Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

This Album is very solid, but it's so short…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SayIt

• mike_int

• Cain

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

2 hours and half for my first listen :jonny:

everyone better be JUMPING

IMG_6430.thumb.gif.0203accc98443dc4ff3c5

So close! I hope you enjoy :duca:

End of an Era - great lyrics but the melodies feel very childlish and silly? It might grow on me but not the biggest fan
Houdini - a smash in my household

Training Season - it grew on me since release, it's cool
These Walls - wow, so fresh for her. I really love this one
Whatcha Doing - it feels too structured in a way? I have this feeling about a lot of Dua's music. It would be nice if the lyrics were slightly different in the second pre-chorus compared to the first one. Or if the melodies evolved and expanded in the second verse instead of just copy pasting the same structure throughout the song. But it's not bad I guess

French Exit - it has a lot of potential but some parts were straight up annoying

Illusion - not the biggest fan of this sound but it's growing on me

Falling Forever - wow, the vocals and lyrics. A big highlight!

Anything For Love - quite nice but feels unfinished?

Maria - another smash. Really good fresh effort!

Happy For You - good bones but something is missing. My biggest issue with this album is that the melodies often feel silly? I don't know

out of the new songs These Walls, Falling Forever and Maria are my top 3

• Like 1

Wow, Houdini was SO promising but this album is a huge skip for me. Falling Forever, Maria and a bunch of others just sound like really bad Eurovision songs.

I can forgive so much when it comes to pop music but BORING pop? No. 

You have Danny L Harle on the team and release that album? Just no.

The first and last track were nice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

There's nothing psychodelic about this album btw. All the references she kept naming and the whole concept of radical optimism... I don't know. It's a good pure pop (it's much less dancey than I thought it would be, it's mostly guitar driven actually) album and not everything needs to have some bigger concept.

She should've named it something slightly more generic and just market is as an album that's exploring different sides of being a modern single woman or whatever. It's kinda silly when I listen to her interviews now knowing how the album really sounds like.

• Like 2

I just finished my first listen to the album, and I really like it. What separates it from Future Nostalgia is that FN was an album full of hits, where any song could have easily been a single. Radical Optimism, on the other hand, is an excellent album, but it doesn't have clear standouts - except maybe Maria. So far my favorite tracks, besides singles, are End of An Era, Falling Forever and Maria.

It's truly a very nice and easy album to listen to, I can't wait to hear it on my vinyl. My only complaint is that I wish it was a bit longer, an extra song or two.

It feels so good to say that staying radically optimistic paid off, cause the album is pretty damn fine and I'm happy to come back from my reviewing retirement for a little one of :bird:

Throughout this chaotic rollout Dua herself led us to what ended up being several misconceptions about what this album is, what does it sound like, what does it aim for. There is no point in deluding ourselves further that she went in for some psychedelic pop or adapted the sound from trip hoppy vibes likes of Massive Attack. But once you let go of it all, the album just defends itself by being really fun!

As soon as End of An Era kicked in, I knew this album just won't be what we were promised (or even directly teased with the singles, especially Houdini), but it stopped mattering very quickly with how brilliant that very track is. Sparkly, joyful, effortlessly charming self calling out anthem that just overflows with personality. Future Nostalgia title track has always been a fave of mine, not just because of its sharp instrumentation, but also because of how much charm Dua shows on it. In a way, I treat End of an Era as a title track of the album too. It's the sort of unfazed euphoria, borderline delusion, but with more positive effect than harm, that I would expect from a Dua Lipa record called Radical Optimism. 

But moreso than optimism, the album strikes with confidence and you can't get more of it than on the record's first two singles. While I find them both to be absolute discography highlights and brilliant usage of the minds of Kevin Parker & Danny L Harle, they sort of help me notice the first problem I have with the record. It's not cohesive.. at least not enough for how conceptual and thought out it seemed to be. And don't get me wrong, Future Nostalgia was also sold as more cohesive than it actually is, but Radical Optimism seemed like a product of much tighter process and Houdini, while being a thrilling dance pop masterpiece, sonically sounds like it belongs to a different record. Training Season definitely maintains the balance more even though it belongs to the same world as Houdini, so taking this perspective, I also understand the initial idea behind Training Season being the lead single. In the end though Houdini being picked instead was sort of salutary blessing. Not only it remains the best performing track and our acclaimed little modern classic, it pushed itself into this album space firmly.

I haven't thought yet if changing the tracklist order fixes the issue, but with These Walls being more breezy, adult-contemporary adjacent track, those two singles really feel kind of squeezed. Flipping the narrative a bit, I could see These Walls being a good single pick down the line. Not only is it far more representative of how lightweight Radical Optimism is, it also has this GP-friendly tinge. It's not crazy good for the gay music forum (or me personally), but it's more accessible than the overbearing pop choruses picked so far to tease the album. Unfortunately These Walls will have to step aside for now, cause the ultimate gem highlighting what's best about Dua's blissful pop and what the general public could absorb the best is without a doubt Watcha Doing. Not too much, not too little, just twinkles, sparks, vibes and grooves all in perfect proportions. It's the sound some might keep ugly-calling reductive for her, saying she needs to "switch things up". The reality is, she is the master of her craft, she has her niche and no, she is not stuck in it, she plays with it, she expands on it and Watcha Doing is a fantastic proof of her doing it well. There are so many details, all complimenting each other, but not outshining themselves at any point. All coming together like a sky full of stars. This is Dua at her best and I'm puzzled how come we weren't offered this breezy trip earlier in the rollout.

But the album, as any, doesn't come without more flawed tracks. On Radical Optimism they grouped together in a 3-track run I can comfortably say is my personal bottom 3, Illusion - Falling Forever - Anything for Love. Can't say any of these are particularly bad, but they all come with some icks I find hard to ignore. Flipping what I said earlier, Illusion is like a personification of all the drags directed at Dua's sound not progressive enough with her career. It's generic, predictable and somehow still messy even with how overtly polished the house production is. Singling out particular sounds you can tell once again Kevin and Danny had their hand in its production, but none of it is coming together in an interesting harmony you'd expect from a track that was noted as a breakthrough moment of Dua's new sound. On top of that the lyrics are bad, they could be AI-generated for all we know. I can already predict that Falling Forever not being a highlight must be a rare case, but the track's arguably only issue sadly manifests itself all over its, or any pop song's really, core part - the chorus is jarring. Not only is the production so staggering the track quickly turns into some Eurovision entry from Georgia, but Dua's vocal run, while impressive, is not vibrant or toned enough to be pleasant to the ears. Still though elsewhere the track offers a lot of cool elements, notably in the bridge. The third "offender", Anything For Love, deserves as little of a write up as the song has to offer. It seems to be trying to achieve sort of unfiltered rawness like an indie-baiting concept track, but neither does Dua pull it off well, not it deserves a place on a strikingly polished dance pop record. It's just an undercooked, unfinished demo that ends before it really starts. Safe to say the team of Ian Kirkpatrick and Julia Michaels long squeezed what's best of them for Dua already.

Luckily there are two more bangers elsewhere on the record. Both Maria and French Exit offer slightly ethnic, more ungrounded vibe which doesn't contribute much to the earlier noted cohesion of the record, but they fill their own different lane that will definitely find its fans as well. To me they compromise for some of the long lost Future Nostalgia outtakes that didn't make the record not because they weren't good enough, but because they just didn't fit. It was easier to place that kind of sound on Radical Optimism.

Last, but not least, or even, best, for last. Happy For You. This is the song that I've been waiting for, from first winds of Kevin Parker being the producer of the album to Dua immensely hyping it as her pride and one of the most important pieces she's ever written. It's a grand finale that truly combines the spirit of "the band", the very people who were a part of this process from the beginning till the end. It's a powerful nostalgia filled, credits-rolling moment of the album, it's impossible to imagine anything else as a closer. It's also definitely the most Tame Impala track of Radical Optimism with Kevin's signature wobbly synthesized voice-passages and harsh, rough, drum patterns. A part of me wishes elsewhere on the record we got vibes this close to the genius of the Currents' mastermind.

It feels a bit pointless to write thoughts that will probably shift so much over time, but what I know for sure, is that Ms Lipa delivered another colorful, airy, yet steadfast pop record that I will gladly cherish for years to come. It might not be the monumental beacon that Future Nostalgia was, but it's a notable milestone is her already delightful career.

• Like 8

Okay these walls is hitting now. :gayalipacat3:

• Like 3

Why did she talk it up like it would be a psychedelic genre-bending experimental masterpiece when for the most part it's a standard pop album tho

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ahauntingnearu said:

I just DON'T get why she refuses to do key changes or additional vocals or lets the songs' instrumentals breathe; everything is waaaay too rushed and while all very good, there's usually no payoff or climax with anything. With a few exceptions of course. 

Overall very solid, but a lot more this time (vs. FN) that I would have improved. Maybe it's a personal thing idk

At least there are no duds tho, unlike FN :clap3: 

Thanks I agree  with you the songs are going so fast, too much at once and if there were melodies i could hear them if she let some of the instrumental shine. Thats why making 2 to 3 mins song for tik tok is bad.  It's like it was engineered in a lab to be a hit. I dont feel anything when I listen to those songs. Just noise to be honest.

• Like 2

I just realised why the rest of the album immediately clicked with me, it's very similar to Crocodile Tears (one of her best unreleased) in terms of sound. Honestly, she should just tack that song on a digital deluxe cuz it would fit so well, especially after Happy For You, it has the same summery vibe. Perfect opportunity :cm:

y'all... i'm nervous. the way you're spilling that the songs lack depth, interesting adlibs or switch ups.... i'm VERY worried they will sound bland and monotonous

3 hours ago, Relampago. said:

Oh you stan the amazing albums this year I see

People  like you who have taste  know which albums to listen to!

Just now, kayliah said:
3 hours ago, Relampago. said:

Oh you stan the amazing albums this year I see

People  like you who have taste  know which albums to listen to!

oh thanks

People, being inspired does not mean sounding exactly like it. 

But yeah Future Nostalgia title track definitely remains her best song, I believe one day she will top it tho, she is definitely very ambitious, she just hasn't reached her full potential yet  :allears:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BlackoutZone said:

But yeah Future Nostalgia title track definitely remains her best song, I believe one day she will top it tho, she is definitely very ambitious, she just hasn't reached her full potential yet  :allears:

Love love Future Nostalgia title track :alexz:

Cant wait to hear End of an Era :duca:

• Thanks 1

selena_lavigne gives this album a 4/5. 
End Of An Era - 8/10

Houdini - 9/10

Training Season - 7.8/10

These Walls - 10/10

Watcha Doin - 7.5/10

French Exit - 7/10

Illusion - 9/10

Falling Forever - 9/10 (let me pretend she had some really cool high adlibs at the end to keep it at a 9)

Anything For Love - 8/10

Maria - 6.5/10 

Happy For You - 8/10

• Thanks 1

Don't if it's me being an pessimist rn but it feels like even the "chicken" is underperforming. Please God don't let this happen to Dua  :gaycat6::deadbanana:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Even the haters on twitter like this album. :duck: can't wait

• Like 6

1 minute ago, selena_lavigne said:

selena_lavigne gives this album a 4/5. 
End Of An Era - 8/10

Houdini - 9/10

Training Season - 7.8/10

These Walls - 10/10

Watcha Doin - 7.5/10

French Exit - 7/10

Illusion - 9/10

Falling Forever - 9/10 (let me pretend she had some really cool high adlibs at the end to keep it at a 9)

Anything For Love - 8/10

Maria - 6.5/10 

Happy For You - 8/10

Thanks for sharing your review of the album. This makes me excited :duca:

2 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

Even the haters on twitter like this album. :duck: can't wait

She is coming :duca:

This is just the beginning :duca:

Expand your audience Dua :duca:

Dua Lipa - they wont cause they love to have u begging them for the songs, stop following them in x,telegram,discord,youtube they use u for having more followers and give nothing.txt

The meltdowns in certain page :dies:

• Like 1

9 hours for me

i think my country will be the last to receive it ****

Screen_Shot_2017-11-10_at_10.36.15_AM.jp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator

I was so hype for this album… and I’m so underwhelmed with my listen so far :rip: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.