Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Hilary Duff - 'luck… or something'

Locks Mar 1, 2027

Featured Replies

  • ATRL Moderator
  • Popular Post

I knew the last minute double vinyl purchase last night would be money well spent

This is a wonderfully personal, cohesive, and infectious record. The production is so expressive, even when the songs are structured in a tried and true way, there are so many flourishes to set this apart from most other mid-tempo pop albums in my opinion. And that's without taking into consideration how specific the lyrics are. It really feels like getting to sit down and hear every last thought Hilary has regarding relationships, her family, her insecurities, etc. I love a pop record that demonstrates an artist's idiosyncrasies and I think that's what the lyrics throughout Luck do.

Such a seamless listen. Top to bottom, everything just flows and works. BIBO will always have a special place in my heart, but I fear this might usurp her throne jamming

Weather for Tennis, Future Tripping, The Optimist, Holiday Party and especially the album closer are immediate favorites.

  • Replies 7.5k
  • Views 313.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • The autopen thing is such a first world country problem lmao sorry but it's funny

  • Something don't sit right with me with people who solely care about dance pop Hilary. Like do y'all listen to any other types of music? This album is like a mature metamorphosis and I don't see how a

  • Yasin
    Yasin

    Weren't you the one making predictions last week and hoping she wouldn't chart? How did you feel when you saw her scoring her sixth top 5 album in a row with 83k? It looks like your autopen campaign d

Carly lowkey needs to sue cause Holiday Party sounds just like a Dedicated track she would have reworked for The Loneliest Time

alaynakitty.gif

So the duff stans agree that thjs is her Westend Girl/MOTOMAMI/folklore?

rogue2

Ranking the tracks after first listen:

  1. Weather For Tennis - fave track hands down but her vocals are mixed weirdly? The way she sounds on the verses/pre-chorus and chorus is very different and the transition from the verses/pre-chorus to the chorus is a bit jarring

  2. Future Tripping - needs to be the next single in time for the summer after WFT! I just wish the adlibs towards the end were louder, like where's the final "oooh~ oooh~" part that she does live?

  3. Adult Size Medium - when she sang "I remember it all and I remember nothing, how did we get here, was it luck or something?", I FELT THAT

  4. Mature

  5. Roommates

  6. Tell Me That Won't Happen

  7. Holiday Party

  8. Growing Up

  9. We Don't Talk

  10. The Optimist - would be #4 based on the lyrics and subject matter (I love that she went there) but I don't see myself listening to this as often as the other tracks. Like you have to be in a certain mood to listen to it and then it'll hit

  11. You, From The Honeymoon - I had high expectations because she said this was one of her faves so I had a very specific vision of what I thought it'd sound like just based on the title itself (I was thinking it would sound like "Oh, What a World" by Kacey - it's dumb and baseless, I know) so when it turned out different I was like oh okay! Still decent, but one of them has to be last

Still going through it, but cool tidbit: She mentioned a leftover song called Apartment No.4 which is from very early sessions of the album on summer 2023

6 minutes ago, fememeist said:

So the duff stans agree that thjs is her Westend Girl/MOTOMAMI/folklore?

rogue2

No.. because Hilary's tracks are actually listenable

rogue2

38 minutes ago, BraveNewSeth said:

After listening to the album, the Roommates single cover should've been the album cover. It fits that mellow, sort of mystical vibe that the album has.

They shot the album cover before filming roommates I believe.

4 hours ago, Blondie Darko said:

I don't know, I think the Roommates single cover reflects the somber sound and existential crisis lyricism just as well. But I do see your point.

It would be the perfect deluxe edition cover.

7 minutes ago, mathekr said:

Still going through it, but cool tidbit: She mentioned a leftover song called Apartment No.4 which is from very early sessions of the album on summer 2023

Please let us know if there's something cool as that trivia

Is Weather for Tennis aimed at Ashley Tisdale and Hilary's sister Haylie because of their "mum group"?

math-hmm.gif

2 minutes ago, 50thStateofMind said:

Come on comment twins! alexz

My boyfriend ordered me Below 60 candles and they just came in today, a perfect sign, let me take a quick nap before the album drops.

Apple Music:

As a teen idol of the early 2000s, the Disney Channel star turned singer felt like your coolest friend—an earnest American everygirl who just so happened to be famous, with an arsenal of accessories to make Y2K revivalists weep. Hilary Duff's voice is madeleine-like to the millennial, triggering Proustian memories of butterfly clips and Laguna Beach reruns. Now a mother of four, the former tabloid fixture spent the past decade focusing on her family and her acting career. But in late 2025, Duff announced that she'd signed to Atlantic Records and was preparing to release luck… or something, her first new album in over a decade.

"When you step away from something for such a long time, you have no idea how the reaction will be and if anyone's going to be on the other side waiting," the 38-year-old singer admitted in an Apple Music radio takeover shortly after the release of lead single "Mature." Duff was speaking to songwriter and producer Matthew Koma, who produced most of the album and also happens to be her husband of six years. (He's the co-writer behind another millennial classic, "Clarity" by Zedd.) She commended Koma for encouraging her comeback: "I would stay home forever with our kids, but you knew that I really wanted to do this," she said. "We literally put the gates up and just hunkered down and made something really cool together."

The couple's bond explains luck… or something's intimacy, its sparkly synth-pop sounds countering intensely candid themes—jealousy, estrangement, and the creeping feeling that the best days of your life may have already passed you by. On "Roommates," Duff yearns for the messy spontaneity of young love, and she spirals into paranoia over her partner's imagined midlife crisis on "Future Tripping." "We Don't Talk," a crushing wisp of '80s pop, mourns a distant relationship presumed to be with her sister Haylie. "I'm worried that I've felt everything I'll ever feel/And I won't again/Tell me that won't happen," she pleads on "Tell Me That Won't Happen," and in her refreshing candor, she lives up to her mythic status as Timeless Millennial Everywoman.

  • ATRL Moderator

This bi**h will have me shaking ass and crying in the club with Adult Size Medium. She's so rude for that. I did not deserve to get figuratively punched in the gut over pulsating, hedonistic, and dream-like synths. Like... that song is absolutely stunning. Perfectly walking the line between overly sentimental and just brutally honest. Let me take a walk real quick and pretend I'm in the final scene of an indie movie or something.

41 minutes ago, Plasticdoll said:

No.. because Hilary's tracks are actually listenable

rogue2

Are we doing ragebait on atrl now? What's this?

1 minute ago, moonllum said:

Are we doing ragebait on atrl now? What's this?

are you new here?

Still listening (and enjoying) the album but why did We Don't Talk remind me so much of the Unfabulous opening theme rip

1 hour ago, Stepfon said:

Does the album sound cohesive? Are the songs sequenced in a good way?

I would argue that it's her most cohesive album, period. Not a single track sounds out of place here, whereas BIBO and Dignity both have one or two clunkers. Sequencing seemed pretty good on first listen, but I need to listen a few more times before I can say for sure.

54 minutes ago, moonllum said:

Are we doing ragebait on atrl now? What's this?

No it's my honest opinion. I don't like those albums nor do I think they are listenable from those artists.

Edited by Plasticdoll

I love the album. When Mature was released ngl that i was left disappointed; i was expecting another dance-pop song like Sparks, on the same energy as the BIBO album. Once my expectations settled, i was over it and absolutely loved Roommates. I feel like this is one of those albums that should've been released all at once, just like West End Girl. It makes more sense and it's cohesive as a whole body of work rather than standalone singles.

My favorites are Weather For Tennis, Growing Up (My favorite) and Holiday Party

rogue2

  • Author
1 hour ago, Tiziano's Boy said:

Is Weather for Tennis aimed at Ashley Tisdale and Hilary's sister Haylie because of their "mum group"?

math-hmm.gif

The album has been done for a while, so highly unlikely it even references that

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.