St. Vincent - 'All Born Screaming'

kyliefever2002

On 3/16/2024 at 4:14 PM, s1974181 said:

we're all born screaming and the rest is drag

opinions and ratings are subjective ofc but i would say top 3 yes for sure ,  i think it may be my fave album of hers now, for it being entirely self produced she did an incredible job, especially with how varied the songs are

i wont rank them in order but my previous top 3 would have been strange mercy, self titled (my introduction to her), masseduction (i wont pick which one gets booted for ABS haha)

(i also havent listened to daddys home cause i hate jack antonoff)

i am very terrible at describing songs but i will try my best !

Reveal hidden contents

hell is near - midtempo, starts out quite ominous with dark lyrics, but then turns into a very guitar forward, kinda 70s folk rock vibe i would say, then it starts to fade out in the second half, into a kind of ethereal and dreamy song with breathy and minimal vocals

Reveal hidden contents

the comparison to my mind for this one is SOPHIE's Pretending, not saying it sounds like a SOPHIE song!! so dont misquote me, but the kinda vibe of that song, ethereal and beautiful with breathy, minimal vocals

reckless - follows on nicely from the first track , the instrumental is very minimal for the first 2:40 or so but now with some piano noted sprinkled in , and she is actually singing  here (as opposed to the minimal vocals on the 2nd half of HIN) but the vocals start out quite monotone but become more expressive, angry and emotional as the song goes on, and then... well the rest of the song is best left until you hear it :mandown: (in a good way dont worry)

if your love was an anchor, and i am lost at sea, i hear the riders calling, they're calling for meeeeeeeeeeee... :rockon:

violent times - sorry i'm not sure how to describe this song but what comes to mind for me is "if st vincent made a song for james bond it would sound something like this" lol. its laced with awesome, grand moments of big brass instruments (trumpets i think). the last minute of the song is basically her singing and moaning out "oh" over the instrumental, but in a kind of needy and desperate way, almost sexual i would say (not in a tacky way ofc). im not sure how else to describe it but i mean that in a good way haha , youll see what i mean, its beautiful

how could i have ever have been so blind? blame these violent times / run all of the bombs inside all of the wires and all of the wasted nights chasing mortality /  but in the ashes of pompeii, lovers discovered in an embrace for all eternity

the power's out - a pretty basic and minimal ballad, not much to the instrumental and nothing noteable about the vocals. later in the song ( and in a few small parts before) her iconic guitar riffs get infused into the instrumental which elevates the song

the mothers gasp, the children cry, almost could not believe my eyes, the power's out, and no one can save us, no one can blame us now that the power's out

so many planets - sorry again i have no idea how to describe this one but its quirky and very fun and somehow nostalgic

misfiring chemicals and scary ideas, this revolution isn't fun anymore(?), i'm out of fashion i've got god on my heels, i'm dropping promises like h-bombs / 

i have to visit so many planets before i found my own, i fall asleep in the golden highway before i finally find it 

some lyrics for the other songs:

flea - like a hungry little flea, jumping on somebody's warm body, when you start to itch and scratch and scream, once i'm in you can't get rid of me 

big time nothing - don't blink, don't leap, don't walk, you're late, don't fall from grace, behave, don't trip, sashay / do ask but don't tell, don't laugh but do smile, don't have a glass, don't stay a while, don't take a pic, don't feel so sick

all born screaming i've climbed powerlines and mountains just to feel above the ground / i crawl out your hallowed houses just to feel my headache pound / i can't stop my legs, i can't feel my feet, i own nothing and nothing owns me / we're all born screaming

as for standout tracks , that's hard. i personally wouldnt say theres a single bad song or dud on this album, the only low point i could think of for me would be the first 2 mins or so of TPO being kind of forgettable but once the guitar kicks in it gets a lot better ! but if i had to pick a few i would say Sweetest Fruit, Big Time Nothing, Broken Man (special mentions to Violent Times and So Many Planets) but again the whole album is great and i would definitely say look forward to it :)

sorry i typed way more than planned but hope that helps a bit :deadbanana2:

You are an absolute saint 😉 thanks ! 

last Q I have if you don't mind , is what St V album(s) would you compare it to most? not expecting it to sound way to close to any 1, but I'm feeling a slight self titled vibe from what I've read 

• Like 1

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeAg

• Dareeyecare

• Taylor fanboy

• HonourableVomit

Hmm from that tea sounds like mother's been revisiting PJ Harvey discog. :mandown: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 1:14 PM, s1974181 said:

opinions and ratings are subjective ofc but i would say top 3 yes for sure ,  i think it may be my fave album of hers now, for it being entirely self produced she did an incredible job, especially with how varied the songs are

i wont rank them in order but my previous top 3 would have been strange mercy, self titled (my introduction to her), masseduction (i wont pick which one gets booted for ABS haha)

Reveal hidden contents

hell is near - midtempo, starts out quite ominous with dark lyrics, but then turns into a very guitar forward, kinda 70s folk rock vibe i would say, then it starts to fade out in the second half, into a kind of ethereal and dreamy song with breathy and minimal vocals

Reveal hidden contents

the comparison to my mind for this one is SOPHIE's Pretending, not saying it sounds like a SOPHIE song!! so dont misquote me, but the kinda vibe of that song, ethereal and beautiful with breathy, minimal vocals

reckless - follows on nicely from the first track , the instrumental is very minimal for the first 2:40 or so but now with some piano noted sprinkled in , and she is actually singing  here (as opposed to the minimal vocals on the 2nd half of HIN) but the vocals start out quite monotone but become more expressive, angry and emotional as the song goes on, and then... well the rest of the song is best left until you hear it :mandown: (in a good way dont worry)

if your love was an anchor, and i am lost at sea, i hear the riders calling, they're calling for meeeeeeeeeeee... :rockon:

violent times - sorry i'm not sure how to describe this song but what comes to mind for me is "if st vincent made a song for james bond it would sound something like this" lol. its laced with awesome, grand moments of big brass instruments (trumpets i think). the last minute of the song is basically her singing and moaning out "oh" over the instrumental, but in a kind of needy and desperate way, almost sexual i would say (not in a tacky way ofc). im not sure how else to describe it but i mean that in a good way haha , youll see what i mean, its beautiful

how could i have ever have been so blind? blame these violent times / run all of the bombs inside all of the wires and all of the wasted nights chasing mortality /  but in the ashes of pompeii, lovers discovered in an embrace for all eternity

the power's out - a pretty basic and minimal ballad, not much to the instrumental and nothing noteable about the vocals. later in the song ( and in a few small parts before) her iconic guitar riffs get infused into the instrumental which elevates the song

the mothers gasp, the children cry, almost could not believe my eyes, the power's out, and no one can save us, no one can blame us now that the power's out

so many planets - sorry again i have no idea how to describe this one but its quirky and very fun and somehow nostalgic

misfiring chemicals and scary ideas, this revolution isn't fun anymore(?), i'm out of fashion i've got god on my heels, i'm dropping promises like h-bombs / 

i have to visit so many planets before i found my own, i fall asleep in the golden highway before i finally find it 

flea - like a hungry little flea, jumping on somebody's warm body, when you start to itch and scratch and scream, once i'm in you can't get rid of me 

big time nothing - don't blink, don't leap, don't walk, you're late, don't fall from grace, behave, don't trip, sashay / do ask but don't tell, don't laugh but do smile, don't have a glass, don't stay a while, don't take a pic, don't feel so sick

all born screaming i've climbed powerlines and mountains just to feel above the ground / i crawl out your hallowed houses just to feel my headache pound / i can't stop my legs, i can't feel my feet, i own nothing and nothing owns me / we're all born screaming

as for standout tracks , that's hard. i personally wouldnt say theres a single bad song or dud on this album, the only low point i could think of for me would be the first 2 mins or so of TPO being kind of forgettable but once the guitar kicks in it gets a lot better ! but if i had to pick a few i would say Sweetest Fruit, Big Time Nothing, Broken Man (special mentions to Violent Times and So Many Planets) but again the whole album is great and i would definitely say look forward to it :)

is the instrumental in this clip from the 2nd half of Hell is Near? 

3 hours ago, Penk said:

is the instrumental in this clip from the 2nd half of Hell is Near? 

These are the background layers in Broken Man, when she sings “how could you see me now ?” It's in the background 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 2:14 PM, s1974181 said:

idk why but my first thought with the description and lyrics is giving like a more mature Regret :jonny3:

Another St. Vincent album release, another day I dream of the iconic ATRL Masseduction discourse :alexz3:

• Haha 2

Title and artwork are excellent. Broken man is SO in the right direction.

Flea drops Thursday 3/28 and already sounds like a sludgey St V classic 🥵 

• Like 2

not a 30 sec. snippet ending her whole previous album :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OUUU Flea is a bopianka. 2/2 so far, she just doesn't know how to make bad music :clap3:(we'll pretend Daddy's Home does not exist)

• Like 2

I THINK I prefer Broken Man but absolutely love Flea. The excellence :heart:

Flea :jonny:  She's coming for AOTY 

I love both but Flea is beyond perfect. We are not ready for this album.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 4:14 PM, s1974181 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Can you confirm if this clip is "Hell is near" or some other track from ABS? Annie played some new songs at an event last night 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5umLRhriTI/?igsh=eno0cWVpeGoxajFx

Also let us know if you have any tea on if there will be a third and final single haha

2 hours ago, Dareeyecare said:

Can you confirm if this clip is "Hell is near" or some other track from ABS? Annie played some new songs at an event last night 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5umLRhriTI/?igsh=eno0cWVpeGoxajFx

Also let us know if you have any tea on if there will be a third and final single haha

I guess NVM on the clip, confirmed to be a cover of Glory Box - Portishead 

another banger incoming :WAP: oh Annie don't serve like this 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, massedux said:

EVERYBODY MOVED. this sounds so good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, massedux said:

idk how she keeps doing it, like this sounds even BETTER than both of the singles we already have… and those are already both f*cking brilliant :jonny3:

• Like 1

This three track run of singles is shaping up to be one of the very best 3 track runs in the discog 🥵 

2/2 so far and the third somehow sounds even better based on 20 seconds 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 4:14 AM, s1974181 said:

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

Oh we're about to be FED

• Like 2

Reviews so far are looking stellar - 

9/10 - Louder 

9/10- Riff Magazine 

9/10 - Clash Magazine 

8/10- Mojo 

St Vincent sweep week 🔥

• Thanks 2

she's not playing at all  :jonny4:hopefully she self-produces all her records going forward cause 

• Like 1

we're getting so close now!! can't wait for big time nothing

• Like 2

add another 9/10 review from Slant magazine to the mix 

4 9/10 reviews and one 8/10 she's on fire 🥵 coming for that AOTY

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.