Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
The New Releases 💿

Why was Windows Phone such a flop?

Featured Replies

Almost 15 years have passed since the release of the Windows Phone and it ended up being a colossal flop. Why did the GP say no to a phone like that? Discuss :coffee:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa_59ngPm3aR50qxESC17

 

Edited by BrokenMachine

windows as an OS doesn't really have many positive connotations to it.. it's not very fluid, horrible at searching, janky, clunky, slow, annoying.. so there's that. and then when i look at those photos in OP of the Home Screen i just get sensory overload. like where the **** am i meant to press?

Bad hardware, lack of app support, iOS and Android already dominating the market, etc.

It was because of the lack of apps in the store. The phone and the UI were good, but it was too late for Microsoft, because Android and iOS were already big in the business.

Very few quality apps (and that is being generous), lack of phone options from different manufacturers, and a very *different* approach to UI design that most consumers find unintuitive and confusing.  
 

I was lowkey a fan of the Windows phones with incredibly large camera sensors (idk if Nokia or HTC made them), and Windows Phone did have some cool UI elements that influenced modern iOS and Android designs.

ugly design, no games and not even a playstore I think. Wouldve done better with Android system

Going from the Sidekick to one of these, I found it to be very boring; and one of the main social platforms I used at the time (AIM) was not available on there. There were a lack of apps in general. 

You could ask the same thing about the Zune, Xbox, Surface, and the list goes on. They have struggled as a hardware company. :giraffe:

Because people were already fighting about blue text vs green text.  Can you imagine if Windows came into the mix with their red text? People would lose their minds :sabrina:

This was my phone in 2015, I did liked the hardware and it was quite usable, but it was a nightmare to get all the apps and the customer support was terrible, I switched back to iPhone in 2016 

Great phone. Simplistic GP. Lack of apps supported. I believe if they launched now it would do much better. 

 

Microsoft has made many great hardware products. I think they've found their stride with Surface and Xbox as those are all they need. They make so much money in software and cloud. 

iOS and Android were already dominating the market and the lack of apps and support for Windows phone set it up for failure.

I had one of these. It was nice, the camera quality was phenomenal. But it was HELL trying to get certain apps. I remember Snapchat not being on their App Store "officially" but through a third-party app. Annoying.

 

Got rid of it and got an iPhone.

I think the lack of app support and late enter into the mobile market kinda made it dead on arrival

I had one and it really was a big fat flop and most apps wouldn't even work on them. But I lowkey liked the design :dies:

It was extremely hard to develop apps on it which resulted lack of app support in their app store and I think that's why it failed. Loved having this as a phone though. :'(

I had a Windows Phone and I found it quite interesting, I liked its UI and how it worked but it's true that the problem with the apps was very annoying. 

 

Apps like YouTube or Snapchat were not available and I remember myself using other cheap apps.

 

I want to keep my phone but my mom got mad with me and she threw it into the water of the bath in 2017. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.