Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Pitchfork: ARTPOP - 7.3

Featured Replies

  • Replies 217
  • Views 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way they dont even want to give any of her album over 8. Pretentious mess they are.

Joanne with the lowest score just like it deserves. :clap3:

 

I think Chromatica is better than Artpop and I'd probably put artpop at like a 7 but it's nice that we are past trashing it. Born This Way and TFM deserve above 8 though. Her best work. :alexz3:

59 minutes ago, Sombre said:

Excuse me? Artpop is not as good as Chromatica (though IMO Chromatica does deserve a score in the 8's). :deadbanana2: Slay at BTW being at 7.9 though. 

??? I think ARTPOP is milesssss above Chromatica. The lyrics on Chromatica are very surface-level imo, some of her worst. 

Her music remains a bit underrated by critics, but I’m glad that the poptimism that was ushered in in part by the success of The Fame Monster is finally benefiting Gaga herself. 

4 minutes ago, CottageHore said:

??? I think ARTPOP is milesssss above Chromatica. The lyrics on Chromatica are very surface-level imo, some of her worst. 

in what world are ROM, 911 and Replay surface-level? :skull:

10 minutes ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

Joanne with the lowest score just like it deserves. :clap3:

mte :fan:

 

I think it’s ok. In 2013-2014 I really enjoyed this album but now it sounds a bit dated to me :cm: maybe in the future I will think the same about Chromatica.

 

Of course, I still enjoy BTW and TFM like the first time. :clap3:

11 minutes ago, CottageHore said:

??? I think ARTPOP is milesssss above Chromatica. The lyrics on Chromatica are very surface-level imo, some of her worst. 

This early on Sunday you wanna sin and lie? The lyrics on both albums are surface level, but that's just how Gaga writes her music. She always explicitly says what she means, but there are some songs on Chroma where she's more vague than usual (ROM for instance where it could be interpreted in multiple ways).

 

Regardless, Chromatica overall (imo) is a much better album. It does have it's downs (like Plastic Doll and Fun Tonight), but nothing as putrid and revolting as Donatella. :skull: Artpop feels very rushed, themeless and incoherent whereas Chroma is coherent and produced beautifully. 

GUY and RoM Gaga’s best dance songs? They on crack :monkey:

Also SCREAMING at "G.U.Y." being 'her best ever dance song' are they ******* high ?

ATRL is really out of reality. ARTPOP is a masterpiece and y'all will deal. :rip::smitten:

Yes artpop was underrated but not so underrated that it’s better than ASIB or Chromatica :rip: Swine and jewels and drugs alone should knock it 4 points from 10 :rip:

A retrospective 7.3 for an album with an intentional R. Kelly feature, and a song title that’s a slur is wild. 

 

 

I will say, the things Artpop got right it really got right, and there are a few tracks I still regularly revisit, but there are a few too many missteps to redeem the album as a whole. 

That album literally has two listenable songs :skull: tragic review

15 minutes ago, Sombre said:

This early on Sunday you wanna sin and lie? The lyrics on both albums are surface level, but that's just how Gaga writes her music. She always explicitly says what she means, but there are some songs on Chroma where she's more vague than usual (ROM for instance where it could be interpreted in multiple ways).

 

Regardless, Chromatica overall (imo) is a much better album. It does have it's downs (like Plastic Doll and Fun Tonight), but nothing as putrid and revolting as Donatella. :skull: Artpop feels very rushed, themeless and incoherent whereas Chroma is coherent and produced beautifully. 

I would say there’s an esotericism (and eccentricity) to some parts of BTW and Artpop that are wholly absent from Chromatica. 
 

Like, the lead for Artpop has a reference to Jeff Koons - and I doubt most people who heard the song know who that is

 

 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.