Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

How come Taylor managed to be so successful despite being somewhat basic?

How come Taylor managed to be so successful while being basic? 134 members have voted

  1. 1. How come Taylor managed to be so successful while being basic?

    • We live in a world of high focus on fraudulent commercial tactics
      15%
      21
    • People don't grow up anymore. 30 year old women and white gay men are singing along teen-like lyrics
      24%
      33
    • I'm wrong and don't think Taylor is basic
      13%
      18
    • Many people want a relatable artist (aka basic)
      42%
      57
    • Other (explain in the comments)
      3%
      5

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

In the past artists who used to become huge sensations were usually highly talented, like MJ, Elvis, Whitney. 

 

Taylor fans tend to point to her songwriting to argue she has talent, but her latest album further proves she writes like a any regular teenage girl with good private schooling would, so how come has she become so successful? 

Edited by brazil

  • Replies 77
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • susansontagapologist
    susansontagapologist

    The content of TLOAS doesn't dispute whether Taylor has talent though, so I'm confused with the 'but'. Artists can experience artistic regression and release work that isn't necessarily representative

  • beyonceparkwood
    beyonceparkwood

    She makes people believe that they too can do what she does. Rather than presenting unattainability (uniquely talented) she presents relatability.

  • Because she's the McDonald's of Pop.   She serves fast food kind of music for people with basic taste.

  • Popular Post

She makes people believe that they too can do what she does. Rather than presenting unattainability (uniquely talented) she presents relatability.

  • Popular Post

The content of TLOAS doesn't dispute whether Taylor has talent though, so I'm confused with the 'but'. Artists can experience artistic regression and release work that isn't necessarily representative of their skills. A questionable project doesn't negate the existence of talent.
 

As far as success, she creates music that resonates with millions of people. You might not connect with her lyrics and themes, but there's a significant amount of people that do. Just because it doesn't meet your standards, doesn't mean it's not qualified to be successful. 

I think it's the "relatable artist" point that strikes the most accurate. when it comes to image, first of all, she hits the balance of pretty and approachable, I mean just look at her! now imagine if she wasn't 5'10 and was actually like 5'4. that's a pretty girl you'd see at school or at the mall and want to be friends with imo. I lowkey think that her being so f*cking tall kinda adds to her mystique cause it can make her seem sorta larger than life? idk. I'm a 5'6 man speaking who's dated a 5'10 woman before and she had the easiest time in the world standing out, granted for better or for worse. with Taylor, that feels likewise accurate. I also thiiiiink that the whole angle of predominantly (and I said predominantly so don't come at me swifties!) writing songs about relationships really appeals to the basic in a lot of us. dgmw, relationships are a fine thing to write songs about, and everyone who's written songs has written at least one about a relationship in their time. but it's like… she finds relationships and love to be an endless well of inspiration. as a songwriter myself, I get worn out of writing about relationships pretty quickly whenever I'm on a kick of writing new music. I feel like there's so much more about life I could write about that feels right to me. Taylor's good at taking her unique experiences and making them feel universal. that includes the most basic parts of people's… motivations, day to day lives, simplifications of emotions… so yeah. I feel like the basic in all of us can find appeal in Taylor's work. I also feel like she's gone beyond that sometimes too, dgmw (shoutout to songs like The Archer, Mirrorball, and You're on Your Own Kid) but the BULK of the content she's made… well…

:giraffe:

Because she's the McDonald's of Pop.

 

She serves fast food kind of music for people with basic taste.

Being able to cater to the masses is a skill. And having the fortitude to remain non-polarizing for 19 years is incredibly difficult. There's a reason it's so incredibly rare and artists like Maroon 5 and Ed Sheeran faded instead of achieving the success that Taylor has.

Well she has Fearless, Speak Now, RED, 1989, folklore, evermore in her discography. Her success is well deserved. 

Taylor presents herself as relatable but that doesn't mean she is basic. Her pen game is much stronger than the average pop girl and she knows how to command a stage, I say this as someone who saw her live.

I mean, Madonna, Britney, Taylor, Rihanna are all some of the highest selling female artists who aren't exactly extremely vocally talented but all have immense star quality and frankly, just nice voices and music to listen to.

 

Taylor was one of the first artists on social media, we grew up with her, every album is a book mark of "where I am now" in a way that other artists just don't do. And most importantly, Taylor's main demographic is WOMEN.

 

There is a direct link between the "Taylor isn't sexy, doesn't know how to slay, etc." conversations and her appeal to the every day woman.

 

And when thinking about it, I think most people want someone relatable. Some women want someone aspirational and cool, some women want to fantasize about straight men not being **** heads (so they listen to straight male artists).

 

It's just a matter of what they're looking to get out of the music. And Taylor rewards that investment with the lore, the feeling that you know her, etc.

She's one of the most easily digestible and least polarizing figures in music ever. In other words, basic and harmless. 

 

The only thing that sets her apart from other artists with similar easily digestible image and music is the incredibly loyal and borderline obsessed fanbase she's able to cultivate since she was a teenager, and she's made sure to never alienate them in any way throughout her career. That's why they stayed, they're willing to buy anything she puts out and are even willing to go to war for her. 

•By being the whitest woman alive in the most racist country on earth.

 

•blonde
 

•blue eyes

 

•rich parents 

 

•manipulative

 

Marketing. She built a relationship with her consumers and has managed to retain them as repeat customers.

I see this thread being posted at least once every six months lol. I think it's because of her fashion and down-to-earth/normal personality, and strong lyrics. I think the last two points died with this album. 

Edited by Princess Aurora

She gives mediocre women and basic gays hope :heart2:

Edited by Kristie Kuwa

Unless u or your musty faves are able to write albums like folklore on your own u have no say in calling her basic 

Ah yes, ignoring all other albums she's released to claim she isn't a talented song writer and that the only way she became as big as she did was because she's basic… I'm sure you are arguing in good faith and just can't simply say "hey she's not my cup of tea but that's okay".

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.