Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Beyoncé

This is part 1 of the Beyoncé discussion.

Featured Replies

1 minute ago, Brikenbur said:

We don’t let people say that :deadbanana2:

I’ve seen the conversation several times on here and twitter about those girls having bigger peaks and the hive usually responds with “well my fave is still standing” as if they agree her peak was the weakest which is not true. I even saw a line chart somewhere comparing everyone’s albums peaks (which is only one measure of success). People dragged Gaga for having the biggest decline, her chart looked like a steep mountain mountain on both sides :coffee:. And Beyoncé was praised for having the “straightest” line but dragged for not ever being the most popular. 

  • Replies 143.5k
  • Views 7.2m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topics in this Discussion

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • It was the best concert of my life, bar none. Idc!    It was extraordinary, it was ineffable.  I knew I loved it based on the videos but I... Hey I don't know.    Best moment

  • SashaDevachelli
    SashaDevachelli

    I know this award is a joke but the point is, she has cemented herself in history with the likes of Whitney and Lauryn. And on top of that she won an award for a genre that completely ridiculed and ex

  • Potentially #1 in the US, UK and Canada in the same week   

20 minutes ago, Fleahive said:

I agree and disagree. Her opening numbers for self titled and lemonade were SMASHES. Can’t think of anyone who outsold those numbers besides Adele and Taylor. Beyonce even beat out Bieber and Drakes HUGE albums at the time (views and purpose). Her problem is ironically she lacks longevity with her album sales but the opposite with her singles sales. She opens big and falls down the chart pretty quickly. A lot of the girlies can stay #1 on the album chart for a month or so before falling down. I think Renaissance has charted the best because it was ultimately about the music. Self titled itself was a gimmick. Lemonade was the biggest gimmick of her career. She scammed us all into buying tidal or a pure digital copy to find out what Jay Z did only to reveal half way into the film they’re back together. Once the media stopped caring about the Jay z cheating scandal the album dropped from the charts. She needs to continue to release REAL singles post album drop to keep the public wanting to come back. 
 

 

Yes I meant long term sales, initial impact was huge that’s why I said she was the biggest star in the world. The numbers stalled and it shouldn’t have.

 

I wouldn’t call those albums gimmicks though. I do think lemonade should have stuck with the hurt/ betrayal theme, because halfway through we are at redemption and I’m like noooooo… I want to stay in this angry space lol That’s why pray you catch me through daddy lessons is impeccable. Erase love drought, freedom, sandcastles and end with formation/all night. 
 

Lemonade should have been the jagged little pill for this generation. 

Edited by sillycilla

18 minutes ago, Fleahive said:

I agree and disagree. Her opening numbers for self titled and lemonade were SMASHES. Can’t think of anyone who outsold those numbers besides Adele and Taylor. Beyonce even beat out Bieber and Drakes HUGE albums at the time (views and purpose). Her problem is ironically she lacks longevity with her album sales but the opposite with her singles sales. She opens big and falls down the chart pretty quickly. A lot of the girlies can stay #1 on the album chart for a month or so before falling down. I think Renaissance has charted the best because it was ultimately about the music. Self titled itself was a gimmick. Lemonade was the biggest gimmick of her career. She scammed us all into buying tidal or a pure digital copy to find out what Jay Z did only to reveal half way into the film they’re back together. Once the media stopped caring about the Jay z cheating scandal the album dropped from the charts. She needs to continue to release REAL singles post album drop to keep the public wanting to come back. 
 

 

Beyonce does not NEED to do anything and you still don't get that..She is not chasing anything or care for all this mess you are talking about. The woman is at the stage where does who ride for her will aways ride for her and those who don't can kiss rocks. She does not need to prove anything to anyone to get streams

Does anyone think Beyoncé not performing her career hits during her vanguard performance was a mistake? I loved it but when I rewatch, not a lot of people knew the songs from the album. Idk 

6 minutes ago, sillycilla said:

Does anyone think Beyoncé not performing her career hits during her vanguard performance was a mistake? I loved it but when I rewatch, not a lot of people knew the songs from the album. Idk 

No. She made history and did something unprecedented with the visuals from that very album and performing it made perfect sense. 

 

29 minutes ago, Fleahive said:

I agree and disagree. Her opening numbers for self titled and lemonade were SMASHES. Can’t think of anyone who outsold those numbers besides Adele and Taylor. Beyonce even beat out Bieber and Drakes HUGE albums at the time (views and purpose). Her problem is ironically she lacks longevity with her album sales but the opposite with her singles sales. She opens big and falls down the chart pretty quickly. A lot of the girlies can stay #1 on the album chart for a month or so before falling down. I think Renaissance has charted the best because it was ultimately about the music. Self titled itself was a gimmick. Lemonade was the biggest gimmick of her career. She scammed us all into buying tidal or a pure digital copy to find out what Jay Z did only to reveal half way into the film they’re back together. Once the media stopped caring about the Jay z cheating scandal the album dropped from the charts. She needs to continue to release REAL singles post album drop to keep the public wanting to come back. 
 

 

She didn't scam anyone. Was she supposed to say "SPOILER ALERT!!! WE'RE STILL TOGETHER!" when she dropped it?  It was the story of their separation and reconciliation. Even the name Lemonade implied something good was going to come from something bad.

 

Like, did you feel scammed when The Lion King (Mufasa) died before the end of the Lion King and no one told you? :rip: 

Edited by ShouldersSideways

11 hours ago, Devin said:

If Swifties acting like #that in theaters.

 

ik RWT gonna be so ghetto in theaters, I can hear that gay in the back screaming YOU BETTA ROLL THAT NECK B*TCH during ITG scene. 
 

spacer.png

BRING THE BED! BRING THE BED! AND SLEEP

11 hours ago, Fleahive said:


I can’t help but think that if a white woman had the exact same career path as Beyonce she’d be called the modern Queen of pop without any pushback. Beyonce is the only person that gets pushback for their royal nickname “Queen bey”. She suffers from so much racism when you really think about how she is constantly downplayed by non black folks. White gays have the nerve to pretend 2000s were all Britney vs Christina when Beyoncé chewed and spit them both out factually according to billboard. They erase her from 2010s and act like Katy and Gaga ran it when they both fell off a few years in and Beyonce was still there constantly making headlines for her MUSIC and PERFORMANCES. In 2020s and certain skinned people still pretend she’s not popular because THEY CHOOSE to not listen to her music. I’m sorry maybe I’m just in my feelings this week but every non black person that has something negative to say about Beyoncés success IS A RACIST whether they realize it or not. And IDC if they like Rihanna’s GREEN EYED ISLAND GIRL BIRACIAL PASSING ASS. 

I think Beyoncé gets hate because of her queen like status and perfectionism. It’s my opinion that a lot of people that don’t like Beyoncé are insecure because what she stands for and it makes them feel less than. I think it’s the reason why her likes on IG are ‘low’, I don’t think it’s entirely racism but people being unable to relate. 

11 hours ago, Devin said:

If Swifties acting like #that in theaters.

 

ik RWT gonna be so ghetto in theaters, I can hear that gay in the back screaming YOU BETTA ROLL THAT NECK B*TCH during ITG scene. 
 

spacer.png

And I wouldn’t have it any other way 

spacer.png

I’m still hoping it’s Truth Or Dare/Blond Ambition type release. spacer.png

1 minute ago, black-star1 said:

I think Beyoncé gets hate because of her queen like status and perfectionism. It’s my opinion that a lot of people that don’t like Beyoncé are insecure because what she stands for and it makes them feel less than. I think it’s the reason why her likes on IG are ‘low’, I don’t think it’s entirely racism but people being unable to relate. 

With you on most of this, but race IMO absolutely runs parallel to this. 

 

Her perfectionism is both alluring and intimidating to the basics. That said, I can't be convinced that Bey's Becky equivalent would not be hailed as the second coming of Christ.

 

Bey's race comes with its own layered complexities and embedded BS, and it's a recipe for a lot of the unfair treatment/depiction that she gets.

 

On the one hand, like MJ, Bey has almost become post-racial. All things to all people. But unlike MJ whose legit vitiligo and general visual transformation ironically helped make him even more ambiguous/appealing to the wider audience, Bey's Blackness can't be bypassed visually. Blonde wig or nah, she is very clearly a Black woman.

 

it's the very reason a lot of the GP can go up for her bops, run to her shows etc but somehow detach when she centralizes her Blackness. It's also why they can quite literally witness and admit to her greatness and never adequately reward her for it. There is something innate that activates a certain disconnect with the ruling "majority".

 

Humans, more than the world likes to admit, are very much giving animal kingdom in terms of the "leading pack" establishing superiority, hierarchal ordering, and pushing to ensure things stay as they are. Even subconsciously. 

 

It's the very reason I'm SO passionate (and proud) to stan acts like Bey and the MJs and co before her. They literally bulldozed barriers that were literally installed to keep them outside of the very success they managed to achieve. Being #1 when the game was designed to not even have you at #10 is a reality of their success narrative that is not spoken of enough. 

I think we're kind of out of the Beyoncé is overrated and overhyped era (mostly cause Taylor is the target now :rip:) so i think her being low-key helped.

 

She's been persistent, but about her music, and it's helped in the long run. Unless you're a fan, all you really have from Beyoncé is music. There's no relationship drama or speculation, no "inside sources" leaking private tea, not even a Twitter or social media trail to really follow.

 

There was a time I'd avoid Instagram comments when Beyoncé was the subject, but it's like people are really giving her her flowers now.

 

I'd also say the growing presence of K-pop has helped because so many artists of that genre look up to her and as a result so do their fans. Groups like BLACKPINK and TWICE have really allowed me to see just how adored and influential Beyoncé is.

 

She knows what she's doing at the end of the day.

9 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

I think we're kind of out of the Beyoncé is overrated and overhyped era (mostly cause Taylor is the target now :rip:) so i think her being low-key helped.

 

She's been persistent, but about her music, and it's helped in the long run. Unless you're a fan, all you really have from Beyoncé is music. There's no relationship drama or speculation, no "inside sources" leaking private tea, not even a Twitter or social media trail to really follow.

 

There was a time I'd avoid Instagram comments when Beyoncé was the subject, but it's like people are really giving her her flowers now.

 

I'd also say the growing presence of K-pop has helped because so many artists of that genre look up to her and as a result so do their fans. Groups like BLACKPINK and TWICE have really allowed me to see just how adored and influential Beyoncé is.

 

She knows what she's doing at the end of the day.

True. I think what also helps beyonce is that people know she does not give a **** what they say......

6 hours ago, Draper. said:

She can do jazz when she's 60 and we are all 40 honestly, we need bops now.

I agree we can wait for a jazz album but I don’t necessarily neeeed bops from Beyoncé anymore. We literally JUST got that.

 

It’s more of the fact that Beyoncé has already had the longevity she’s had and has so much territory to cover that makes whatever her next move is, musically, exciting! The other girlies don’t have that :alexz3:

I have major Celebration Tour opening night FOMO :'( I’m so glad I got to see the RWT ha debut. Both my main faves touring in the same year :WAP:

56 minutes ago, king_queen said:

I agree we can wait for a jazz album but I don’t necessarily neeeed bops from Beyoncé anymore. We literally JUST got that.

 

It’s more of the fact that Beyoncé has already had the longevity she’s had and has so much territory to cover that makes whatever her next move is, musically, exciting! The other girlies don’t have that :alexz3:

Like @Draper.said, more bops pls. 

 

Yes, Rennie was an amazing, conceptual, and critically delicious return to "bops" and uptempos, but there's more ground she can cover. Mainly because it's been so long since she really went there-there. 

 

I've long felt the brand shift that she ushered in with Self Titled and has basically doubled down on ever since (see: edgy, stripped back, raw, and generally slower tempo) worked incredibly well and is vital to her artistic journey and current critical acclaim (Lemonade, for example)

 

HOWEVER...

 

As a career-long fan, that slower, ethereal, almost indie-like sound pre-Rennie is not what the masses think of when they think Beyonce. Nor are the songs released during that phase what they rush to play from her either (sans maybe Formation and DIL). 

 

Bey is at her most optimal when in her uptempo, catchy, uplifting, fierce bag sonically. IMO, it's a huge ingredient of why Rennie worked so well. It literally lifted moods, brought happiness, and had a life of its own. She's finally giving us POP STATR again, so not quite sure anyone is ready for her to pivot down dreary Lemonade lane again. 

 

She has her latter career to go the Jazz route, drop a full on ballad album, drop another EIL, so on and so forth. And I really think she'll play those cards when she doesn't want to be strapping herself into a leotard learning the latest viral dance. 

 

More than anything, a big joy of stanning Bey for me is how amazingly versatile she is. There are so many shapeshifts available when the time is right. 

 

But, in the here and now, she's realistically/probably in the latter phase of her "peak" as an all-out agile performer. So, she may as well max it out with material that befits that. 

 

IMO, rather than anything too drastic, she can still tick-box the "Pop girl transforms for an era" ish and keep it uptempo. If she can find a distinct enough point of difference from The Gift marketing-wise, I'd personally love to see her re-dabble with Afrobeats. Maybe anchor it in Amampiano for a fresher angle. It's a world away from Rennie, but crucially can still see her chart and get played on radio and in the clubs too...something we'd been missing for so long.

Bey will always get blind hate directed towards her and that's simply due to her status, but I would say we are for the most part fizzling out of the “Beyonce is overrated” hate campaign. This tour and era definitely helped remind people how charming and full of personality she really is, and with the Mute challenge/Blue Ivy performing the GP is adoring her much more than usual.
 

I also think her silence in the media is more helpful than what we really give it credit for, as annoying as it is fan perspective-wise

 


the wardrobe malfunction totally threw her off and she messed up the bridge so badly. Honey was laughing her ass off :ahh:

maybe an unpopular opinion but y’all know idgaf, that Run The World thread made me remember just how much she loved that messy ass song and really stood behind it (and still does for whatever reason). it doesn’t feel like she loves her current music as much, or at least not in the same way 

 

i can get her not performing Lemonade songs due to the messages and period they are attached to, but i really don’t think she’ll perform many (or any) Ren songs in half a decade either (but she’ll continue spamming us with random skips from 4 or Dil :deadbanana4:)

 

coupled with the lack of promo & 0 performances outside of a tour really make it feel like she’s not as connected to her output like she used to be which makes me question why she does the whole experimental / out of the box thing she does (which i love and hope she never stops) but damn if you love 4 THAT much why aren’t you just making music like that ? (not something i want at all just, just an observation) 

10 minutes ago, cloudbusting said:

spacer.png

it’s what she gets for cutting off the best part of RDY and refusing to use Schoolin Life again 

 

spacer.png

Just now, ScorpiosGroove said:

it’s what she gets for cutting off the best part of RDY and refusing to use Schoolin Life again 

 

spacer.png

okay fair, valid points there :giraffe:

Just now, cloudbusting said:

okay fair, valid points there :giraffe:

i love bridges… i loved bridges since i was a little girl :giraffe:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.