Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Lady Gaga

This is part 1 of the Lady Gaga discussion.

Featured Replies

No one wants to read album cohesion discourse dissertations for an album that isn't released yet. 
 

It's time to hang it up. 

  • Replies 457.3k
  • Views 18.8m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topics in this Discussion

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

It's worth remembering that Gaga originally also said that You and I wouldn't be on Born This Way but ultimately ended up changing her mind. Maybe she felt that the album was missing it's love ballad moment and DWAS was perfect to fill that spot considering it's also already a huge smash.

 

8 minutes ago, opbranden said:

My issue is that DWAS began as a Bruno song. He invited her over, and she completed it, making it her own. Meanwhile, LG7's creation was a separate process, which suggests that something may have shifted creatively to make DWAS fit better with the album. (Who knows)

True, but that's also not necessarily unusual. Perfect Illusion for example began as Tame Impala song, several songs on ARTPOP and Chromatica started as DJ tracks that Gaga then wrote to.

Edited by Abracadabra

13 minutes ago, opbranden said:

Some of you seem to intentionally misinterpret what some of us say to create narratives that make you defensive or cupcakey

I think this as well like none of it should be personal at all like we can discuss maturely. I can be really annoying with my takes I get that but i like to think it's coming from a good place. So I never take the debating seriously or come to thrive of negativity. It's all about game talk!

 

I just thought I'd say that :eli:

 

also I agree with the DWAS criticism from a success Stan point of view. Sure urs great for the streams but it wasn't exactly a good sign this song which sounds absolutely nothing like notorious being or abracadabra is now all of a sudden on the album lol 

Edited by Mr. Stratus

5 minutes ago, Abracadabra said:

True, but that's only not necessarily unusual. Perfect Illusion for example began as Tame Impala song, several songs on ARTPOP and Chromatica started as DJ tracks that Gaga then wrote to.

spacer.png

 

ARTPOP is all over the place and, in my opinion, Perfect Illusion is the best song on Joanne but interestingly it doesn't sound like anything else on the album, and I don't think it really fits with the rest of the record.

 

But as I said, I hope people don't interpret my posts as aggressive or negative. I'm just expressing my opinions and I try to be as polite as possible. :monkey:

Edited by opbranden

I wonder when we'll get the release date/title/cover — I hope it's the first week in January. No need to make us wait any longer! 

What do we call DWAS now? Was it a pre-single to Disease? Is it now the lead? When we talk about LG7 singles is it 1. DWAS 2. Disease? That's the only thing that bugs me but regardless I wanted it on the album. I want all her songs to have a home, droplet eras are kinda messy and I love that The Cure is her only droplet. I just wish she didn't say it was separate on Jimmy Kimmel coz otherwise it makes perfect sense to be there since she worked on it while working on the album.

 

I always play Disease and DWAS together and they go together perfectly fine imo. They both have guitars and the little breakdown in DWAS kinda suits Disease and lyrically they are kind of in line? But if DWAS doesn't end up fitting with the rest of the album sonically, with songs like Abracadabra like others have said people said Chromatica was Gaga's most cohseive album for a reason. Dope is sonically jarring even if lyrically it makes sense and theres other examples so this would be nothing new. Shes chaotic and messy and thats why we love her.

Do we think SELVA is still a big part of the era's fashion? Or did Gar end up giving him the boot when he spilled the beans and then blamed it on Tony's ghost which made Tony go all now_why_am_i_in_it_nene_leakes.gif?  

 

:suburban:

Creative process for an album is a myth. Take TFM, many songs happened before she was even famous, Telephone was written for Britney way before the fame monster concept is a thing in her mind. Songs like Sine From Above and Perfect Illusion came from someone else, not original Gaga, I don't see them being harshly judged upon. Happy Mistake was written for Chromatica, but she used it for Harlequin. DWAS was written during the time she was writing for LG7, her mind set was the same when she wrote DWAS (her verse especially). If anything DWAS is close to LG7 than some songs to their albums. DWAS literally shared some same creative people with Disease. Just because you think what LG7 is supposed to be, a full on industrial experimental electronic pop music record start to finish, doesn't make it true, she never said so herself, you just assume it yourself and now you're upset the concept might turn out differently than your imagination.

I would like that concept to happen truth be told, but don't go be upset when your expectations weren't met.

Finally watched her Carpool. She looks again so happy and proud of her music. Christmas Tree... to me that's the sign she's at peace with her demons, such a nice gift for LMs.

She really is so iconic. Look at how she snatched AC/DC.

 

She really is your favourite artist favourite artist.

1 minute ago, Infernal Paradise said:

Do we think SELVA is still a big part of the era's fashion? Or did Gar end up giving him the boot when he spilled the beans and then blamed it on Tony's ghost which made Tony go all now_why_am_i_in_it_nene_leakes.gif?  

 

:suburban:

I think Tony got revenge on him through the same Ouija board he used to leak the "August date". :mandown:

 

But jokes aside, she clearly changed her plans fashion-wise since Nicola wasn't involved during for Disease, and it seems she switched up a bit of the team—though Sarah and Freddy are obviously still there.

 

3 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Creative process for an album is a myth. Take TFM, many songs happened before she was even famous, Telephone was written for Britney way before the fame monster concept is a thing in her mind. Songs like Sine From Above and Perfect Illusion came from someone else, not original Gaga, I don't see them being harshly judged upon. Happy Mistake was written for Chromatica, but she used it for Harlequin. DWAS was written during the time she was writing for LG7, her mind set was the same when she wrote DWAS (her verse especially). If anything DWAS is close to LG7 than some songs to their albums. DWAS literally shared some same creative people with Disease. Just because you think what LG7 is supposed to be, a full on industrial experimental electronic pop music record start to finish, doesn't make it true, she never said so herself, you just assume it yourself and now you're upset the concept might turn out differently than your imagination.

I would like that concept to happen truth be told, but don't go be upset when your expectations weren't met.

That's such a good point. I forgot about Telephone

7 minutes ago, opbranden said:

spacer.png

 

ARTPOP is all over the place and, in my opinion, Perfect Illusion is the best song on Joanne but interestingly it doesn't sound like anything else on the album, and I don't think it really fits with the rest of the record.

 

But as I said, I hope people don't interpret my posts as aggressive or negative. I'm just expressing my opinions and I try to be as polite as possible. :monkey:

ARTPOP was all over the place but from everything we have heard so far, so is LG7.

 

I think we kinda convinced ourselves while she was still making the album that we were going to get some super cohesive album, but ever since Gaga actually started talking about it it's clear that the album is very genre bending and diverse. That's why DWAS's inclusion doesn't concerrn me, to me Gaga's music doesn't have to be cohesive in terms of style, diversity is in her musical DNA and brand as an artist. Ironically, her most cohesive album to date (Chromatica) is the one that earned her the most criticism from fans for the tracks being too similar and produced.

3 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Creative process for an album is a myth. Take TFM, many songs happened before she was even famous, Telephone was written for Britney way before the fame monster concept is a thing in her mind. Songs like Sine From Above and Perfect Illusion came from someone else, not original Gaga, I don't see them being harshly judged upon. Happy Mistake was written for Chromatica, but she used it for Harlequin. DWAS was written during the time she was writing for LG7, her mind set was the same when she wrote DWAS (her verse especially). If anything DWAS is close to LG7 than some songs to their albums. DWAS literally shared some same creative people with Disease. Just because you think what LG7 is supposed to be, a full on industrial experimental electronic pop music record start to finish, doesn't make it true, she never said so herself, you just assume it yourself and now you're upset the concept might turn out differently than your imagination.

I would like that concept to happen truth be told, but don't go be upset when your expectations weren't met.

Spoiler

As I said, I explained myself but you made it about something I never said. I'm not angry, I'm just perplexed and I'm not attacking anyone. I respect your opinion, I simply share another view. LG7 will be great anyway :heart2:

 

Spoiler

I HOPE :suburban:

 

 

57 minutes ago, atemyheartinc said:

We seem to forget that she once included a tropical synth-pop song about masturbation on a soft rock/Americana album about her deceased aunt.

Yes and look at the fan reception to that album. Look at the lukewarm GP reception to that album. :coffee:
 

58 minutes ago, atemyheartinc said:

LG7 is going to be fine, even with 'DWAS' on it.

It will if we stop caring about acclaim this, acclaim that or her having a ROL moment. 
 

On the topic of the ROL comparisons - I love ROL too but it's so odd for any liddo to bring that up given how we've tried to move away from Madge comparisons. Haven't we been trying to advocate for Gaga being in a league of her own and on a path of her own since…forever? 
 

I'm focused on how LG7 will be pop like she's never done before. I don't see the need to cling to ROL standards or fiend over 80+ MC scores. If anything, this focus on these benchmarks lowkey plays into OGH hands :gaycat4:

3 minutes ago, Abracadabra said:

ARTPOP was all over the place but from everything we have heard so far, so is LG7.

 

I think we kinda convinced ourselves while she was still making the album that we were going to get some super cohesive album, but ever since Gaga actually started talking about it it's clear that the album is very genre bending and diverse. That's why DWAS's inclusion doesn't concerrn me, to me Gaga's music doesn't have to be cohesive in terms of style, diversity is in her musical DNA and brand as an artist. Ironically, her most cohesive album to date (Chromatica) is the one that earned her the most criticism from fans for the tracks being too similar and produced.

Agree to disagree. I respect your POV :heart:

I can't wait to see the visuals for LG7, she ate with Disease :jonny5:

 

Still so obsessed with the scene in my avi and how the dominant Gaga is chained and trapped herself. That's so messed up, the symbolism, her mind it amazes me etc :jonny5:

The way I see it. It's the streaming era and most albums need hit singles to be successful, keep their streams up and keep them charting longer, it can also bring more listeners to the album. I think her label saw Disease underperform and DWAS do amazing and realised they could still just put it on the album. Other artists have done this sort of thing, even after release like Dua adding Prisoner to her album even though it was already on Miley's. 

 

I said before that I hope this doesn't mean we won't be getting any more singles because Gaga's last few eras more or less stopped as soon as she got a hit. Hopefully there's still at least one more single to come. If it performs like Disease though then having DWAS on there is really gonna help the album out just like ROM did for Chromatica and Million Reasons did for Joanne. The album will still be the same album she was always gonna release, just with one extra track. 

2 minutes ago, ViviLittleM said:

Die With A Smile is our Never Really Over, get over it.

So LG7 will be our Smile?

spacer.png

  • Popular Post
20 minutes ago, Abracadabra said:

Still so obsessed with the scene in my avi and how the dominant Gaga is chained and trapped herself. That's so messed up, the symbolism, her mind it amazes me etc :jonny5:

Don't know what the exact take is, but as someone who's going through depression I see this scene as an accurate depiction of how it feels: the Gaga on top is the depressive self. Chained, stuck in preventing the lively former self (the one on the floor) to take over. The one with the hat is the observing mind, detached from the conflict between the other two.

 

large.gagaimages_00181.jpg.fc41fdcf59ec3

Edited by Spicy Pisces

with dwas this album may not earn less than 2 million on spotify chtomatica has been finished

27 minutes ago, kudmips7890 said:

Yes and look at the fan reception to that album. Look at the lukewarm GP reception to that album. :coffee:

Yes, it was definitely because of 'Dancin' In Circles' being on the tracklist.

26 minutes ago, opbranden said:

I think Tony got revenge on him through the same Ouija board he used to leak the "August date". :mandown:

 

But jokes aside, she clearly changed her plans fashion-wise since Nicola wasn't involved during for Disease, and it seems she switched up a bit of the team—though Sarah and Freddy are obviously still there.

 

Yeah well I hope they bring him back for the album photoshoot or mag spread even if it's just once. He has such a fresh and futuristic perspective on materials and textures and his style fits Gaga's fashion sensibilities so well. :gaycat6:

 

7 minutes ago, Spicy Pisces said:

Don't know what the exact take is, but as someone who's going through depression I see this scene as an accurate depiction of how it feels: the Gaga on top is the depressive self. Chained, stuck in preventing the lively former self (the one on the floor) to take over. The one with the hat is the observing mind, detached from the conflict between the other two.

 

large.gagaimages_00181.jpg.fc41fdcf59ec3

This is like the best way I've seen it summed up so far. It's a brilliant scene on so many levels. 

 

 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.