Beyoncé

Kisuke

I saw this incredible mini-documentary about the History of Disco and learnt so much about Disco and so much of Renaissance got more context for me!!! 

It is a great watch but here are the two stand outs for me (these are my deductions the video doesn't talk bey) - 

1. THIQUE is spelt like that because of "Discotheques"

2. Renaissance cover is Bey on a horse because of Studio54. Studio 54 is an integral part of Disco's history and its opening marked and ushered in what is called the golden age of Disco. In its opening week, there was a party for Mick Jagger's wife (Bianca Jagger). She has an iconic moment at mid-night when she got on a white horse (which was ushered in by a naked man covered in glitter). 

The Video - 

The image - 

Bianca Jagger Finally Sets The Record Straight About That Night At Studio  54 | Vanity Fair

This video made me appreciate the album so much more, including understanding its context better. Also its importance in history, especially for LGBT+ people, particularly black queer people. And its importance and timing right now with increased attacks on trans people made the documentary hit harder. 

• Replies 109.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• ShouldersSideways

• Lose My Breath

• Mitsouko

1 hour ago, G'Day said:

Catalog streams plummeting

Renaissance out of the Top 10

No performance 

No video 

No tour announcement 

The era is going exactly how Bey planned — so happy for her! 

I just want Act II at this point since great music is the only thing we can count on her for anymore. 

Hee catalogue streams are what's weird. Why is that alluding her team? But apparently everything is at this point.

1 hour ago, kimberly said:

this is far from the truth. do y'all want Beyoncé to make a TikTok with Olivia Rodrigo and Conan Gray lol

she works with new and breakthrough artists constantly. BEAM (featured on "Energy") released his debut album earlier this year, Tems (featured on "Move") doesn't have an album out yet. They are both artists that charted for the first time in 2021. and there's of course Megan Thee Stallion.

wait BEAM is a man? I've been under the impression that was a female since I seem to recall reading that all the collabs were with women. I just assumed she had a real deep voice

10 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

wait BEAM is a man? I've been under the impression that was a female since I seem to recall reading that all the collabs were with women. I just assumed she had a real deep voice

:dies:

I don't think it was ever said the collabs would be all women, though perhaps you might be remembering the whole "Beyoncé is running #MeToo background checks for her collaborators" rumor/tabloid piece, which undoubtedly leaves out many men and few (if any) women among her potential collaborators.

7 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Some of you puzzled by the catalogue streams yet don’t listen to it yourselves :skull: 

When the album dropped most of then were saying that they could only listen to RENAISSANCE and not a single one of her other albums so I guess it was the general consensus with the entire fanbase :rip:

3 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

When the album dropped most of then were saying that they could only listen to RENAISSANCE and not a single one of her other albums so I guess it was the general consensus with the entire fanbase :rip:

Seems that way lol 

I think Bey doing the bare minimum the last few eras is finally catching up to her now. The 6 years between Lem and REN wasn’t a good idea. I know the side projects happened, but those didn’t hype anyone. To the GP, she was gone. 

If Beyoncé or her team don’t care why do y’all? Having meltdowns everyday day while Beyoncé is out partying with her friends or spending time with her family will always be hilarious to me :deadbanana2:

1 hour ago, Starshine said:

Madonna tried to understand how to keep longevity. She surrounded herself with younger artists/people, saw their pov, kept herself up to date and adapted with the trends even if they may have been below her. I'd say Bey is the opposite. She hasn't been following the trends for over a decade and there IS a trend right now where artists are more "reachable" and personable in a sense. There's less superstars, whatever Jennifer Aniston was complaining about. :rip: Her Instagram doesn't really scream "relatable" or even give a glimpse into her life, it's just PR photoshoots from an iPhone and no captions. It hasn't been that was since like 2014. So yes, there is a disconnect there that has been affecting her commercially for years. If you really think about it, she didn't maximize social media at all 2010-2022: Twitter, Insta, etc when every player in the game was. She doesn't really "use" TikTok, which has a gorilla grip on the entire music industry and she is far far away from "stooping that low" or whatever you guys perceive that to be, to even appeal to the newer generation who currently is responsible for Spotify numbers. Like it's clearly showing. She doesn't care and we shouldn't either, but pretending everything is fine and dandy... like shes above everything according to users in here etc etc etc. pls. :deadbanana: 

Eh. Her best wra on social media was 2013-2017. The Tumblr/early Instagram era. Once she went ghost in December 2016 and popped out in February 2016 4/5 months pregnant, it changed.

Now I am proud of her for being so open during her second pregnancy but she shut down after that. People have assumed that one of the twins is sicker than the other because of it. None of our business, just saying. 

I'm sorry but she IS above all the social media shennanigans. Insta, twitter, tick tock w/e. Her instagram could not be more on point I always redirect my girl friends to it to get some sense into their heads.

It plays in her favor to market herself as an old school type of diva & superstar rather than a 'current' & relatable act. It's wouldn't be Beyonce otherwise tbh. 

What she is NOT above however is performing her ****. Like get your ass out there and perform your songs ffs, that's literally what your legacy is bulit on. The fact that 3 (three) award shows performances per era has moved into the realm of fantasy for us is just :deadbanana2:

7 minutes ago, AxelFox said:

I'm sorry but she IS above all the social media shennanigans. Insta, twitter, tick tock w/e. Her instagram could not be more on point I always redirect my girl friends to it to get some sense into their heads.

It plays in her favor to market herself as an old school type of diva & superstar rather than a 'current' & relatable act. It's wouldn't be Beyonce otherwise tbh. 

What she is NOT above however is performing her ****. Like get your ass out there and perform your songs ffs, that's literally what your legacy is bulit on. The fact that 3 (three) award shows performances per era has moved into the realm of fantasy for us is just :deadbanana2:

FACTSSSS

Wow taking a break from Renaissance and coming back to it, it's just amazing!!

Made me have chills all over my body all over again :WAP: Incredible album

10 minutes ago, AxelFox said:

!!!! 

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Some of you puzzled by the catalogue streams yet don’t listen to it yourselves 

Like it's really not puzzling all things considered. The only albums we should be expecting numbers from are ST and Lemonade, because who of us feel like listening to I AM Sash Fierce today? :rip:

Both ST/Lem lack global smashes and Lem just lacks awareness because it was so late to the platform.

4 is still doing amazing for the her big flop album that made her radio poison

Anyway let's celebrate that the Crazy in Love (50 shades remix) has 160m despitw her blocking it from streaming services for 2 years during the peak of the films impact. shows you how well a soundtrack song from her can do 

3 hours ago, Otter said:

The formation tour had less than 4months notice, so good luck 

yeah but it had a super bowl announcement and i was in college so had all the free time to buy tickets 

she’s so annoying 

2 hours ago, yonsé said:

this is her leaving my friend's restaurant lol :rip: 

What’s the restaurant called? Is it in nyc

2 hours ago, Starshine said:

Madonna tried to understand how to keep longevity. She surrounded herself with younger artists/people, saw their pov, kept herself up to date and adapted with the trends even if they may have been below her. I'd say Bey is the opposite. She hasn't been following the trends for over a decade and there IS a trend right now where artists are more "reachable" and personable in a sense. There's less superstars, whatever Jennifer Aniston was complaining about. :rip: Her Instagram doesn't really scream "relatable" or even give a glimpse into her life, it's just PR photoshoots from an iPhone and no captions. It hasn't been that was since like 2014. So yes, there is a disconnect there that has been affecting her commercially for years. If you really think about it, she didn't maximize social media at all 2010-2022: Twitter, Insta, etc when every player in the game was. She doesn't really "use" TikTok, which has a gorilla grip on the entire music industry and she is far far away from "stooping that low" or whatever you guys perceive that to be, to even appeal to the newer generation who currently is responsible for Spotify numbers. Like it's clearly showing. She doesn't care and we shouldn't either, but pretending everything is fine and dandy... like shes above everything according to users in here etc etc etc. pls. :deadbanana: 

Madonna is an embarrassment...i'd rather Beyonce retire than carry on how Madonna is doing

and all this obsession over catalogue streams...once again...stop letting ATRL stans get you guys worked up b/c other popgirls are getting more streams b/c that's really what this is about. as usual.

1 hour ago, G'Day said:

I’m a stan so naturally I was devoting more of my time religiously streaming REN and I guess I thought the GP was still streaming her old stuff.

But I guess none of us are  :cm:

I’m shocked Perfect Duet isn’t back in her Top 10 of Spotify yet considering it’s about to be December.  

I like PD, but I don’t want it back on her list yet lol. I’m surprised LOT is back. 

20 minutes ago, Otter said:

Like it's really not puzzling all things considered. The only albums we should be expecting numbers from are ST and Lemonade, because who of us feel like listening to I AM Sash Fierce today? :rip:

Both ST/Lem lack global smashes and Lem just lacks awareness because it was so late to the platform.

4 is still doing amazing for the her big flop album that made her radio poison

Anyway let's celebrate that the Crazy in Love (50 shades remix) has 160m despitw her blocking it from streaming services for 2 years during the peak of the films impact. shows you how well a soundtrack song from her can do 

ST has good streams though. It will be 3 billion next year. She also held that album back apart from the singles. LEM would probably have been 3 billion if she didn’t hold it back. If she can do 1 billion 3 years later, then I don’t see why she wouldn’t have done 2 billion in the first 3 years. It had massive hype at the time.

"Above social media shenanigans" while trolling on her official website for a week to get the Twitter girls/gays rolling and announcing your single+album through an Insta bio like bffr. :redface: She's not really above it. The same ones praising Cuff It's success (thanks to what challenge on what app?) that is carrying Ren from dwindling down Chromatica-style.

There's a difference to being transparent and properly communicating vs. being desperate doing TikTok challenges.

12 minutes ago, Starshine said:

"Above social media shenanigans" while trolling on her official website for a week to get the Twitter girls/gays rolling and announcing your single+album through an Insta bio like bffr. :redface: She's not really above it. The same ones praising Cuff It's success (thanks to what challenge on what app?) that is carrying Ren from dwindling down Chromatica-style.

There's a difference to being transparent and properly communicating vs. being desperate doing TikTok challenges.

This, it's about transparency. Beyoncé and her team should fix that part :redface:

2 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

This, it's about transparency. Beyoncé and her team should fix that part :redface:

Beyoncé is far from transparant :chick3:

She knows that she dont owe us anything 

2 hours ago, Planet Mars said:

Hee catalogue streams are what's weird. Why is that alluding her team? But apparently everything is at this point.

I think it has to do more than what we discovered the day with her old hits being absent from the large throwback playlists made by Spotify. I feel Spotify as a whole became very playlist dependent after 2019 or so. Because like said previously; before Homecoming, The Gift, and Lemonade, her streams were matching Ariana's and Rihanna's. 

She isn't above it. You just have to use it right. So far, she only has 1 good TikTok and that's the album booklet. The rest is from insta, that's tragic. Hopefully when she tours, things will change there. She could've promoted the album and singles more in her insta stories. When she posted about the vinyl, it sold out straight after. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.