Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

just finished the album and damn how is this your third album and your music is still faceless??? I swear this album could've been sung by ANY khia European female singer :suburban:

 

There are cute moments here and there but if the music feels like it's a reductive version of euro dance one hit wonders, you know you're in trouble

ItuKx0m.gif

Edited by Ms. Togekiss

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 840.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

Wait, the beginning of María...

 

I hear your heartbeat to the beat of the drums...oh, what a shame. :ghostface:

Edited by Roberto

3 minutes ago, Rotunda said:

I think you can tell Dua was trying very hard on Future Nostalgia. She tried very hard to improve her stage presence, she tried very hard to make unforgettable pop bangers, she tried to show she can make a political statement with BWBB. Even the album title/title track is clearly aspirational - she wanted to make a future classic. 
 

In contrast, I think this album is Dua trying to seem as effortless as possible. The singles are less punchy and a bit more subdued, the aesthetic is more muted, everything's just a lot calmer…and almost too much so.

 

I feel like this album is full of songs that would be cute if you heard them on a tv show or in a movie, but they don't demand your attention on their own. It's an album full of 4th single/hidden gem candidates and short on lead single candidates. 

 

 

I agree, you can see it in everything this era. She/her dad have this 'been there done that' attitude of doing the big pop album but… that was only one album babes, you need more of those in your arsenal 

Lordini 

These Grammys

Topping Season

Whatcha Slaying

End of Flop Era

Critically Acclaimed Forever

Cunty For You

Mariah

- - - - 

Brexit

Joanne Track 6

Anything To Tank

 

 

 

1 minute ago, Cain said:

I agree, you can see it in everything this era. She/her dad have this 'been there done that' attitude of doing the big pop album but… that was only one album babes, you need more of those in your arsenal 

I dont know much about Dua but I do know that her dad is now her manager or whatever. Is he to blame for this shift? It really feels like she didnt try on this album. It honestly doesn't even feel like she was involved, she sounds so uninspired. What changed between now and the FN era? New producers, new label, new team?

Happy For You is a career highlight… i am IN LOVE with it… the other songs are cute but this eats up everything 

2 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

 

the production is good but the lyrics are giving third grade poem oh my god

ItuKx0m.gif

It still works as a whole idk what to tell you

 

:suburban:

Future Nostalgia had 3 songs on TTHs, 2 in the top 10 vs RO only 2 and none of them in the top 10. 

:duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck::duck:

this moderate pessimism is so tired. :shakeno:

 

love the album 

I was smiling throughout listening for the first time :fan:

Anything For Keeping Ian Kirkpatrick Away From Her should have not made the cut. 

2 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

I dont know much about Dua but I do know that her dad is now her manager or whatever. Is he to blame for this shift? It really feels like she didnt try on this album. It honestly doesn't even feel like she was involved, she sounds so uninspired. What changed between now and the FN era? New producers, new label, new team?

Yeah she fired her last management and took in her dad as management, she owns all her masters and she started a label imprint. This all to say that she owns all of her ventures now and it's basically a family business now

 

I don't think that has anything to do with the music (the music is still good) but it definitely does when it comes to marketing and strategy, that's where her last manager was way better

Radical Feminism delivered, idk what to tell you. Crisis averted 

 

spacer.png

The album as a whole is alright, not irredeemably bad or anything but a bit boring overall. I was hoping for something a little more exciting/new from her as a casual fan. Houdini was kinda the best part of the entire album release. I really appreciate that it's a succinct 11 track album though!!! I'm so annoyed by these 25-30 track releases from pop girls lately. 6.5/10 :bird:

idk what some of y'all are hearing but the production on the album is simply immaculate, like these beats are BEATING

 

ItuKx0m.gif

2 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

Why do I feel like 6 months from now the album will be clicking with many of you

tumblr_o4engvzZph1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

they told us Houdini and training season would be smashes in 6 months but we are still waiting

ItuKx0m.gif

 

thats what she gets for releasing bad singles, these walls stomps on all three singles I fear

ItuKx0m.gif

9 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

just finished the album and damn how is this your third album and your music is still faceless??? I swear this album could've been sung by ANY khia European female singer :suburban:

 

There are cute moments here and there but if the music feels like it's a reductive version of euro dance one hit wonders, you know you're in trouble

ItuKx0m.gif

*****

 ItuKx0m.gif

I genuinely think what happened to Dua this era is similar to what happened to Olivia. Future Nostalgia and SOUR were such huge eras that maybe they got either complacent or unsure of how far to push the envelope for the next era. I'm not saying they put less effort into making the music but they didn't really evolve. I think they thought it'd be easier to keep the GP in a chokehold doing similar things to what worked so well before

YOU'RE CLOUDING MY DECISIONS

GOT ME HEADING FOR COLLISION

WHATCHA DOING TO ME BABEH

OH WHATCHA DOING TO ME

 

ItuKx0m.gif

 

oooooh ooh oooh

tellmewhatchadoingtome

ItuKx0m.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Dylangaga said:

Falling Forever is serving Perfect Illusion without the vocal range:giraffe:

Gurl, I love Gaga to death but the only similar song to Atrocious Illusion is that Nick Jonas rip-off released months after that. 

 

 

Falling Forever remains unbothered, I fear.

Only Happy For You and Anything For Love don't fully do it for me, but both are much better than GIB/BWB

 

Whatcha Doing is a huge grower :jonny3:

 

I can understand there aren't songs as punchy as FN's but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing because this album shaved off more stinkers than FN had. But nothing is touching the epic feeling of DSN/Levitating/Physical etc

 

But a handful of these songs are easily top 10 in her discography and Houdini is her 2nd best song ever so let's celebrate that :gayriahcat2:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.