Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 840.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

just going to repost the variety interview from last month where she literally says this is a pop record. the fans and outlets let themselves run wild with the psychedelic rave fantasy after seeing her collaborators for the album. 

 


https://variety.com/2024/music/news/dua-lipa-radical-optimism-houdini-training-season-interview-1235945095/

Quote

Well, for me, I think the Britpop element that really came to me was the influences of Oasis and Massive Attack and Portishead and Primal Scream, and the freedom and the energy those records had. I love the experimentation behind it. And of course, it's a pop record. I'm a pop artist, that's what I do. But I think overall, the different sounds that are being used, the different breaks in the music, the use of musical samples, whether that's with Kevin's voice or with the different instruments that we used, overall it was me going completely out of what I knew, and exploring something different.

And that's what I got from my inspiration. I wasn't going into Britpop and being like, l'm making this record that sounds exactly like...

Because it doesn't. But it's a feeling that they portray that when I hear "Teardrop" by Massive Attack and I'm like, how did this song even come to be? It feels like it just happened in a moment of real freedom and writing and emotion, and I think that was just the feeling I was trying to convey more than anything.

 

I love the idea behind "the band" and I love how all of them were so immersed in the album process start to finish, but I wish some songs were just Kevin, or just Danny. With different writers as well maybe. I feel like they were compromising sometimes not going all out with their ideas. But at the same time, every song on the album has so many details, it's a whole theatrical sound-shown on headphones

I don't understand why is she flopping. Loved all the singles (specially training season) and after a first listen, the album is good, maybe not as addictive/immediate as future nostalgia was but in line with It.

Edited by Zkn

1 minute ago, knewbetterpt2 said:

just going to repost the variety interview from last month where she literally says this is a pop record. the fans and outlets let themselves run wild with the psychedelic rave fantasy after seeing her collaborators for the album. 

 


https://variety.com/2024/music/news/dua-lipa-radical-optimism-houdini-training-season-interview-1235945095/

 

This. However, as she always learns from her "mistakes", I feel like she will be more careful with her words next era (even tho we still have some no sense shits like kaleidoscope thing) 

I wish she would push a bit more vocally. Her vocals on Whatcha doin for example are not matching the energy on the track as it builds. She needs to build her vocals in conjunction with the instrumentals. 

It's so funny see the reviews of this and not be able to listen it yet:
 

"no hits", "full of instant hits", "French Exit is the worst", "French Exit the best", "not a single song like Levitating or Physical", "________ is the Levitating of this album"


:duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck:

27 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

if you get it you would see how all the songs fit perfectly together... and the aesthetic fits the album really well too. this was always a summer album.

Gurl stop, this album is good but not cohsive at all, and the track listing is a bit off to me too. Illusion is very jarring where it is. 

this is my first listening and 

 

end of the era is a great opener :jonny5:

5 minutes ago, scottstreet said:

I don't understand why the album is out rn on UK and not on midnight local time? 12am UK time is the exact time when Spotify starts counting streams for the full debut day. This will mess up her day one streams a bit. So weird. :deadbanana:

Still not out for me I fear, and I'm in the UK 

I feel like Whatcha Doing would've been a better second single than Training Season tbh

10 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

OUT IN EUROPE :duck:

:clap3: AOTY has been release 

4 minutes ago, knewbetterpt2 said:

just going to repost the variety interview from last month where she literally says this is a pop record. the fans and outlets let themselves run wild with the psychedelic rave fantasy after seeing her collaborators for the album. 

 


https://variety.com/2024/music/news/dua-lipa-radical-optimism-houdini-training-season-interview-1235945095/

Fair, but as much as I want to defend her, it's not just fans. It's Dua herself, very strongly:

 

 

I think she just isn't good as describing her output :deadbanana: I'm sure she will be more careful with her words in the future

3 minutes ago, Yes, AND said:

I wish she would push a bit more vocally. Her vocals on Whatcha doin for example are not matching the energy on the track as it builds. She needs to build her vocals in conjunction with the instrumentals. 

YES! Though, bad song example (IMO) for a point that I totally agree with and have been saying... Since I think WD is one of her best, most personable vocal takes on the album. Though she always puts a lot of oomph and energy into her vocals, I gotta say!

1 minute ago, Iceland said:

this is my first listening and 

 

end of the era is a great opener :jonny5:

Yes!!!! Enjoy

 

13 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

Listening now. I love End of an Era so far :duca: 

Enjoy the experience!

 

12 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

OUT IN EUROPE :duck:

I hope you like the album 

end of an era / houdini / training season 

this trinity :clap3:

 

These walls changes the mood of the album a bit, let's see. Cute bop tho :gaycat5:

These Walls is kind of a fusion of Keane type of old britpop and Harry Styles new britpop, it's gonna pop off live (it also reminds me of some other UK pop hit that I can't think of yet)

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I feel like Whatcha Doing would've been a better second single than Training Season tbh

Completely agree, it's a smash. Gives me Cuff it vibes. 

Just now, Ghost said:

These Walls is kind of a fusion of Keane type of old britpop and Harry Styles new britpop, it's gonna pop off live (it also reminds me of some other UK pop hit that I can't think of yet)

Very spot on! 
Psychedelia was a lie, Britpop was the truth :duck:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.