Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

Do you ever get confused for a different race?

Featured Replies

Happens to me a lot. I'm latino, and it's usually non-latino who always ask me if I'm Asian or half Asian. This old Jewish woman at my job  yesterday asked if I was oriental, and I had to tell her nope. I've even had some Asian people think I'm Asian too. My 23andme says I'm 59.7% Southern European (italian+spaniard) and 34% Native American so im assuming it's the native American side thats making people think I look Asian or part Asian. I've even been in Vegas a few years back and had these 2 guys say a bunch of Asian slurs to me as I walked by them, it didn't affect me because I'm not Asian but I felt really bad at how racist it was though. 

  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but I thought Agnes was black until I found out that she's just blackfishing :thing:

No because I'm the whitest white. But people usually think I'm German or Dutch or I have lived abroad because I don't have accent while speaking.

People always are in an annoying shock when they discover I can speak Spanish.

Yes a lot of people think I’m Latino, but I’m half white/ half Asian. Even people in Mexico thought I was Mexican 

I'm mixed White/Indigenous but people used to ask me if I had asian ancestry when I was younger

17 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

No but I thought Agnes was black until I found out that she's just blackfishing :thing:

Me too, and it's a mess because her music is so good :dancehall3:

25 minutes ago, Distantconstellation said:

Happens to me a lot. I'm latino, and it's usually non-latino who always ask me if I'm Asian or half Asian. This old Jewish woman at my job  yesterday asked if I was oriental, and I had to tell her nope. I've even had some Asian people think I'm Asian too. My 23andme says I'm 59.7% Southern European (italian+spaniard) and 34% Native American so im assuming it's the native American side thats making people think I look Asian or part Asian. I've even been in Vegas a few years back and had these 2 guys say a bunch of Asian slurs to me as I walked by them, it didn't affect me because I'm not Asian but I felt really bad at how racist it was though. 

same here, i'm mexican and lots of people just assume i'm asian all the time

 

never really looked into my ancestry tho

Yes, in fact I get mistaken for a different race more than I get identified as my actual race. :toofunny3: I am Filipino but I get mistaken for Mexican all the time.

i’m mixed white/polynesian and people will guess every other race except that :rip:

I’m mixed Asian, Arab and white and I’ve been mistaken for every single race except for white

I could purchase the entirety of Amazon if I had even a penny for every time somebody confused me for somebody from Mexico or Latin America.

One of my best friends growing up was Latino and bilingual, we hung out a lot and I picked up some Spanish. Not a ton, but enough to respond and understand basic stuff and I got called a HisBlacknic by the older kids to the point that people thought me and my friend were actually related 😂

 

I also remember a couple of instances where White men used to ask if I was mixed with something, one told me  “You just look like you’ve got something else swirling in there.” 💀💀💀💀

I have extremely black features so that was bizarre looking back lol

im turkish and some people in istanbul assume that i am west european even when i am silently minding my business at that moment

they start speaking english to me out of nowhere considering im a foreigner

It may not be any of us, but it happens to Bruno Mars, Nicole Scherzinger, Vanessa Hudgens and Olivia Rodrigo. A lot of people really confused them for Latino, Mexican; or just any other different ethnicity or race in the world.

Edited by iconiclegend

A lot of people think I'm Arab or from the Mediterranean region but I am a white Latino

3 hours ago, Illuminati said:

No but I thought Agnes was black until I found out that she's just blackfishing :thing:

Wait she's not?? :skull:

no but some people in my home country think I'm a Ukrainian refugee :rip:

8 hours ago, Illuminati said:

No but I thought Agnes was black until I found out that she's just blackfishing :thing:

wtff this is crazy to me, I was sure she was mixed

 

main-qimg-0a6e921d375436d348c13379a059a6

 

________________

 

people have told me that I look Aramean and I remember having to look it up..still not sure if it's a compliment or not but I'll take it

not confused but lots of people online and irl think i have some kind of east asian blood going on lmao. and mind you im white brazilian

People often asked me if I was asian because I have small eyes (???) and I'm Mexican :gayorkcat2:

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.