Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Will Katy have a big comeback?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 50
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • State of Grace.
    State of Grace.

    What would be a "big" comeback for her? Smile opened with 8M streams so a 15-20M debut would be seen as a big win.  The best thing she could do is actually release good albums and become a Carly Rae J

  • No but I could see KP6 doing slightly better than Smile if she plays her cards right. But the big comeback that ATRL dreams about is just not realistic

I mean if miley who has been on the outskirts of charts for three eras straight can have her revival moment with Flowers, I can't see why it can't be for Katy

No sorry. After smile i just don't buy it. 

 

I need at least to know the producers on this one is first class

No, but I hope the music is good. She can be a new version of Charlie XCX: she creates good music, but she doesn't dominate the charts. 

No. She's been over yall just can't accept it and move on already.

Katy was never an artistic girl. So I don't understand why people are expecting her to take the Carly/Charli route. She doesn't have the ear for good cutting edge collaborators or even underground ones. I could see Dua taking this route once the hits are done, but not Katy.

 

The best scenario for Katy is to come back with good old catchy pop music, on trend, but still natural to her audience. That'd be dance-pop mixed with some singer-songwriter stuff she used to play around One of the Boys. Smile had a terrible rollout, even worse aesthetics, but she scored two post-peak hits from it (Harleys and Never Really Over). She needs to tap into her cool girl aesthetic again from around her two first eras with a more mature image and she can have a cute era for herself. If she's able to score at least one healthy hit from each era onwards she will be more than great. Her songbook is enough to sellout shows for years 

 

a comeback that rival her peak? not happening. a cool legacy act that still pops out a hit here and there? absolutely if she fixes her image issues

Edited by liquiddiamonds

Who knows? I'm almost positive the OP made this thread to  specifically call people out if she does well. :dies:

If Never Really Over, Harleys, 365 couldn't do it, I fear not

If she released Perrie's debut solo single "Forget About Us" :jonnycat:

What is even considered a "comeback" in this day and age?

 

A hit song that doesn't freefall? Having a big streaming week? The album debuting at number 1? The album debuting in the top 10? Critical acclaim?

 

I mean....Justin's album debuted at number 4 in Billboard and had a top 20 hit and many people on here consider it a flop. 

 

So, should doing better than Justin be the bar?

 

Either way, I'm interested in seeing which musical/artistic direction Katy goes in cause she could very well pull a CJR and drop a cult classic like "Emotion."

Edited by Storm653

2 hours ago, MadMax12 said:

With it coming to light that media was out to sabotage Katy during witness, it seems they are on her side again now and some have apologised. Witness has skyrocketed on iTunes as a result. Is Katy set to have a big comeback with her upcoming era?

what? when and where?? :eek:

Stans don't seem to realize how rare that an Emancipation comeback from the literal depths of hell actually is. To go from mainstream media laughingstock and two BOMB eras (as well as literal mental institutions) to an enormous era is incredibly rare event and I'm not sure that Katy is the type of singular talent to pull it off. There's not a space missing in popular music without her sound and I don't think she possesses the creative skills either. 

5 minutes ago, Storm653 said:

What is even considered a "comeback" in this day and age?

 

A hit song that doesn't freefall? Having a big streaming week? The album debuting at number 1? The album debuting in the top 10? Critical acclaim?

 

I mean....Justin's album debuted at number 4 in Billboard and had a top 20 hit and many people on here consider it a flop. 

 

So, should doing better than Justin be the bar?

 

Either way, I'm interested in seeing which musical/artistic direction Katy goes in cause she could very well pull a CJR and drop a cult classic like "Emotion."

This as well. Atrl often calls a pop girl returning after a few years or a strong performance after a somewhat unsuccessful era a "comeback.” Very, very few artists have smashed after being completely down and out

 

 

I don't see it happening. She fell off once radio started to lose its influence and streaming was becoming the primary method for music consumption. In order to be successful today artists need to operate within a niche, even the big artists are in their own niche. Katy's lane was generic, fun pop songs but that has an expiration date and her career trajectory proves this. Y'all love to say she flopped because of her horrible haircut and failed reinvention with Witness but the real problem was she didn't musically evolve or cultivate a loyal audience. She was still doing the same thing she always did but with a bad haircut. There was no substance or genuine edge to it.  I don't think Katy has the artistic vision to comeback in a big way, tbh. She might get another one off hit though that's not impossible. 

 

I think if she plays her cards right, she could actually have a Believe-sized comeback. 

Depends on the music but I doubt she can have a successful album. It has to be really good

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

This as well. Atrl often calls a pop girl returning after a few years or a strong performance after a somewhat unsuccessful era a "comeback.” Very, very few artists have smashed after being completely down and out

 

 

I just feel like there's no criteria for what constitutes a "comeback" verses simply not retiring from music. 

 

Madonna's last album, Madame X, debuted at number 1 on Billboard 36 years after her debut. Was Madame X a "comeback?" Janet Jackson's last album in 2015 also went number 1, more than a decade after the Superbowl incident. Was Unbreakable a "comeback?"

 

That's why I feel, in Katy's case, it should be more determined by the quality or acclaim of the album because I don't see her having Witness level impact today with new music, never mind TD/Prism impact. 

 

 

Edited by Storm653

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that if she comes back with something like this, it will be a really big hit for her.

 

 

And of course she has a chance for a big comeback. Even in the Smile era, she managed to have two cute recognizable hits. I would dare to say that Harleys In Hawaii did the best for her in terms of GP recognition in many years (since 2014?).

 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.