Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

Training Season, These Walls, Whatcha Doing, & Anything For Love are the standouts

 

but I'm not really gagging. I'm enjoying have it on in the background while I work, but I'm not gagging.

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 840.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

10 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Funny you say that because I've read somewhere someone saying that this is Dua's Harry's House and honestly, I kinda see it

AOTY coming :duca:

It's just so bland and hookless. It doesn't go anywhere, doesn't say anything, zero replay value. Major dud.

 

Hope she can recover somehow, but such a letdown after your breakthrough era is almost a death sentence in pop. 

3 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

AOTY coming :duca:

We need the hits and acclaim though :chick3:

Edited by Hephaestus

2 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

It's just so bland and hookless. It doesn't go anywhere, doesn't say anything, zero replay value. Major dud.

 

Hope she can recover somehow, but such a letdown after your breakthrough era is almost a death sentence in pop. 

I get that it somehow lacks the magic und punch of the HIGHS of FN but hookless?

 

I know it's not the easiest to do when one is let down by a record but maybe spin it some more times? Because I definitely am hooked.

8 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I think you're right, and on the bright side, I do think Dua is going to take a lot of these critiques and learn from them. Kind of makes me more excited for DL4, because following up FN was always going to be an impossible task, but recovering from RO gives her alot of criticism to work with, while FN got almost none to work off of. The main critique of FN being GIV/BWBB, which notably this album doesn't have.

 

She's a smart girl, I'm sure she'll be fine, but she really needs to get a better team ASAP.

Yeah thankfully Dua has a thick skin and hopefully this will all provide motivation for DL4.

 

Hopefully she doesn't take as long though. I can't see this era stretching 1-2 years like FN.

1 minute ago, STMG23 said:

I get that it somehow lacks the magic und punch of the HIGHS of FN but hookless?

 

I know it's not the easiest to do when one is let down by a record but maybe spin it some more times? Because I definitely am hooked.

Yeah I definitely disagree with hookless too. The songs are definitely much more mellow and less bouncy/punchy than FN, but the hooks are definitely there lol

Just now, NoOneDiesFromLove said:

Oh so this is her Solar Power.. :michael:

This album is solid, unlike Solar Power which was unlistenable.

I don't get the disappointment, the album is non stop bops . Consistent and cohesive  :clap3:

The flutes/pipes on Whatcha Doing and French Exit remind me of the sample from Jenny from the Block. 

On 4/29/2024 at 5:53 PM, AdrianNicki said:

I really like that underwater picture more than the official cover. Do we have it in HQ?

radical-optimism-albumcover.jpg

Stan twitter is eating her up for serving panned & flop :rip: 

While almost any criticism is valid, I believe a lot of peoples' disappointment from this album comes from how refreshing Future Nostalgia was when it was first released and how massive it became. Also, let's not forget that it was virtually the only mainstream pop girl era and uptempo summer soundscape album during the peak of the pandemic.

 

Yes, Radical Optimism is a different record but I think people are failing to understand this definitely shows plenty of growth for Dua. The sonic landscape—while baring some similarities to her previous record in a couple of songs—is quite different and a natural evolution. The attention to detail in the production is crisper than 95% of any album released, the lyricsm is mature and cohesive, the melodies are infectious and diverse, and the vocals are immaculate and versatile.

 

So yes, feel however you wish to feel about this album, but please don't overlook the obvious: This is arguably her best and most self-aware work to-date.

4 minutes ago, skwonderfactory said:

While almost any criticism is valid, I believe a lot of peoples' disappointment from this album comes from how refreshing Future Nostalgia was when it was first released and how massive it became. Also, let's not forget that it was virtually the only mainstream pop girl era and uptempo summer soundscape album during the peak of the pandemic.

Poor Chromatica

HAPPY FOR YOU

 

:jonny4:
 

gave me chillls first listen. I think that would be such an interesting and unexpected single from her that could take off 

 

@Walk_Away21

4 minutes ago, skwonderfactory said:

While almost any criticism is valid, I believe a lot of peoples' disappointment from this album comes from how refreshing Future Nostalgia was when it was first released and how massive it became. Also, let's not forget that it was virtually the only mainstream pop girl era and uptempo summer soundscape album during the peak of the pandemic.

 

Yes, Radical Optimism is a different record but I think people are failing to understand this definitely shows plenty of growth for Dua. The sonic landscape—while baring some similarities to her previous record in a couple of songs—is quite different and a natural evolution. The attention to detail in the production is crisper than 95% of any album released, the lyricsm is mature and cohesive, the melodies are infectious and diverse, and the vocals are immaculate and versatile.

 

So yes, feel however you wish to feel about this album, but please don't overlook the obvious: This is arguably her best and most self-aware work to-date.

One review called the sound luxurious and I feel the same. It's catchy, mellow but has class and detail to it. Sounds amazing an headphones.

2 minutes ago, Sexyzinger said:

HAPPY FOR YOU

 

:jonny4:
 

gave me chillls first listen. I think that would be such an interesting and unexpected single from her that could take off 

 

@Walk_Away21

I really wonder if they go that route. First HFY as a detour in pace and sound and then WD

2 minutes ago, Trip said:

this would have been a cute alternative cover 

GIpwNsoXEAAVrtT.jpg

 

 

This + shark swimming behind/towards her would make a great re-release album cover

6 minutes ago, Trip said:

this would have been a cute alternative cover 

GIpwNsoXEAAVrtT.jpg

 

 

back cover in my book. The official cover is great and in a perfect world it would be iconic ten years from now

Is it me or Falling Forever chorus sounds like desert rose

Edited by Яeo.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.