Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 841.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

Honestly feeling really bad for anyone who can't hear the brilliance in this album, sooo much more interestingly produced, melodically nuanced and lyrically mature than the previous one. I absolutely do agree with the sentiment that she won't be getting a big bad #1 this era, but genuinely good music rarely spawns such success, so...

 

that said, French Exit is my least favourite of the album, while Houdini, EOAE, HFY, TW, FF are my favourites for sure. The massive attack influence is nowhere to be seen, but there for sure are smidges of psychedelia and britpop

Edited by sneakyishere

Falling Forever was my fav and it aged for me on second listen? What's happening 

 

Maria is also giving a big skip?

 

And singles are giving they were the best songs?

 

This album is a let down for me *as of now* i am disappointed omg 

 

:chick3:

MA REE YUH!!!!

 

EOAE is such an unexpected album opener tbh I like it and am positive it will grow on me, but easily her worst opener - no question 

 

TW is such a damn bop I can't 

 

WD is almost like style in the verses, not literally in sound, but in vibe? Idk how to explain it - so good though. The bass is awesome

 

FE a great breather - not a standout but far from filler. This is the first time I'm thinking "we need the extended version!"

 

FF I died. This could have used an amazing key change tbh if she really wanted to make a gay anthem

 

AFL is so good, that drop I Love! So sad it's so short but it still works as a track 

 

Maria whew

 

HFY so good too, it does make me emotional - her best closer by far (not that that was going to be hard to beat)

 

-----

 

All in all, her melody game is ON POINT - she and crew really did THAT! Production is very good (and anyone saying any more than two songs max are "FN 2.0" are just gonna expose themselves as morons lol). 

 

I wish she'd put more thought into harmonies, adlibs, additional vocals that could further add to the songs. 

 

I wish H and TS had more influenced the sound of the album tbh, I like it all but loved that direction kore than the happy, light vibes throughout. Maybe more on a deluxe later?

 

This album is so warm - perfect summer listening tbqh. It certainly won't top FN if we're honest, not that it isn't better in some ways - just that that came during a really special and unique time and I can't see a "normal release" like RO taking its place for that reason. Buuuut I am so excited to continue listening. Anyone who says this isn't a veeeery solid pop album is just delusional 

Pop fans not liking when a pop star serves pop music is something that needs to be studied the **** some of you talking about

Edited by Gladiator

HOW LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG :jonny5:

This as an album as a whole is better than FN, but the hits were clearer on FN which isn't exactly a bad thing.

So i heard the album and well… it's great… for the most part, but nowhere near as consistent as Future Nostalgia or Debut. 
 

Falling Forever, Anything For Love, Happy For You, Maria, Illusion & These Walls are is the highlights. Although AFL being that short is a crime. :dancehall3:

Watcha Doing is good, although it didn't deserve the hype. "It's RO's Levitating" was a HUGE LIE. 
French Exit is boring

Falling Forever & Anything For Love are incredible. Can't wait to hear them live on tour. And the production is top notch (Ian delivered)

End Of An Era is ok

These Walls is also incredible. On repeat :jamming:

Maria is a huge bop. So good :clap3:

Happy For You might be one of Dua's absolute best songs, like wow :worship2:(I need DL4 to be an album full of this sound). If she went all in with singles produced by Danny & Kevin, why didn't she release this as a lead, it's one of the best songs of all time :clap3:

Illusion is still incredible 

Houdini & Training Season remain god awful. The NMP & Good In Bed of Radical Optimism.

 

Just now, ahauntingnearu said:

I wish she'd put more thought into harmonies, adlibs, additional vocals that could further add to the songs. 

You know, I think you hit the nail on the head here: compared to FN the tracks sound a bit... empty? I guess that's the Kevin Parker impact :gaycat7:

2 minutes ago, TayDuaStan said:

Houdini & Training Season remain god awful. The NMP & Good In Bed of Radical Optimism.

keep Houdini out of your mouth omg :toofunny2:

This era was SO mismanaged... 

-TS should have never been released as a single

-Houdini was a good lead but the video was so lazy and boring for a lead single

-watcha doing should have been released as the second single with a bomb video ala espresso

-She should've shut up about psychedelia & experimentation cause the album's theme is nothing like that and just sounded pretentious 

Edited by MaxMartin

Agreeing with everyone else that Maria is an album highlight :jamming:

 

It's kinda Mediterranean? Oh the Eternal Summer Vacations must've inspired her

Edited by AndThenTheCocaine

My current ranking:

Happy For You

Falling Forever

Anything For Love

These Walls

Illusion

Maria

Whatcha Doing

End of An Era

French Exit


 

— Barrier—

— Earth's mantle —

 

Houdini

Training Season

 

 

1 minute ago, sneakyishere said:

Honestly feeling really bad for anyone who can't hear the brilliance in this album, sooo much more interestingly produced, melodically nuanced and lyrically mature than the previous one. I absolutely do agree with the sentiment that she won't be getting a big bad #1 this era, but genuinely good music rarely spawns such success, so...

Yeah, there is so much growth here. Whether or not I like it more than FN (I can't tell yet), I feel like FN is going to sound "immature" after this.

 

I definitely think acknowledgement of the growth from her previous work will get lost in discussions about "but there's no obvious hit" lol especially coming off an album that felt like it was full to the brim with potential hits. I think it's okay though. Dua is still popular, hot, and well liked. I think she can afford to have a "the girls didn't get it, maybe it was ahead of its time" album right now.

Just now, TayDuaStan said:

My current ranking:

Happy For You

Falling Forever

Anything For Love

These Walls

Illusion

Maria

Whatcha Doing

End of An Era

French Exit


 

— Barrier—

— Earth's mantle —

 

Houdini

Training Season

 

 

LOL your hatred for Smashdini and Winning Season needs to be studied. 

Honestly, Future Nostalgia is one of my favorite albums ever so I don't fault this album that much for not "living up" to it.

Edited by AndThenTheCocaine

Ok Maria is kind of serving the 90's vibes she talked about 

As a whole this album actually reminds me more of Debut than Future Nostalgia. 

Anything for Love was a little disappointing, should've at least been developed into a fuller song. It ended right as I was getting into it 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.