Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

How do you spot fake friends?

Featured Replies

Do you notice any common signs of fake friends who don't actually care about you? Or maybe you can spot people who seem supportive but are ready to backstab you? Feel free to share your stories too.

I'd say pay attention to how they talk about friends you have in common or other friends they have, it's a big indicator of how they will talk about you

 

Also if they keep mocking something about you (your laugh for example) keep an eye on it, it can be harmless sibling-like teasing but it can also indicate a toxic friendship 

when u running a fade someone else jumps in and they dont! 

28 minutes ago, Jotham said:

downplay whatever you're going through

This.

usually they talk badly about everyone behind their backs. Chances are they do the same to you with others

Edited by shookspeare

You're the one that always has to make the initiative to make plans to hangout with them. They do things with other friends (who you mutually know) and you never get an invite. You catch yourself always telling them things and opening up but they never divulge much information to you.

The older you get, the easier it gets. When you know, you know babe!

  • Author
Just now, Venice B said:

The older you get, the easier it gets. When you know, you know babe!

But how do you know :3 

1 hour ago, shookspeare said:

usually they talk badly about everyone behind their backs. Chances are they do the same to you with others

 

1 hour ago, Mupps said:

I'd say pay attention to how they talk about friends you have in common or other friends they have, it's a big indicator of how they will talk about you

 

Also if they keep mocking something about you (your laugh for example) keep an eye on it, it can be harmless sibling-like teasing but it can also indicate a toxic friendship 

Both of this.

This might sound weird to some, but I find it that when they only compliment everything you are doing without question that means they might be fake.

 

Real friends will be able to make fun of each other.

I actually need help with this too so I'm happy reading the comments. 

6 hours ago, I'm JAVIng Fun said:

This might sound weird to some, but I find it that when they only compliment everything you are doing without question that means they might be fake.

 

Real friends will be able to make fun of each other.

Yeah exactly I find banter to be integral in a deep bonds between friends. If they are fake-nice all time it means that the friendship never went past surface level. 

I don't think this question is that deep - if you find yourself questioning whether a friend is fake or not, you already have your answer.

All the ones that stayed after COVID? Or after you turn 30 and lose your looks those people are your real friends 

 

So yeah I only got 1 or 2 when 30 others dropped me as soon as things got rough 

 

Even in high school had many friends but as soon as my closest family member died everyone stopped talking to me. Those were definitely the fake friends. And this was 2009

 

Idk are friends even real? I've never had not fake friends to come to think of it

you typically have a feeling deep down that they don't truly care for you or what you're going through. like you're kinda just around them but no real connection 

On 9/15/2024 at 9:01 PM, Cheers said:

You're the one that always has to make the initiative to make plans to hangout with them. They do things with other friends (who you mutually know) and you never get an invite. You catch yourself always telling them things and opening up but they never divulge much information to you.

This! and it's always you talking to them, not they to you 

From personal experience I say:

 

1) If you feel hesitant to tell them things because you know they'll berate you.

 

2) They are shady and disrespectful to you but say they are joking.

 

3) They don't keep promises and forget important dates.

 

Here's a video I like about this topic:

 

I cut off everyone a few years ago and want to find real friends but I sometimes feel they're either extremely rare or simply don't exist.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.