Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

Whose discography has aged better: Britney's vs. Beyonce's?

Better 125 members have voted

  1. 1. Better

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

1 minute ago, Eternium said:

That's a hard disagree, especially when comparing one of the most timeless songs ever (…Baby One More Time). I would argue that the singles from both DIL and BOMT all still sound fresh and listenable in 2024 except for the ballads, which are incredibly dated (FTBOMBH and MM&I). 
 

Being "dated" doesn't mean that a song sounds like it defines a certain time period. "Dated" means that a song is obsolete in the present because it no longer sounds good, despite sounding good in the certain time period it was released. A great example of a dated song would be "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke or "Dance Monkey" by Tones & I. 

I see why we're coming at this from two different angles. Because I would never call BOMT timeless, even if it is one of the best pop songs of all time. I define a song as dated when it is primarily rooted in the sound of the day it was produced and that paricular sound is played out. Almost to the point where you chuckle. That full-force Max Martin sound from 1999 sounds very dated to me, even if it is a lot of fun. Although... nothing to me sounds more dated than Timbaland's 2000s work.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Britney's by far, but that's not a shock as Britney's music was always more avant-garde than Beyoncé's.

  • Beyonce's music is genuinely awful, among the worst discographies of all major artists this century   Special shoutout to Beyonce and Lemonade, two of the worst albums of all time. 

  • Bey's best music is from her first 3 albums so yk the answer. also not someone using "britney" and "avant-garde" in the same sentence tho Im still cackling

42 minutes ago, Eternium said:

Britney gave us Max Martin, Bloodshy & Avant and the origins of hyperpop and PC Music. I was a Beyonce stan until 2009, but she was never about being ahead of musical trends except when she got Rich Harrison on the line (Crazy In Love). Most of her music was heavily inspired by the trends of the time (Beautiful Liar, Irreplaceable, Halo, Single Ladies, etc.).

Britney doesn't playlist many non-singles, but she has the most streamed non-single of the 2000s, does she not?

 

My Only Wish (This Year) - 326M (+49,271)

 

This random B-side from an unofficial compilation is so popular that her label eventually made it a promo single on its 20th anniversary and it's still performing amazingly-well for a song from 2000.  The 22nd most streamed song from that year is only at 519M.

I see this on the opposite end. A lot of Beyoncé's instrumentals were so generic that that's what keeps them feeling like works I don't want to explore in 2024. If it wasn't for her amazing voice, I don't think I would have liked most of her music. 

Not a Xmas single :deadbanana2: her highest from an album is like 30 million. 

I stan Britney and love her so much but Bey's music has aged better for the most part.

It's Beyoncé, her rnb/pop fusion is harder to get dated than most of Britney material. Britney's most timeless production are in two (2) alberms: ITZ and Blackout. Everything else is either dated, corny or borderline generic. Oops! singels for example, Beyoncé has never released a string of sings that are SO dated like that.

Edited by TipToe

Beyoncé by far 

 

even the gift is better produced than trash like Glory and Britney Jean lmao 

Beyonce's music is genuinely awful, among the worst discographies of all major artists this century

 

Special shoutout to Beyonce and Lemonade, two of the worst albums of all time. 

Edited by Love4Janet

i enjoyed britney during my life more BUT i will admit i think beyonce music is aging better

 

britneys is really reflection of time, like you cant play baby one more time rn and bop, but can i bop to bills bills bills yesssss

52 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Not a Xmas single :deadbanana2: her highest from an album is like 30 million. 

It's not a Christmas single. It's a random B-side that wasn't promoted until it got so popular that her label released it as a promo single on its 20th anniversary. We're still waiting for it to be serviced as a Christmas single almost 24 years after release.

1 hour ago, The7thStranger said:

I see why we're coming at this from two different angles. Because I would never call BOMT timeless, even if it is one of the best pop songs of all time. I define a song as dated when it is primarily rooted in the sound of the day it was produced and that paricular sound is played out. Almost to the point where you chuckle. That full-force Max Martin sound from 1999 sounds very dated to me, even if it is a lot of fun. Although... nothing to me sounds more dated than Timbaland's 2000s work.

I think the issue with that is that you then let the quality of the music of songs be defined as the trend of what's currently hot at the moment. It would be like calling …Baby One More Time or Crazy In Love dated in 2014 because they didn't sound like the popular sound of that current year (defined by truly awful music like Blurred Lines and Happy). Music can both define its time period and still be timeless (see: Time After Time or Rumors).

35 minutes ago, Shinning said:

Beyoncé has an iconic discography. Britney not so much.

Spotify (11/1 Update):

Toxic - 1,861,115

 

Crazy In Love (Beyoncé's Top Song) - 1,105,734

 

Obviously Beyoncé's discography is iconic, but to downplay Britney's iconography when Toxic is outstreaming almost all of your fave's singles of the streaming era combined 20 years after its release is just ignorant. You can say you prefer one artist without being delusional and trying to downplay another. Both of these women are legends with iconic discographies.

1 hour ago, CBC said:

ok now i understand better what you mean, I would use the word "trend-setter" then instead of avant-garde. I also agree with all you said about Bey. She's always been a trend-chaser, still is to this day lol. With that being said I still think Bey's music holds better because she always had good albums while Britney was more about big singles

Honestly, I feel the exact opposite. I can still bop to Britney's album tracks, but outside of the B'Day album, I only listen to maybe one or two non-singles per album. That might not be a fair distinction, though, because Beyoncé's always been way better about releasing a ton of singles per era whereas Britney's label was cheap as hell and would cap out at 4 (before going down to 3 and then 2). 
 

This thread has inspired me to go and stream B'Day, though. "Amor Gitano," here I come :gaycat5:

 

britney's highs are just too high, they little modern masterpieces

 

beyonce's discography is more linear and consistent tho

beyoncé‬ wins easily :nicole2:

britney's first 3 albums are not good at all and that alone gives bey the edge

1 hour ago, The7thStranger said:

I see why we're coming at this from two different angles. Because I would never call BOMT timeless, even if it is one of the best pop songs of all time. I define a song as dated when it is primarily rooted in the sound of the day it was produced and that paricular sound is played out. Almost to the point where you chuckle. That full-force Max Martin sound from 1999 sounds very dated to me, even if it is a lot of fun. Although... nothing to me sounds more dated than Timbaland's 2000s work.

By this standard, timeless music didn't exist before the 00s since even unproduced live recordings of classical music faced technical limitations that force them into sounding "of an era".:rip:

 

 

ot: other than B'Day, none of Beyonce's truly spectacular work is old enough to have "aged" like Britney's. ST is barely 11 and was forward thinking enough to have its scraps used on albums 5 years later, so that sound is SIX years out of date at most. :rip:

Edited by Sheep

8 minutes ago, Sheep said:

By this standard, timeless music didn't exist before the 00s since even unproduced live recordings of classical music faced technical limitations that force them into sounding "of an era".:rip:

 

 

ot: other than B'Day, none of Beyonce's truly spectacular work is old enough to have "aged" like Britney's. ST is barely 11 and was forward thinking enough to have its scraps used on albums 5 years later, so that sound is SIX years out of date at most. :rip:

22 minutes ago, Eternium said:

I think the issue with that is that you then let the quality of the music of songs be defined as the trend of what's currently hot at the moment. It would be like calling …Baby One More Time or Crazy In Love dated in 2014 because they didn't sound like the popular sound of that current year (defined by truly awful music like Blurred Lines and Happy). Music can both define its time period and still be timeless (see: Time After Time or Rumors).

Not saying it's an exact science. It's more of a feeling. Baby One More Time feels dated to me whereas Björk's Bachelorette, for example, does not. Whereas the former is defined by then-current trends, the latter isn't. I like both songs, though.

Is this because u got dragged because of your Britney comment, OP? :eli:

 

 

 

Anyways, yall always comparing Britney to others

a women whose last album was almost 10 years ago (to someone who has 4 album projects since then)

  • Author
13 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Is this because u got dragged because of your Britney comment, OP? :eli:

 

 

 

Anyways, yall always comparing Britney to others

a women whose last album was almost 10 years ago (to someone who has 4 album projects since then)

Elaborate

 

Also it's AtRL, comparing pop stars is what we do 🤣 

Edited by ericcartman

I like both but I always go back to Britney's and like I'm not even into pop culture during their heydays lol. 

 

 

B'Day, IASF gave us immaculate singles tho ( Sweet Dreams, Deja Vu, Irreplaceable ) 

This question should be illegal they both have flawless discographies aside from the Myah Jean tribute album. I snuck Naughty Girl onto a playlist last night at a party and it went off. 
 

 

Beyonce by far.

 

Britney had like two experimental albums and then reverted back to her same old same old with Femme Fatale and on.

 

Ever since then it's been nothing but garbage.

On 11/3/2024 at 1:59 AM, Donquizote said:

Judging by Beyonce's horrible streaming stats, Britney easily :suburban:

 

On 11/3/2024 at 1:35 AM, Beamon said:

People still listen to Britney so I'mma go with Britney :bird:

Daily spotify streams (November 8):

 

Bey excluding DC - 11.9m (27.8b total)

Britney - 6.9m (11.7b total)

 

Most streamed albums daily:

IASF - 2.5m (4b total)

In the Zone - 1.18m (1.8b total)

 

Britney is a legend but Beyonce is doing way better on streaming objectively.

 

8 minutes ago, SoundsandSongs said:

 

Daily spotify streams (November 8):

 

Bey excluding DC - 11.9m (27.8b total)

Britney - 6.9m (11.7b total)

 

Most streamed albums daily:

IASF - 2.5m (4b total)

In the Zone - 1.18m (1.8b total)

 

Britney is a legend but Beyonce is doing way better on streaming objectively.

 

they're doing basically the same streaming-wise,

...except Britney is retired (last studio album released 8 years ago) and Beyonce dropped a 27 tracks album this year with a #1 single

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-11-09-a-14-29-07.p

kinda embarrassing for collabeyoncé  :bird:

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.