Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

I'm really not sure what I think about the album as a whole yet, but Happy For You clicked pretty much instantly - that's a great closing track.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm super into the album tbh

like it is what it means to be? just a fun listen, not pretentious at all and the music is just good.

perfect summer record. it is not inventing the wheel but doesn't mean too.

i get people might have expected something different from what she's been saying in interviews but i think this is a cute album actually

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Joyride said:

what streaming service should I stream this from? Tidal? Apple Music? FLAC files? WAV files?

also I'm getting food from this new Italian restaurant and I'm so hyped.

• Haha 1

Maybe a remix with the blessed madonna will help

just like how she made FN listenable and better

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joyride said:

what streaming service should I stream this from? Tidal? Apple Music? FLAC files? WAV files?

Apple Music with Dolby or lossless. I did ALAC files ripped from Apple Music. 

The stand out tracks for me on first couple of listens are Falling Forever & These Walls + the singles. I'm curious on what's the strategy for the rollout. Will there be a fourth single with a remix and then a reissue with a new focus track? Will they call it a day for the sampaign a move to DL4 after the tour? WIll they make a quick extended mixes cashgrab since they have H, TS & Illusion already?

2 hours ago, scottstreet said:

hello king @popmusic any good news? 
we kinda need it  :deadbanana2:

2 hours sweetie 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, k4rmabutterfly said:

I think a lot of my disappointment with this album it's partially because of my expectations. I expected something way edgier, and more experimental than… that. She truly tricked me with the whole "psychedelic" sound and Houdini being her best song ever. As I said, the album is not bad, it just feels very basic and safe, which is what I should've actually expected from her, just a fun generic pop album. 

Dua really is the next Katy.

Katy promised Prism being her "dark pop" era, and then we saw how it turned out.

Dua promised a psychedelic album and we see how RO turned out….

• Like 1

It's a cute album, but listening back to FN now and that was such a lightning-in-a-bottle album. I hope she announces a tour soon-ish though, I really regret not seeing her on that tour.

3 minutes ago, BlondGuts said:

Dua really is the next Katy.

Katy promised Prism being her "dark pop" era, and then we saw how it turned out.

Dua promised a psychedelic album and we see how RO turned out….

At least it has moments all throughout the record that are clearly Tame Impala coded, which she kinda promised too.

Maria is absolutely BONKERS! It really clicked with me on the 3rd listen and now im convulsing 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

Happy For You is becoming my favorite, it's so beautiful

YOU GOT EVERYTHING YOU DESERVEEEE

hurricane-irma-windy.gif

It's a career highlight I'm afraid

3 hours ago, jamiko1230 said:

Some are saying/comparing this to Katy Perry Witness and Gaga 2013-16. Maybe so but this is actually more like Kelly Clarkson in 2007 w/ My December tbh. Massive, hit packed prior album. Then Kelly wanted more 'artistic, creative control' etc...and DID end up prevailing over her record company esp. Clive Davis the mogul. But ended up w/ a dud result. Only to come back 2 years later w/ My Life Would Suck Without You and All I Ever Wanted (return to form, instant hit, welcomed back by the GP). My December just a blip and quickly forgotten. Bottom line...regardless of how red hot u were/are rarely if ever win against the record biz. machinery. Dua and her DAD Lol maybe got their artistic way but....anyway. 

My December one of Kelly's best and far too underrated imo

:suburban:

Anything for Love would be the best if if was actually a full song 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Crank_It_Up said:

Baby, we been knew that publication is TRASH. They were treading waters with some of their questionable choices/reviews the past few years, but it was solidified the second they gave Tay that instant classic for the absolute snoozefest boredom of a double album…

That snoozefest boredom of a double album is INSANELY better than Radical Optimism. I listened to RO last night and put on TTPD this morning and CHILE the difference in quality.

Sadly, RO just got worse with multiple plays for me. It's over.

Edited by LanaXtinaFan
  • Thumbs Down 2

Watcha doing is like sung by a 2009 korean girl group, cute though!

This is one of those eras where I would love to know what's going on behind the scenes. I never expected her to top FN in anything except quality, but this is catastrophic in all metrics. Is there a reason why critics are being so harsh? 

It's not a groundbreaking album, but to give it such low scores is kind of insane. It's like giving sabotage but I highly doubt Dua did anything to make that happen :deadbanana4:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blue Jeans said:

So what is the special NYC announcement today? The countdown was until 10:30am but nothing happened. And the progress is stuck at 8%

Not enough energy in NYC to power the surprise 

Surprise cancelled!

• Haha 1

Im still flabbergasted how the album is stacked with such interesting, original-sounding songs and they decided to go with Training Season (Houdinis sis) and Illusion (Hallucinates twin) :rip:

Also, none of the songs capture the summer feeling like the album tracks do.. oh Team Dua, you got a lot to learn

:suburban:

24 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

got two of these :duck:

French exit is forgettable, which is a crime :gaycat7:

3 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

This is one of those eras where I would love to know what's going on behind the scenes. I never expected her to top FN in anything except quality, but this is catastrophic in all metrics. Is there a reason why critics are being so harsh? 

It's not a groundbreaking album, but to give it such low scores is kind of insane. It's like giving sabotage but I highly doubt Dua did anything to make that happen :deadbanana4:

I was reading somewhere that there's a lot of politics involved in these reviews. lots of "disagreements" with Dua's views.

2 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Even as a fan this is... Not a strong album tbqh. Yes we enjoy it for what it is but coming from an era like FN where she had hit after hit after hit this was not the album to release. She should've either gone full experimental and stuck with it because even if it didn't do good commercially she could've excused it for its quality or kept crafting commercial pop hits to solidify her status, the in between that is RO is understandably doing her no favor (especially considering how it was marketed).

• Like 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.