Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Why is Janet doing so poorly on streaming?

Featured Replies

11 hours ago, Jjang said:

this generation’s loss tbh 

Absolutely 💯 

  • Replies 230
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Badgalbriel
    Badgalbriel

    Janet is mostly unknown. Like, 99% unknown outside of the US/UK/old gays.  It's not surprising. 

  • this generation’s loss tbh 

  • Because the reality is that she's forgotten. That doesn't take away from any of her success or her achievements but the super bowl erased any legacy she had

Also anyone throwing around the word local in here is just exposing themselves as someone who speaks on **** they don’t know about. She wasn’t local

1 hour ago, JennyWayne said:

I mean personally I didn't even know she was a singer until I started following pop culture. I heard of her before, but thought she was only famous for being Michael Jackson's sister :skull: a Frankie Grande teas

She is to Michael as what Noah Cyrus to Miley.

 

 

.... except even Noah has more daily streams than Janet. :mandown:

2 minutes ago, Zefierce said:

She is to Michael as what Noah Cyrus to Miley.

 

 

.... except even Noah has more daily streams than Janet. :mandown:

Umm...

10 minutes ago, Zefierce said:

She is to Michael as what Noah Cyrus to Miley.

 

 

.... except even Noah has more daily streams than Janet. :mandown:

Girl you’re an idiot

It's horrible because I was listening to her discography again and it is one of the best. That control to afy run was splendid. But also her actual fanbase is not the one that uses Spotify or streaming services hence the smaller numbers. Unbreakable did #1 which I think is great so she's not forgotten or a fad.

We literally have this thread once a damn month and it's always the same people chirping the same bs.

 

Aren't you all tired?

Idk, I think she’s remembered. Definitely not many younger people discovering her like say Britney or Madonna but I believe the Super Bowl debacle really did hurt her career in terms of exposure/promotion, and that was way in the early 2000s.

 

But I think Janet is still remembered. I’m bad at listening to new music in general but I was always aware of her and what she did in the 80s. The only album I’ve ever listened to in full was The Velvet Rope because I kept seeing that one praised and I thought the cover was intriguing. I ended up really loving a few songs that I still use from time to time.

Sucks for everyone who doesn’t know who she is. Her music is amazing 

14 hours ago, Bacardo Royale said:

Not Ella Fitzgerald being that high up ,what a legend :ahh:

And only about 500m (16%) is from Christmas music too. The same cannot be said for most of her peers.
 

 

I don’t think Ella’s is correct - there was a glitch on Kworn that credited her 1 billion for a random song. 
 

She’s still impressively high, though.

14 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

Janet is mostly unknown. Like, 99% unknown outside of the US/UK/old gays. 

It's not surprising. 

This.
She'a a local act. Billboard Chart means nothing in streaming era that explain the numbers... 

13 hours ago, Dr. Alexander said:

The racism in here is straight up jarring. I should call each one of you out. 

 

Stating that she is "forgotten" or "unknown to young people". For who? White people? White Gen-Z?

 

Black Gen-Z is incredibly familiar with Janet and her music. You can go to any predominantly Black high school or HBCU and see her merch on somebody or somebody playing her music. This erasure of Black consumption and implying that, “well young white people don’t know her music” as if white people are the be all, end all is racist. Her concerts were filled with young Black people last year.

Thank you. These threads always feel particularly mean. You all know why this happened. Her storied career was torpedoed by blatant racism and sexism right before the digital era. She was effectively erased from the popular consciousness overnight thanks to the actions of petty and vindictive white men. First of all, I cannot even imagine what it was like for an artist of her calibre to have everything that she had worked literally decades for taken away from her in tenths of a second. Particularly when she was one of the few black women who had truly broken through as a major international pop star up to that point. Absolute trauma. Then, we wonder why she has disengaged from the music industry and from promoting her legacy. And somehow, it's still acceptable on ATRL to bully Janet and denigrate her career - but Britney's trauma is recognized and there is implicit empathy for her.

Idk, I stream her all time, as she has some of the best music ever made. Lack of taste maybe?

Her Together Again tour sold well so who cares about streams for less than nothing

Well unlike most of her peers she was actually blacklisted so it's by design. 

25 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Her Together Again tour sold well so who cares about streams for less than nothing

Which is interesting then to ask why Cyndi Lauper isn't headlining her own big arena tours despite having such big streams. Pre-covid and in the streaming era age, her last tour was mainly in theatres compared to Janet who played a lot of arenas and large amphitheatres. But I guess that's for another thread topic idea. :celestial5:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detour_Tour

11 minutes ago, Moth 2 The Flame said:

Which is interesting then to ask why Cyndi Lauper isn't headlining her own big arena tours despite having such big streams. Pre-covid and in the streaming era age, her last tour was mainly in theatres compared to Janet who played a lot of arenas and large amphitheatres. But I guess that's for another thread topic idea. :celestial5:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detour_Tour

Well Janet still has a devoted fanbase, at least in the US. They probably use their CDs over streaming but they still come out to see her live. Cyndi is good for a throwback but I don't know if she has a fanbase.

  • Author
1 hour ago, Insanity said:

Her Together Again tour sold well so who cares about streams for less than nothing

It’s important because unfortunately streaming represents the present and the future

Her tour will be forgotten after it ends, it’s nothing groundbreaking, and I’m thinking what will carry on her legacy to future generations

I’m counting on her hits, especially Together again, TTWLG and All for you because they are very streamable 

the day a Janet song goes viral on TikTok it's over for ATRL. 

 

Also, I hope members here realize that Janet’s impact is set in stone. Even if she were to have 0 streams on Spotify. She’d still be far more impactful than 99% of your faves. 

Edited by Jjang

If she cared about her legacy, she would do something, anything at all. I fear all she cares about is making some coin now and touring is way better for that than streaming.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:59 AM, HardBambi said:

I found this top 10 of pre-90s female artists on Spotify if anyone has a top 20 or know where Janet is on the list pls help.

  1. Beyoncé 23.4B
  2. Sia 22.9B
  3. Shakira 18.9B
  4. Britney Spears 9.9B
  5. Mariah Carey 8.8B
  6. Christina Aguilera 7.5B
  7. Madonna 7B
  8. Jennifer Lopez 6.3B
  9. Whitney Houston 5.8B
  10. Céline Dion 4.6B
  11. Dolly Parton 3B
  12. Enya 2.9B
  13. Aretha Franklin 2.8B
  14. Kylie Minogue 2.6B
  15. Ella Fitzgerald 2.5B
  16. Tina Turner 2.4B
  17. Cyndi Lauper 2.2B
  18. Selena 2.2B
  19. Cher 2B
  20. Janet Jackson 1.5B

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.