Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

Just now, Mark Rih said:

no cause this is exactly what happened to me while listening to TTPD the switch was to Espresso

 

:clack:

 

 

I was just going through your post history to find that Cowboy Carter era post where you said the only music you anticipate anymore is............. this album

 

:clack:

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 839.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

The album flows EVEN better when you replace Illusion and Houdini for their extended versions, wow

 

200.gif

Edited by Virgos Groove

I mean the red flags were already in the song titles in the tracklist. "These Walls", "Anything For Love", "Happy For You", "Maria" sound like the most unoriginal, generic, inoffensive, AI'd song titles possible. She might was well sing about flower vases at this point

 

:clack:

What a GREAT album, I LOVE it a lot at first listen.

 

The 3 singles were the most obvious choices.

 

The only song that felt a little generic to me is These Walls but it is not even bad. Really enjoyed End Of An Era, Watcha Doing and French Exit. Everything is great.

 

:heart2:

13 minutes ago, TSwiftie said:

Is there a new song that is being pushed on playlists?

These Walls 

 

4 minutes ago, Post Malone said:

I mean the red flags were already in the song titles in the tracklist. "These Walls", "Anything For Love", "Happy For You", "Maria" sound like the most unoriginal, generic, inoffensive, AI'd song titles possible. She might was well sing about flower vases at this point

 

:clack:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952tesmhxutf0ne9l8asd

Just now, TayDuaStan said:

These Walls 

 

Ouh, its very catchy so I hope it does something for her

Wrong choice.

 

Not surprised cuz they killed this era with bad single choices.

Edited by halcyonday

Just watch. Whatcha Doing is the Levitating from this album. 

 

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Just watch. Whatcha Doing is the Levitating from this album. 

 

WD is really not all that

9 minutes ago, Post Malone said:

I was just going through your post history to find that Cowboy Carter era post where you said the only music you anticipate anymore is............. this album

 

:clack:

I'm a satisfied customer and will keep streaming this masterpiece until GODbel releases in the fall

 

:clack:

 

actually I will keep a spot for Bullie too

 

:clack:

 

wow Anything for Love has one of the prettiest melodies on the album and yet it's… that f*cking short :rip:

wow Anything for Love has one of the prettiest melodies on the album and yet it's… that f*cking short :rip:

1 minute ago, Cain said:

WD is really not all that

It's easily the catchiest from the new songs. On first listen it sounded like an instant radio hit 

Just now, Cain said:

WD is really not all that

Yeah people are being delusional. Ibthink as fans we have to be honest and admit this is not that strong of a project.

 

She should have gone 180 and bases ot on Houdini at least, it was a missed oportunity to deliver something different, at least you could defend the underperformance with her trying something new, but this is a very mellow, bland and safe project for her

1 minute ago, Post Malone said:

Nothing is really any anything

 

Cain

Don't say that

 

You are a massive *****, so there's that

 

Cain

Im really trying to get into it but this entire album sounds unseasoned and bland :rip: this could've been 100 times better

I'm not really a massive pop listener and my taste in music generally leans more towards rock / singer-writer but I've always enjoyed the odd Dua Lipa song and then I eventually became a fan of hers when she dropped Future Nostalgia, as it was such a cohesive body of work and it had so many upbeat / carefree songs that I felt like everybody in the world needed during that time period.

 

Although I loved Future Nostalgia, I wasn't necessarily excited for any upcoming eras as I was being constantly fed with content from my favourite bands / artists but when I heard she was working with Kevin Parker my interest spiked as I love Tame Impala and I was intrigued to see what type of songs they'd come up with.

 

Houdini and Training Season are currently in my top 10 most played songs of 2024 and I can't really say I'm surprised as I've been hooked on both of them since they dropped and I listen to them at least once a day. They are currently permanent fixtures on my gym playlist. I don't want to bring the tone down, but as some of you may know, I've been going through a difficult time in my personal life recently and these songs have truly been a form of therapy for me as for those few minutes whilst they're playing, I don't feel sad anymore. They really give me a serotonin boost.

 

Now I don't know if it's recency bias, but I currently think that Radical Optimism is a stronger body of work than Future Nostalgia. That isn't to take away from Future Nostalgia, as it's also a great album, but I feel like this current album is more 'me' as it reminds me at times of something you could imagine Paramore releasing, especially during their After Laughter era. I'm also a big fan of albums that cater to different moods as I can see myself playing these songs when I'm happy, sad, or wanting to reminisce. It has an airy and timeless vibe throughout. I could hear Swedish singer-songwriter Léon releasing songs like These Walls and Falling Forever, which is a compliment as Léon has some fantastic songs. If you listen to her songs Falling and You and I, I think you'll understand the comparison I'm drawing. Falling Forever resonated with me a lot as it reminded me of my current relationship. It actually gave me goosebumps.

 

Minus the singles, I'd say that the standout tracks are These Walls, French Exit, Falling Forever and Happy For You. Regarding Happy For You, not only is it her strongest album closer thus far, it's also my favourite song she's ever released. I believe some artists have good / great songs and then they have songs that become instant-classics and that's exactly what this song feels like to me. I'm not sure how many albums Dua will release over the span of her career, but I can say with confidence that Happy For You will always be a discography highlight. It's that strong.

 

My only gripe is with the track Anything For Love, because its length makes it feel like a wasted opportunity. Just as it's really starting to pick up, it ends. It would have definitely benefited from being another 1/2 minutes longer and I'm not sure what the thought process was when making that song. It feels like it has too much 'meat' for it to be considered an interlude but not enough for it to stand out amongst the rest of the track list. If it was used as the opening track, I might not have as much of a problem with it, but its placement feels completely random.

 

Overall, this was a strong body of work and it's got me itching to replay it. I had a feeling I was going to enjoy it judging from the first two singles and album artwork, but I didn't expect it to pull me in as much as it did. I've just gone ahead and purchased it on vinyl.

 

9/10

this album is so boring. no personality AT ALL. Pop fillers

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.