• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeAg

• Dareeyecare

• Taylor fanboy

• HonourableVomit

Oh this is EXCELLENT! And the title track/closer seems like its going to be INCREDIBLE. Cate Le Bon!!!

the cover is lowkey serving my sim learning to cook :deadbanana: I love it

• Haha 2

Pre ordered this so fast!!! love the split colored vinyl  :gaycat6:

The single is amazing! That guitar, motherrrr :jonny5:

• Like 1

I know a lot of people didn’t like it, but I still love Daddy’s Home and listen regularly. 

And I’m loving everything about this so far, from the cover to the single to the music video. I definitely like the visual direction a lot more this time around than with Daddy’s Home.

• Like 4

wait big time nothing is amazing :clap3:the production is giving me heavy army of me (bjork) vibes spliced with some funk guitar sections (think daft punk's lose yourself to dance)

the second half of the title track is a trip and consists of 2.5 mins or "all born screaming" repeated

flea is kinda the inverse of broken man - its got the same rock vibe , and goes harder , but its more in the first half and it mellows out after (apart from a last hurrah chorus and outro) - so if u like broken man look forward to this one , thou i will say these two are the hardest moments on the album (apart from the last min of reckless) and the rest of the album is softer, so dont be expecting an album full of hard rock bangers cause its not

flea next single , rls last week in march !:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to like the cover but it seems kinda AI generated and uncanny valley

Clark’s prowling, occasionally terrifying seventh album, All Born Screaming, which strips her sound down to the bone, is definitely more Nine Inch Nails than it is Minion-friendly. It’s full of decay and brutality, with its thrashing, raging opening half slowly softened by a glimmer of hope in its second. To me, the first half of the record is base – whether it’s death or destruction or your own inner monologue of brutal self-loathing where you’re staring into the void, like, ‘Life is impossible’ – and then the second half is, ‘Well we get to ******* live it, so let’s grab it by the jugular.’”

While both Masseduction and Daddy’s Home featured input from omnipresent producer Jack Antonoff, All Born Screaming is the first St Vincent album Clark has solely produced herself. “There are some places you can only go alone,” she says. “So much of the record, and so much of finding it, was me being in the studio alone and turning knobs until I found lightning in a bottle.” She’s got “hours and hours and hours” of “industrial dance music, or weird jams” sitting on her hard drive. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/mar/02/st-vincent-all-born-screaming-interview

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 11:23 AM, Holiest Dreams said:

I know a lot of people didn’t like it, but I still love Daddy’s Home and listen regularly. 

And I’m loving everything about this so far, from the cover to the single to the music video. I definitely like the visual direction a lot more this time around than with Daddy’s Home.

I loved Daddy's Home too but this new direction feels next level, I am perched

Edited by 4th Time Around

6 hours ago, Catch22 said:

She definitely takes a bit of wisdom from each album cycle, especially the critical response to the previous era. I'm a little shocked they're acknowledging the unfavorable press around Daddy's Home. 

And btw, If they're referring to the interview I think they are, it wasn't really "aggressive" at all. The journalist posted the article before they made her take it down, and it sounded like they just weren't on the same page. She asked Annie about Warhol's obsession with trash in art, and it just devolved from there.

• Like 1

wait, but the apparent nod to SOPHIE hinted at in that guardian article where she says "let that be a fun easter egg"?? i'm on the edge of my seat for that 

Edited by marty_xcx

4 hours ago, pitysmith said:

She definitely takes a bit of wisdom from each album cycle, especially the critical response to the previous era. I'm a little shocked they're acknowledging the unfavorable press around Daddy's Home. 

And btw, If they're referring to the interview I think they are, it wasn't really "aggressive" at all. The journalist posted the article before they made her take it down, and it sounded like they just weren't on the same page. She asked Annie about Warhol's obsession with trash in art, and it just devolved from there.

That interview is a hilarious trainwreck. Her shock and asking him to clarify "are you asking me if I'm inspired by literal garbage?" 

On 3/2/2024 at 6:25 PM, pitysmith said:

Sure there was some unfavorable press but the album itself received critical acclaim and won a grammy, the fact that anyone would perceive Daddy's Home as a mistep only shows how insanely high the standards have been set for Annie

As for some of the press issues, that stuff stemmed from the fact that a lot of people misinterpreted what the album was all about because of the title. Daddy's Home is all about Annie, not her father. Annie's experiences, perspective and musical influences. But instead of asking her about the stuff that mattered, journalists took a cheeky title way too seriously and kept asking her stupid questions about prison reform and prying into the personal life of her family. Two of the absolute worst things to interview Annie about because she does not like talking about political issues and she is very private and protective of the people she cares about in her personal life.

Edited by 4th Time Around
  • Like 4

So for the next few weeks we have

Ariana --> Kacey --> Beyonce --> Taylor --> St Vincent:WAP::WAP:

What a way to start the year already:WAP::WAP:

• Like 4

On 3/3/2024 at 6:13 AM, marty_xcx said:

wait, but the apparent nod to SOPHIE hinted at in that guardian article where she says "let that be a fun easter egg"?? i'm on the edge of my seat for that 

Spoiler

"my sophie climbed the roof / to get a better view of the moon / my god the monster took her down to [?idk?] "  :monkey:rip eternal legend

the verses here have quite a dissonant instrumental that actually kinda creeps me out lol but when it gets into the chorus its sooooo good

" you're a natural baby, you don't have to quit, sweetest fruit, you're a natural baby, you know this ain't it, you're the sweetest fruit" :hippo:

• Like 4

On 3/4/2024 at 1:22 PM, s1974181 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"my sophie climbed the roof / to get a better view of the moon / my god the monster took her down to [?idk?] "  :monkey:rip eternal legend

the verses here have quite a dissonant instrumental that actually kinda creeps me out lol but when it gets into the chorus its sooooo good

" you're a natural baby, you don't have to quit, sweetest fruit, you're a natural baby, you know this ain't it, you're the sweetest fruit" :hippo:

what do you think of the album overall? would you say it’s one her best? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 3:36 PM, s1974181 said:

wait big time nothing is amazing :clap3:the production is giving me heavy army of me (bjork) vibes spliced with some funk guitar sections (think daft punk's lose yourself to dance)

the second half of the title track is a trip and consists of 2.5 mins or "all born screaming" repeated

flea is kinda the inverse of broken man - its got the same rock vibe , and goes harder , but its more in the first half and it mellows out after (apart from a last hurrah chorus and outro) - so if u like broken man look forward to this one , thou i will say these two are the hardest moments on the album (apart from the last min of reckless) and the rest of the album is softer, so dont be expecting an album full of hard rock bangers cause its not

flea next single , rls last week in march !:)

What can you tell us about “Hell is Near” , “Reckless” , “Violent Times, “The Power’s Out” & “So Many Planets”? 

also what are the clear best songs on the LP - and do you think it’s probably her best LP? or is it at least a  top 2 or 3 St Vincent album? 

On 3/4/2024 at 2:22 PM, s1974181 said:
  Hide contents

wait oh my god... those lyrics in the spoiler are SO The Melting of the Sun vibes :jonny5: stunning

• Like 2

going through her discography like crazy again in anticipation for this album and it still floors me how many f*cking amazing songs she has, she's truly one of the musical greats of the 21st century if you ask me :jonny5:

Huey Newton was slaying my life this morning, and now Down and Out Downtown is sounding like one of the best psychedelic rock songs I've ever listened to to be completely honest :jonny3:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeAg said:

going through her discography like crazy again in anticipation for this album and it still floors me how many f*cking amazing songs she has, she's truly one of the musical greats of the 21st century if you ask me :jonny5:

Huey Newton was slaying my life this morning, and now Down and Out Downtown is sounding like one of the best psychedelic rock songs I've ever listened to to be completely honest :jonny3:

tea

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeAg said:

ENTOMBED IN THE SHRINES

OF ZEROES AND ONES

OH NO

output-onlinegiftools(1).thumb.gif.aa44c

• Thanks 2

we're all born screaming and the rest is drag

On 3/7/2024 at 1:13 PM, Dareeyecare said:

What can you tell us about “Hell is Near” , “Reckless” , “Violent Times, “The Power’s Out” & “So Many Planets”? 

also what are the clear best songs on the LP - and do you think it’s probably her best LP? or is it at least a  top 2 or 3 St Vincent album? 

opinions and ratings are subjective ofc but i would say top 3 yes for sure ,  i think it may be my fave album of hers now, for it being entirely self produced she did an incredible job, especially with how varied the songs are

i wont rank them in order but my previous top 3 would have been strange mercy, self titled (my introduction to her), masseduction (i wont pick which one gets booted for ABS haha)

(i also havent listened to daddys home cause i hate jack antonoff)

i am very terrible at describing songs but i will try my best !

Spoiler

hell is near - midtempo, starts out quite ominous with dark lyrics, but then turns into a very guitar forward, kinda 70s folk rock vibe i would say, then it starts to fade out in the second half, into a kind of ethereal and dreamy song with breathy and minimal vocals

Spoiler

the comparison to my mind for this one is SOPHIE's Pretending, not saying it sounds like a SOPHIE song!! so dont misquote me, but the kinda vibe of that song, ethereal and beautiful with breathy, minimal vocals

reckless - follows on nicely from the first track , the instrumental is very minimal for the first 2:40 or so but now with some piano noted sprinkled in , and she is actually singing  here (as opposed to the minimal vocals on the 2nd half of HIN) but the vocals start out quite monotone but become more expressive, angry and emotional as the song goes on, and then... well the rest of the song is best left until you hear it :mandown: (in a good way dont worry)

if your love was an anchor, and i am lost at sea, i hear the riders calling, they're calling for meeeeeeeeeeee... :rockon:

violent times - sorry i'm not sure how to describe this song but what comes to mind for me is "if st vincent made a song for james bond it would sound something like this" lol. its laced with awesome, grand moments of big brass instruments (trumpets i think). the last minute of the song is basically her singing and moaning out "oh" over the instrumental, but in a kind of needy and desperate way, almost sexual i would say (not in a tacky way ofc). im not sure how else to describe it but i mean that in a good way haha , youll see what i mean, its beautiful

how could i have ever have been so blind? blame these violent times / run all of the bombs inside all of the wires and all of the wasted nights chasing mortality /  but in the ashes of pompeii, lovers discovered in an embrace for all eternity

the power's out - a pretty basic and minimal ballad, not much to the instrumental and nothing noteable about the vocals. later in the song ( and in a few small parts before) her iconic guitar riffs get infused into the instrumental which elevates the song

the mothers gasp, the children cry, almost could not believe my eyes, the power's out, and no one can save us, no one can blame us now that the power's out

so many planets - sorry again i have no idea how to describe this one but its quirky and very fun and somehow nostalgic

misfiring chemicals and scary ideas, this revolution isn't fun anymore(?), i'm out of fashion i've got god on my heels, i'm dropping promises like h-bombs / 

i have to visit so many planets before i found my own, i fall asleep in the golden highway before i finally find it 

some lyrics for the other songs:

flea - like a hungry little flea, jumping on somebody's warm body, when you start to itch and scratch and scream, once i'm in you can't get rid of me 

big time nothing - don't blink, don't leap, don't walk, you're late, don't fall from grace, behave, don't trip, sashay / do ask but don't tell, don't laugh but do smile, don't have a glass, don't stay a while, don't take a pic, don't feel so sick

all born screaming i've climbed powerlines and mountains just to feel above the ground / i crawl out your hallowed houses just to feel my headache pound / i can't stop my legs, i can't feel my feet, i own nothing and nothing owns me / we're all born screaming

as for standout tracks , that's hard. i personally wouldnt say theres a single bad song or dud on this album, the only low point i could think of for me would be the first 2 mins or so of TPO being kind of forgettable but once the guitar kicks in it gets a lot better ! but if i had to pick a few i would say Sweetest Fruit, Big Time Nothing, Broken Man (special mentions to Violent Times and So Many Planets) but again the whole album is great and i would definitely say look forward to it :)

sorry i typed way more than planned but hope that helps a bit :deadbanana2:

• Thanks 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.