Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Should evermore have been a folklore Side-B?

Featured Replies

a deluxe edition perhaps? a side b? it would be iconic i fear! 

 

evermore is paid so much dust i need it to be a bit more relevant to the geepee they keep paying it dust! tis the damn season deserves the august hype as well!

 

also it sucks bc commercially its like twice the flop of speak now compared to her other albums  but its such a good record!

 

stream her best song of all time

 

 

 

Since folklore is inferior to evermore, I understand the need for the evermore boost but folklore is good enough to stand on its own. :clap3:

  • Author
Just now, Taylor fanboy said:

Since folklore is inferior to evermore, I understand the need for the evermore boost but folklore is good enough to stand on its own. :clap3:

evermore is just too good i fear! its like emotion vs emotion side b :jonny5:

I originally thought Evermore was a cheap extension of Folklore but I’ve grown to appreciate it as its own body of work. 

Everyone treats it like a Folklore Side-B tho :swan:

 

Even Taylor sacrificed Evermore and turned it into just part of Folklore's Grammys campaign

evermore is wayyyy too excellent to be considered a b side. 

Edited by Klein

Folklore is the superior album and her best album period, but that's not evermore's fault. It still bodies half of her discography as a standalone album

While I understand where you’re coming from, Evermore deserves its identity as its own distinct body of work - even if many people don’t treat it as such, including industry publications when they made year-end lists. I don’t know if this will ever be a popular opinion with critics or members of the general public, but Evermore is her best work. If it remains her most obscure release - insofar as any Taylor Swift album or an album that’s moved like 7 million units can be “obscure” - forever, it will still be worth it for the music itself.

 

I also think it’s completely distinct from Folklore in terms of sound and lyrics. When I listen to Folklore, I feel the summer of all those stories, of the characters and the places that they experience. It’s almost like a movie. When I listen to Evermore, it’s a totally different experience. It feels like the thin veil of fictionality has started to lift and like it’s all a little more true to her. The sounds seem less controlled and calculated, and it covers more sonic territory - there’s a little bit more synth pop creeping in, there’s much more in the way of country. And of course it feels a little more like a cold November day - there’s a little more melancholy there, a little more nostalgia, than Folklore ever really has.

 

I should note that while Taylor herself has been clear that these are “sister” albums, sisters can be as different as day and night despite their relation.

 

To conflate the two as many fans do, and as publications do, feels like it doesn’t respect the stark differences between the two albums, or the quality that Evermore gave us. I tend to raise an eyebrow at anyone who calls it a B-sides album and means it in a dismissive or negative way. That’s not what you’re doing here, of course, but that’s what a lot of people mean when they talk about this idea.

 

I don’t think I’ve ever loved an album more than I love Evermore - it only gets better with age. Rather than it having been marketed more like an extension of Folklore than it already was, I hope to see it someday highlighted, given an LPSS, and expanded.

In a way, it already kind of is. Not in the literal sense that it’s outtakes that didn’t make the original, I know it’s all new material she started on mostly, if not entirely after folklore dropped. But it’s a sister album for a reason, in the same way Carly has done it with her last three albums. Both folklore and evermore are two sides of the same coin and can/should coexist in relation with each other, but separately. Plus, evermore is just too amazing to have been deemed as a deluxe edition or something - I prefer folklore overall but it’s like comparing an 11/10 with a 10/10. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.