Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

After many listens this doesn't beat FN for me but it's still a very decent album :gayalipacat3:

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 841.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

Just now, Kristie Kuwa said:

These Walls is the only song that could do anything in the US, agreed

I think "These Walls" and "Whatcha Doing" could work for US, even "WD" is one of the weakest on the album for me

this album also looks cool when playing on Apple Music with the album art filling the screen and the mirrored effect making it look like the controls are underwater :bird:

I hope when Dua sets tour dates, she remembers Houdini was a hit in Canada and TS/Illusion did okay too, even if they flopped in the US. :bird:

I haven't listened yet, but is an AOTY nom on lock, or at least Best Pop Vocal?

3 minutes ago, _Fey said:

I hope when Dua sets tour dates, she remembers Houdini was a hit in Canada and TS/Illusion did okay too, even if they flopped in the US. :bird:

Houdini did fine at the US

1 minute ago, DR0GO said:

I haven't listened yet, but is an AOTY nom on lock, or at least Best Pop Vocal?

Lol I definitely can't see AOTY based on its lack of commercial and critical success in the US. BPVA maybe.

it's true that aside from Houdini and Illusion there aren't as many highs as FN but overall the album is good and has decent replayability, and will be appreciated more as she releases more albums down the line :bird:

23 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Even as a fan this is... Not a strong album tbqh. Yes we enjoy it for what it is but coming from an era like FN where she had hit after hit after hit this was not the album to release. She should've either gone full experimental and stuck with it because even if it didn't do good commercially she could've excused it for its quality or kept crafting commercial pop hits to solidify her status, the in between that is RO is understandably doing her no favor (especially considering how it was marketed).

Ehh… even putting my bias aside, I can't see why this is heading into the 60s. It's not THAT bad. That's like a 45-50 score in the 10s. It seems like something bigger than the music, whether that be the messy rollout, the flopping, politics, whatever. 

 

Also some of the reviews are just straight up scathing for no real reason. Calling her the equivalent of an IG influencer? That doesn't even have anything to do with the album, and this is definitely a huge step forward in the "vulnerability" department, not to mention her growing talent as a performer.

 

Maybe FN was a little too overrated and RO is a little too underrated just considering the scenarios both were released in, because I can't see RO being almost 20 points below FN :deadbanana4: 

4 years for 11 songs and this is the album?.

 

Kevin Parker is a very weak pop producer. What's the point to make music with people can't make pop music when you're the queen of pop smashes on radios?. She wanted too much to be "the different girl" palatable for both pop listeners and the bald bloggers acting like these persons can produce pop music, with the result she's making no one happy. 

 

She still have it if she just calls great pop producers like for the album before, stop with these indie flops. They're flop for a reason girl. 

18 minutes ago, sunbathinganimal said:

suggesting Dua's stance on Palestine is why this mid album is getting mid reviews is so :rip:

I don't believe that's the case either but after the Levitating situation, nothing's off the table I guess :deadbanana:

6 minutes ago, DR0GO said:

I haven't listened yet, but is an AOTY nom on lock, or at least Best Pop Vocal?

Literally if Harry Styles released this same album working with the same people he would win AOTY... but of course she will be shut out of a nom

6 minutes ago, DR0GO said:

I haven't listened yet, but is an AOTY nom on lock, or at least Best Pop Vocal?

Future Nostalgia won Pop Vocal Album so I'm sure this is pretty much locked a nomination, although it is quite a competitive field between Taylor, Ariana, Billie, and I could see Beyonce's album controversially getting moved to Pop as well...

3 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Also some of the reviews are just straight up scathing for no real reason. Calling her the equivalent of an IG influencer? That doesn't even have anything to do with the album, and this is definitely a huge step forward in the "vulnerability" department, not to mention her growing talent as a performer.

 

ugly bald reviewers are clearly jealous of her success and vacationing lifestyle :bird:

Ok "Whatcha Doing" is really really good. Should be the next single IMO. The chorus is gold.

5 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Ehh… even putting my bias aside, I can't see why this is heading into the 60s. It's not THAT bad. That's like a 45-50 score in the 10s. It seems like something bigger than the music, whether that be the messy rollout, the flopping, politics, whatever. 

 

Also some of the reviews are just straight up scathing for no real reason. Calling her the equivalent of an IG influencer? That doesn't even have anything to do with the album, and this is definitely a huge step forward in the "vulnerability" department, not to mention her growing talent as a performer.

 

Maybe FN was a little too overrated and RO is a little too underrated just considering the scenarios both were released in, because I can't see RO being almost 20 points below FN :deadbanana4: 

Scores are debatable (and often non even reflective of the actual product) so I wouldn't focus too much on that, the comments in the reviews however are purely coming from a place of wanting to take her down a notch. For what reason? I can't tell you, but it might simply fall under the "prop someone up just to tear them down" experience that is so common in entertainment. People probably see a young, beautiful, talented woman and get mad they can't be like her (the "vacanza queen" comments were already somewhat of an indicator if you ask me).

Falling Forever is the one that really encapsulates and feels like the album title and artwork. It reminds me of Danny Boyle's The Beach somehow. Hope she shoots an outdoorsy, euphoric visual for it. 

9 minutes ago, Dula Peep said:

Literally if Harry Styles released this same album working with the same people he would win AOTY... but of course she will be shut out of a nom

Funny you say that because I've read somewhere someone saying that this is Dua's Harry's House and honestly, I kinda see it

Whatcha Doing is the obvious next single UNLESS they should take the risk of doing a detour first with something that's different...

 

FF is nice but tbh a bit too eurovision for my taste.

I listened to it a few more times. I still expected it to hit a bit harder like Houdini and Illusion, but overall very solid.

 

Whatcha Doing and Maria (out of the singles) are the standouts to me. I like Happy for You too.

yeah, based on these partial day streams the first full day for the album is probably gonna be around 20-25M

 

:suburban:

Whew, this was bliss in music form. It's fun, joyful, sunny.

 

On first listen everything was good but it is clear that THE hit is "Houdini". Not to say that the other tracks aren't strong, as they are all amazing but more "chill".

 

I cannot pick my favorites of the new songs on first listen but I was immeaditly drawn to play again "Watcha Doing", "Falling Forever" and "Maria".

 

Miss Dua delivered and I thank her for giving us strong, concise and not bloated albums with 20+ tracks. 

 

This will definetely be part of my summer soundtrack.

5 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Scores are debatable (and often non even reflective of the actual product) so I wouldn't focus too much on that, the comments in the reviews however are purely coming from a place of wanting to take her down a notch. For what reason? I can't tell you, but it might simply fall under the "prop someone up just to tear them down" experience that is so common in entertainment. People probably see a young, beautiful, talented woman and get mad they can't be like her (the "vacanza queen" comments were already somewhat of an indicator if you ask me).

I think you're right, and on the bright side, I do think Dua is going to take a lot of these critiques and learn from them. Kind of makes me more excited for DL4, because following up FN was always going to be an impossible task, but recovering from RO gives her alot of criticism to work with, while FN got almost none to work off of. The main critique of FN being GIV/BWBB, which notably this album doesn't have.

 

She's a smart girl, I'm sure she'll be fine, but she really needs to get a better team ASAP.

1 minute ago, scottstreet said:

yeah, based on these partial day streams the first full day for the album is probably gonna be around 20-25M

 

:suburban:

Y'ALL NEED TO HAVE IT ON REPEAT :chick3:

We can't let Dua down like this 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.