Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Is the personal digital music library concept outdated?

Featured Replies

Well? Is it? I've been 'collecting' music in my iTunes/Apple Music library for over a decade and suddenly, after trying YouTube music I find myself using my own "library" less and less.

I don't care to listen Black Widow by Iggy and Rita coming on shuffle from 10 years ago.

I log into YouTube or even Spotify and they instantly know what I'm listening to TODAY and still using from YESTERDAY. You know what I mean?

Discuss.

No, if you listen to anything outside mainstream. P4K's last two best albums of the year are not even on streaming.

Yes it was replaced by streaming playlist but i still use my personal playlist so i dont have to listen to billie songs playing with autoplay

No, half of what I have in my own iTunes/Apple Music library isn't available on streaming. Mainly b-sides, remixes, edits etc and more obscure material which hasn't been licensed for streaming. I don't listen to them every day like I do with Spotify/AM, but I'd be devastated if I was to lose that catalogue.

I use my music library to scrobble music with the correct tags. I don't want ugly shite like "(Original Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition)" in it and I'm not paying Last.fm a single cent

No, I own all my lossless files and the internet can shut down and I will have all my music still. Y'all will regret not having one.

No. There are plenty of consumers and music fans who value not only organizing their library, but also having certain tracks in it that are not available on streaming services. It sounds like you, individually, are not one of those consumers.

no, i keep all of my music local and love it so much.

29 minutes ago, Maxxxine said:

I log into YouTube or even Spotify and they instantly know what I'm listening to TODAY and still using from YESTERDAY. You know what I mean?

and last.fm exists!!!

My library on Amazon is huge simply after years and years of buying music, but I use YouTube and streaming services a lot more. The quality in music nowadays doesn't make worth purchasing anymore.

The quality/incentive was there for "Popstar" by Tinashe, though. She got my support/coins.

Not if you have Apple Music. I can scarcely remember which songs in my library are bought and which ones are on loan. The line comes in around 2015 and the last music I recall buying was 50% of Troye's Blue Neighborhood.

i have over 1,100 CDs and i have everything transferred as FLAC in my hard drive <3

90% of my digital library consists of unreleased material. I use Spotify for everyday streaming

I have lost all my downloaded songs (since early 2000s). I will start downloading all my fav ones again based on my current playlists on Spotify whenever I have the patience.

The shyt thing about depending on streaming is, having songs that you love, getting removed from streaming services randomly. Makes you realise you are paying them and still in risk of losing your stuff randomly

Not at all, at least for true music collectors.

There are a LOT of things not available to stream anywhere, it makes it easier to adjust UGLY titles/covers/etc. and manage your library/plays as you see fit, and maintains songs in their original form (no removing of uncleared/revoked Kelis samples, "spelling is fun!" lyrics, etc.)

Plus Apple Music makes it incredibly easy to integrate with streaming (not sure about Shoddify)

I still use an iPod Classic 160 GB. It's like new. I plug it into a huge speaker and that's it.

well yes but only because its easier to stream then download a song. Plus I like my streams counting to stats.fm. I got all my local music still saved like Hyunjin's solos and Allday's mixtapes (thank god im not giving Allday my streams doing this) but idk if it doesnt sync to stats.fm it makes me listen to it less.

I love having my music libary. You get to be creative with it. I can add every bside, change the cover, reorder tracks. Whatever I like. I like to have a complete experience when it comes to artists i really like and the streaming services wouldn't be enough for me, tbh

Not for me gaycat4
I love my digital pc music library cause i like to arrange the albums as i want, add my own artworks, demos,acoustic versions,remixes and unreleased
So, they feel far more complete than the streaming versions. Of course i enjoy streaming but i go to my music library all the time
Im also scared of celebs just erasing songs from streaming. I like to own my stuff for life. squirrel
Here a preview of my digital music library. Just a small preview

Hn5Sxmo.png

does it matter if its "outdated" ? Are you trying to be cool and hip or something?

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.

its just music. Something u play when u are bored or in the car and its not serious

Edited by Tate

Recently Browsing 1

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.