• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kishi

• HandsomeGumDrop

• PopThatCorn

• Moth 2 The Flame

1 minute ago, PopThatCorn said:

I think it's because she hasn't been on an actual record label since 2008. She's so far removed from the game and is accustomed to her current lifestyle. Janet has always done things on her own terms. Before, I think a lot of her career decisions were genuis and set her apart (long breaks between albums, unorthodox single choices etc)

Now, her low-key approach in 2022 has been more detrimental to her legacy.

Janet can pretty much record music with whoever she wants, wherever she wants, and not feel the need to release or promote it after the creative itch is scratched. :deadbanana4:

There doesn't seem to be a label type figure in Janet's life actually asking her to release something.  

She could be doing so much to cement her legacy without actually having to put much work in but she chooses not to. Unless she finds herself signing to a major again (Very doubtful) it'll be like this.

2 minutes ago, monologueNacafe said:

Can we start a petition to get Twenty Foreplay on streaming platforms? :biblio:

Janet's team simply does not give a single ****.

Even smash hits like Runaway and The Best Things In Life Are Free (popular radio version is still not available) took eons to be added.

I doubt they care about making Twenty Godplay available sadly. In fact, I bet her useless team doesn't even know it's missing. :rip:

Ultimately, I think it's healthy that Janet has her priorities straight and is focusing on her son and enjoying her life on her own terms after putting the work in for decades. We can see how some of her peers have become sad parodies of themselves out of their desperation to stay relevant and create controversy. 

It sucks as a fan though. At least celebrate your legacy and make sure all of your music, videos and performances are out there in great quality for everyone to enjoy and admire. 

16 hours ago, Aerosol said:

What's the point of Janet Jackson the pop star in 2022?

*sigh* 

I understand her needing a better team and more communication, but a lot of you are a little too harsh and continue to have unrealistic expectations over things you have no control over.

Hope we get the new album and a new team, but until then, try to relax.

13 hours ago, PopThatCorn said:

I think it's because she hasn't been on an actual record label since 2008. She's so far removed from the game and is accustomed to her current lifestyle. Janet has always done things on her own terms. Before, I think a lot of her career decisions were genuis and set her apart (long breaks between albums, unorthodox single choices etc)

Now, her low-key approach in 2022 has been more detrimental to her legacy.

Janet can pretty much record music with whoever she wants, wherever she wants, and not feel the need to release or promote it after the creative itch is scratched. :deadbanana4:

There doesn't seem to be a label type figure in Janet's life actually asking her to release something.  

I think you’re right. Also a lot of the work doesn’t need to be done personally by Janet she just needs a good team making sure she can protect her legacy at least on streaming platforms. 

I never thought I’d be looking back at her 2000’s output and wishing for that again but here I am. Although I am a reformed Danita Jo Stan now, RnB Junkie is such a CLASSIC. If only it got a video!

At least she performs R&B Junkie quite a bit and treats it as a lost classic. Damita Jo deserved so much better.

20 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

At least she performs R&B Junkie quite a bit and treats it as a lost classic. Damita Jo deserved so much better.

It is a masterpiece like the layering in the production and her vocals are so good, it got my boyfriend to Stan. Well… that and Go Deep. Must have been so exciting to be a Stan during the Velvet Rope era!

On 5/31/2022 at 10:35 AM, Aerosol said:

What's the point of Janet Jackson the pop star in 2022?

What is the point of any of the legacy acts in 2022? It's not like Mariah, Madonna etc have been giving us much new material either

Control

Rhythm Nation

Velvet Rope

she was insane my Gawd:wanda:no popstar was doing albums like her

8 minutes ago, NormaniReign said:

Control

Rhythm Nation

Velvet Rope

she was insane my Gawd:wanda:no popstar was doing albums like her

This allahnet. erasure

GIF atrl janet news - animated GIF on GIFER - by Runeraven

1 minute ago, pieceofgök said:

This allahnet. erasure

Shes overrated...I only listen to her for TTWLG,New Agenda and Because of love....the rest, she was just doing anything GIF atrl janet news - animated GIF on GIFER - by Runeraven

15 minutes ago, NormaniReign said:

Shes overrated...I only listen to her for TTWLG,New Agenda and Because of love....the rest, she was just doing anything GIF atrl janet news - animated GIF on GIFER - by Runeraven

Cleanse your ears and listen again

46gI.gif

2 hours ago, pieceofgök said:

What is the point of any of the legacy acts in 2022? It's not like Mariah, Madonna etc have been giving us much new material either

Since Janet's last album in 2015? Both have released studio albums. Who said it was only about new material though? Mariah has done a whole reissue campaign plus the Rarities release. Plus the annual Xmas onslaught. Madonna puts out garbage Frozen remixes every fortnight and is about to embark on a reissue campaign that will actually happen. For all the talk of people ignoring Janet's legacy, she's been the biggest factor in contributing to that by doing **** all. Even when she secures opportunities to do so she does **** like performing Skin Game to a massive crowd at Glastonbury whilst wearing dumpster remnants.

Edited by Aerosol

Janet is not as motivated as Madonna and Mariah, wbk. Try being a Britney stan who publicly brags she was invited to the Met gala and preferred to take a bath with her dog. These women don't owe us anything and they will keep living their lives whether we like it or not.

Also, she doesn't have a label and I don't know if she's interested in hiring a team to curate her legacy for very small returns. Madonna only got her streaming sorted when she signed with Warner and I don't know if Janet is willing to sign with a major if she's not going to release material regularly. She just wants to chill, basically and doesn't give a **** about Gen Z knowing her or whatever.

I love the live arrangements for R&B Junkie. :smitten:

This year I've been listening to the janet. album a lot and she really needs to perform more of that album on tour. The fact she did Where Are You Now and New Agenda in SOTW 2017 was everything.

I used to think Because of God was a bit forgettable but I have to repent cause I seriously can't get enough of it these days. I've also been enjoying Again more than ever too.

Have been so into Feels So Right lately. It's probably the most blissful, 'easy listening' type song I've ever heard. It's just so relaxing and pretty.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:20 PM, Devin said:

Yeah some of y’all putting 20 on 10 here lol.

It feels personal at times. :biblio:

On 5/31/2022 at 10:54 PM, Slap said:

I think you’re right. Also a lot of the work doesn’t need to be done personally by Janet she just needs a good team making sure she can protect her legacy at least on streaming platforms. 

I never thought I’d be looking back at her 2000’s output and wishing for that again but here I am. Although I am a reformed Danita Jo Stan now, RnB Junkie is such a CLASSIC. If only it got a video!

The team needs to expand or be replaced. At this point, I think they know what we want, but are they willing to do it?

I'm proud of your love for Damita Jo. So many have seen the light about this almost classic album! :clap3: :gaynetcat4:

On 6/1/2022 at 4:52 AM, pieceofgök said:

Legacy acts are always relevant. Fans will still stream and support. 

On 6/1/2022 at 6:46 AM, pieceofgök said:

This allahnet. erasure

This is one album that I feel is literally in everyone's top 5.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:47 AM, Aerosol said:

For all the talk of people ignoring Janet's legacy, she's been the biggest factor in contributing to that by doing **** all. Even when she secures opportunities to do so she does **** like performing Skin Game to a massive crowd at Glastonbury whilst wearing dumpster remnants.

You're right. I guess they see her winning awards as legacy restoration, but that's literally not as important as other things being ignored. 

She didn't perform Skin Game at Glastonbury...what she did wrong was not perform any singles from The Velvet Rope. 

On 6/1/2022 at 8:14 AM, Jay07 said:

These women don't owe us anything and they will keep living their lives whether we like it or not.

Also, she doesn't have a label and I don't know if she's interested in hiring a team to curate her legacy for very small returns. 

I don't want her to quit, but her slowing down is inevitable. She's not a current/new mainstream artist and she shouldn't be expected to release music like one. 

The team would benefit from paying and hiring talented stans to do a lot of the legacy curating, but they seem to feel threatened by others shining with work they could be doing.

15 hours ago, PopThatCorn said:

This year I've been listening to the janet. album a lot and she really needs to perform more of that album on tour. The fact she did Where Are You Now and New Agenda in SOTW 2017 was everything.

I used to think Because of God was a bit forgettable but I have to repent cause I seriously can't get enough of it these days. I've also been enjoying Again more than ever too.

Which album tracks would you like to see? 

She always does like 4-5 singles and Throb.

Because Of Love hasn't been performed since 1994 and that's wrong.

14 hours ago, Daydream said:

Have been so into Feels So Right lately. It's probably the most blissful, 'easy listening' type song I've ever heard. It's just so relaxing and pretty.

The background vocals get me every time.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:55 AM, Moth 2 The Flame said:

More like try 2026 when Janet is 60 years old to commemorate her true music career debut :lmao:

Here for her 60Y.O. era

Music Video Smile GIF by Janet Jackson

I wish I was born 30 years earlier so I could have lived through the Rhythm Nation era.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, Slap said:

Here for her 60Y.O. era

Music Video Smile GIF by Janet Jackson

:rip:

On 6/2/2022 at 12:31 PM, Daydream said:

I wish I was born 30 years earlier so I could have lived through the Rhythm Nation era.

I was only 1 when the album released and my father took me to the UK shows at 2 and of course I remember NOTHING! :cries: But that album was always played in my house...we still have the VHS video collection and CD. Just purchased the vinyl. We had the tour hat, but now all I have are pictures of me wearing it.

Just watched Janets BET tribute again....damm they butchered it:rip::rip::deadbanana4:

Jason Derulo...boy what was you doing:deadbanana4:

Edited by NormaniReign

31 minutes ago, NormaniReign said:

Just watched Janets BET tribute again....damm they butchered it:rip::rip::deadbanana4:

⬆️ in my mind this is how Janet really felt

1 hour ago, NormaniReign said:

Really? I thought it was pretty good. My only wish was that they actually pre-recorded their own versions of the songs and "sung" along while killing the dance routines. And they all killed the routines IMO.

If anything, Janet herself fumbled the promotional bag by not performing right after them. That whole "dance' tribute seemed more to do with how little involvement she herself was giving to the segment...despite having a tour to promote. If I recall, she didn't even meet them after it. I'm a stan, but was like WTF. It was during that weird lil window where she was being hella reclusive and half-stepping her "comeback". 

Glad that she's done a 180 and is uber embracing the new generation. Hopefully she continues to do so in her new music too....whenever it drops. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.