl

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.