Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

K-Pop Thread: 2022 Archive

Featured Replies

4 hours ago, IAmJustAKnee said:

To be honest I feel like I understand but I'm also a little lost so I'm gonna sort of reiterate what you said just to make sure I comprehended right. In terms of the international market, what about the J-line in TWICE? Or do you mean as in it is the idea that she basically wants to make a name for Japanese idols and artists internationally overall on to like the same level that Korean entertainment is right now? And then in turn with the hope that whenever she gains the recognition that Japanese idols deserve, she might become a soloist in Japan in which there is a market gap right now?

Well, TWICE is a K-Pop group with 3 Japanese members and the group does have successful career in Japan, but its roots are Korean.

 

I was talking about J-Pop groups and artists in general.

 

As I said in my post, K-Pop's takeover is a result of a long-term strategy. It first found success in Japan between mid 00s-early 10s (see: BoA's route), to then expand to (the rest of) Asia, Europe and the US.

Unlike South Korea, and despite it being the 2nd largest market of the world, Japan's music industry is still physical-driven.

A nice part of J-Pop remains absent from online services, many music videos are cut in half (if/when they're uploaded on YouTube) and the overall market is definitely less accessible if compared to what South Korea offers to international fans. This is one of the reasons why K-Pop now has a bigger foreign recognition.


At the moment we can identify easily identify three two market gaps when it comes to Japan's domestic market:
1.  Japanese artists close to South Korea's scheme (see: NiziU, JO1's success, MAGICOUR, PRIKIL's debuts, etc.)

2.  Japanese female soloist. They have been struggling for quite some time now (Utada is an exception) and since Namie Amuro (truly the Queen of J-Pop) decided to retire in 2017 no new artist truly found success (although not many properly tried tho).


Now back to Sakura, she clearly said she wants to prove that Japanese artists are great too, which (I think) is strongly connected to her crazy improvement.

She's ambitious and ready to challenge herself, reasons why I can picture her doing her best with LE SSERAFIM in both Korea and Japan at first, and knowing HYBE probably in other countries as well.

Once the group's success is established, she would have the right background to debut as a big soloist in Japan and would be able to fill one (or two, depending on the sound/visuals) gap(s).  

 

Also, this is a bit of a stretch, but Rino Sashihara (a former member of AKB48 and HKT48) founded three successful idol groups as a producer (=LOVE, ≠Me, ≒Joy). It could be an intriguing thing to do for Sakura and it would be compatible the overall "I want people to know that Japanese are great too" philosophy.

  • Replies 78.1k
  • Views 4.7m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

1 hour ago, hallucinate said:

SM not pushing Red Velvet (and by push i mean basic promotions) in the US was/is such a huge mistake honestly. Luckily there is still demand for them but we all know SM will continue to pay dust :gaycat6:

their biggest mistake was exo tbh imagine not pushing monster 

Yeppi Yeppi - Dreams Come True - Lucid Dream - Next Level would immediately send aespa to high heaven

And I don't think SM is stupid enough to make them lip-sync, they would get drag to the deepest part of hell if that happens :rip: 

5 hours ago, ayndr said:

 

Now we can wait for the real meltdowns :bunny:

More lip synced and stiff performances.. yay. Going to make everyone think all are as talentless as them. :bunny:

Edited by xfreshkidxx

@Ryan BTE could we please change the title to "aespachella is COMING; main stage BOOKED" or some equivalent :fan:

 

OT: I'm so excited for these girls, this is huge news. If they get this right, they really will silence the haters. 

 

 

Aespa need to sing live at coachella 

 

 

Its a big leap from performing to no audiences to coachella  :rip:

5 hours ago, Jenlisa said:

This label wants them to be the next BP so bad. Forget the charts all those singles are whack and so is the concept

 

If it’s another Macy’s mess I’ll be watching 

I forgot about that atrocity :dies:

Yea SM fumbled the bag with choosing æspa than RV. 2NE1 proved the crowd lives for nostalgia, all those classics RV has and honesty their concepts fit the Coachella vibe better. Perched for the live vocals & strong stage presence they may serve 

2 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

Hopefully Aespa doesn't lip sync for their lives again. The Macys concert was a disaster.

I mean tbf everyone lip syncs at Macys nowdays, the biggest problem with that performance was the song choice :rip:

 

I'm looking forward to seeing aespa performe, as long as the setlist is good they should be fine.

3 minutes ago, ZORBIT said:

Yea SM fumbled the bag with choosing æspa than RV. 2NE1 proved the crowd lives for nostalgia, all those classics RV has and honesty their concepts fit the Coachella vibe better. Perched for the live vocals & strong stage presence they may serve 

RV doesn't even have a U.S. record deal whereas aespa does. I mean Capitol and Virgin Music have both spoken about RV publicly and wanting to sign them to their labels, but SM has shown no interest in pushing them in the West, so that ship has really sailed. As others said, the moment was Bad Boy but SM passed on it. 

 

Plus RV are getting to the end of their 10 years soon. The fact that they are still so popular/successful is just down to the strength of the group. 

 

It's aespa's moment now and I hope they really bring their A game. 

 

26 minutes ago, thirdward said:

their biggest mistake was exo tbh imagine not pushing monster 

yeah SM really ****** things up :deadbanana2:what a stupid company

5 minutes ago, Lalisa said:

 

Not them charting in Canada too  :bibliahh:

 

Also still top 10 in Apple Music global and close to the top 50 on Spotify global 

 

 

 

Yeah this Aespa performance is gonna be interesting…….it seems a lil too soon for them ngl

 

btw I kinda love Onew’s new mini? He’s always been my fave voice of Shinee but he always got stuck with the ballads so with this I was like yessssssss

 

at first I thought DICE was a too lowkey but it sticks in your head. plus the production is really light and fun (love the synth flourishes). idk it’s just a lovely poppy springy nostalgic sounding song lmao. Bi King

Edited by 4Walls

2 hours ago, WhalieX said:

FQpQWYCXEAYX_a-?format=jpg&name=medium

 

yeah she got the HYBE special :doc:

:rip: Her group is full of visual holes anyways. 

Y'all here RV this RV that... But what would have been real gaggy is SNSD surprise appearance. 

It makes no point marketing wise but it would have such a great 15yo reunion. 

Edited by Xalric

always the worst people using “visual hole” like just say you hate women :rip:

Just now, cloudbusting said:

always the worst people using “visual hole” like just say you hate women :rip:

They use it for BG too but then your eyes are closed and might even co-sign. 

1 minute ago, cloudbusting said:

always the worst people using “visual hole” like just say you hate women :rip:

It’s such a disgusting term...:coffee2: especially when the members are really gorgeous 

Not here for an Aespa Coachella performance if they’re not going to sing live. If SM gives them a lipsynced boring weekly music show performance I swear their team is just lost and don’t know what the hell they’re doing. 

7 minutes ago, Xalric said:

They use it for BG too but then your eyes are closed and might even co-sign. 

it’s overwhelmingly used for girl groups but no, I don’t like it as a term in general

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.