Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

NME exposes Sabrina's autoplay

Featured Replies

"Spotify user Harlie, who gravitates towards "sad music and songwriter types like Lana Del Rey and Gracie Abrams" explains she'd never listened to 'Espresso' but is also consistently being served it as her next track..." :duck:

"I'm playing a hip-hop/rnb radio: Kendrick Lamar, Tinashe, Doechii, SXA," one person writes. "And then suddenly…Espresso by Sabrina Carpenter. I love the song but that's not the vibe of the Spotify radio I'm going for????" :duck:


"we need to take into account that Carpenter's label, Universal Music owns shares in Spotify, as does the company Tencent, which then in turn owns shares in Universal Music, while Spotify itself owns shares in Tencent"  :duck:
 

 

Edited by Papi Juancho

  • Replies 117
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Kylie Jenner
    Kylie Jenner

    Ooh pretty blonde girl let's all hate on her

  • MonsterNavy
    MonsterNavy

    what i've been saying but apparently i'm just a bitter aging ghey

  • State of Grace.
    State of Grace.

    Sabrina is undeniably an IT girl right now, seeing how she's also smashing on Apple Music and her social media engagement has skyrocketed these last couple of months. Nonsense was a shameless use of t

  • Popular Post

Sabrina is undeniably an IT girl right now, seeing how she's also smashing on Apple Music and her social media engagement has skyrocketed these last couple of months. Nonsense was a shameless use of this feature, but you can't autoplay all of that. Please x3, Espresso, and Feather are all viral smashes.

 

BUT with that being said, yeah Spotify & labels need to chill a bit with this feature tbh. Espresso and Birds of a Feather are literally terrorizing me after every. single. song/album. that I play. :deadvision: Sure, I love both songs and I do listen to similar music but it's getting a bit ridiculous. The other day I was also using my brother's account in the car and Birds randomly started playing and he doesn't even **** with Billie or any MPG music. :dies: 

Edited by State of Grace.

  • Popular Post

what i've been saying but apparently i'm just a bitter aging ghey :toofunny2:

  • Popular Post

It's very obvious when songs get heavy push from autoplay (and when they're removed from it) even if they're genuine hits. Their stans will still downvote you and call you bitter though

  • Popular Post

I thought Dua's Spotify payola was bad but hers is far worse. Espresso plays after every single song and Please x3  is constantly on the Daily Mix playlists Spotify tends to curate for me when I've played it like once on the day it came out. I don't even want to block her because I use some tracks from some of her old albums sometimes but damn :deadbanana2:

I suspect my theories will be confirmed further when the album comes out and the album tracks don't receive enough attention relative to the singles. I get you have to play the game or die in this industry but sheesh

I see a lot of love and praise for her online and a lot of my friends love her so I don't think it's all fabricated

Sabrina really needs to secure a fanbase real quick during her rise right now. Otherwise she would end up like Dua.

Quote

 

Anderton also says we need to take into account that Carpenter's label, Universal Music owns shares in Spotify, as does the company Tencent, which then in turn owns shares in Universal Music, while Spotify itself owns shares in Tencent. Are you keeping up? "These major corporations are therefore linked to each other financially in various ways, while Spotify is reliant on the major labels in particular for access to the catalogues of music that are driving its growth. It needs to play to their tune," he explains.

 

Interesting. Always thought this was stan myth but I guess labels do get involved.

It is not something that happens only with her, but with all the artists of the moment. The truth is that today's hits are so manipulated/bought, that they no longer feel like real hits. But, of course, there are exceptions. Organic hits. But they are not many in comparison. 

  • Popular Post

It's not just Sabrina... We are simply in the era of autoplay now, every major hit is being pushed heavily using this feature (for MPGs this year I've had Fortnight, WCBF, Texas Hold 'Em, and recently Espresso and BOAF).

 

It doesn't mean their success is fabricated. Actually it seems like the bigger the hit, the more push it gets from Spotify. In a month or so, the next big smash will be released & everyone will complain about that song being spammed on autoplay too :michael:

I like Espresso and think Sabrina is genuinely talented but it's not super unique or pushing any boundaries, not that it even has to. It's just obvious she's hitting big now because of the eras tour, her relationship, and HEAVY label support. Yes the auto play but also the big PR campaign she had releasing the single. They got that "song of the summer" title quickly for her. No hate to her though because I approve playing the game to get your foot in and hopefully sustain success. 
 

Comparing this to Tinashe's Nasty blowing up without major label support, it makes that success look even more impressive. 

Edited by Paultea

  • Author
7 minutes ago, Billionaire said:

I suspect my theories will be confirmed further when the album comes out and the album tracks don't receive enough attention relative to the singles. I get you have to play the game or die in this industry but sheesh

I honestly thought it might be another "Flowers situation", but it seems like her label is investing in her. She will probably have +5 songs from the album on autoplay, like Ari and Billie. :duck:

They forgot the part that EVERYONE on social media is actually talking about Espresso and Please x3. You can't buy social media attention.

Well, it's pretty obvious... for almost a decade she couldn't achieve any kind of success except for Nonsense which also got Spotify autoplay (for like 3 days lmfao) and all of a sudden she manages to get hit after hit out of nowhere? :deadbanana2:

Record companies have always manipulated the charts - in the streaming era they have found new methods like streaming farms and autoplay, SEVEN by that BTS guy was the song that really exposed it for me lmfao.

 

But honestly? I choose to turn a blind eye because she's serving bops and we need a new mpg and she definitely has the whole package :coffee2:

 

Spotify was already fraudulent but it was a little bit of push but now…there are reason why the top  10 is filled with songs pulling +10M streams but if you say it they'll say b-but it's doing great on Apple :deadbanana2: When it's exactly why it's doing great on other platforms. 

My biggest dream is that my fave's label will do autoplay for her next lead single. Like, imagine having a label that invests in you… I'll never understand what's so negative about it

As if any hit song isn't constantly shoved down our throats with $$$ from record labels :biblio:

 

Leave Sabrina alone!!! this is her moment 

1 hour ago, Kylie Jenner said:

Ooh pretty blonde girl let's all hate on her

As they should, and? 

Nasty is 100x bigger on social media and the real world so that should be getting the plays and exposure over this.

22 minutes ago, Loroy said:

But honestly? I choose to turn a blind eye because she's serving bops and we need a new mpg and she definitely has the whole package :coffee2:

 

I like her songs but she's definitely not the whole package yet. She's a bit underwhelming live imo and I haven't liked any performance of Espresso (Coachella, SNL, GovBall) as much as the recording. If anything it just showed me she can't fully perform that song like she recorded it. 

1 hour ago, MonsterNavy said:

what i've been saying but apparently i'm just a bitter aging ghey :toofunny2:

If it was this simple, why isn't your flop faves using it? :deadbanana:

5 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

If it was this simple, why isn't your flop faves using it? :deadbanana:

because they dont care and they're not as desperate to be seen as "huge" like sabrina and her label?

 

all my faves are organic and real main pop girls sabrina cant relate xoxo

Edited by MonsterNavy

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.