Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

K-Pop Thread 2025

Featured Replies

9 minutes ago, Blueberry Kisses said:

Wait a minute, literally speak for yourself :deadbanana2: It's a perfectly fine song with a more accessible sound than IVE's and better vocals (I do not blame the American public for not being interested in what sounds like children's attempts to sing a nursery rhyme) that is, in fact, sung by - and I realize this might be a shock - actual Asian women! From an IP which was worked on by a higher-than-average number of Asian artists! None of whom, I think it's safe to assume, are children who dropped out of school to participate only to rack up thousands in debt and not get paid. So music aside, in terms of ethics of consumption the movie definitely > k-pop, not that that was even a conversation.

 

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth and I too want (some) k-pop girl groups to get international attention but you sure seem to be implying that there's a problem when Asian people who aren't idols are successful. Like, why do you feel like this is taking something away from k-pop girl groups? It's literally the same people working on this project. The lead singers in the movie are literally writers for some of the biggest k-pop groups. The only difference between this and a physical k-pop group is that no teenagers had to starve themselves or get their bones sawed down. Literally a complete net positive for everyone :emofish:

What I mean is that it's the animation removes the barrier created by the physical body and appearance of an Asian person. I think you're misinterpreting me with the idol stuff. Could the writers, producers, and vocalists of K-pop demon hunters have achieved the same success with the same song had they released it themselves and starred in their own music video? Consider that Golden is one of the only ever billboard top 10 hits by an east Asian female. That's insane to me.  It's a taboo and messy topic and I get your gut reaction to my bitterness, but I do get grumpy about the barriers facing people of East Asian appearance especially in US music industry. You're right that it's a net positive and I should check myself on that, but much like Rose only succeeding with the qualifier of Bruno Mars, can't we just have a bonafide hit from an East Asian female artist? Is that too much to ask for?

  • Replies 47.3k
  • Views 1.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Sailor Moon
    Sailor Moon

    nnn the popup message nnn.. thought i was getting banned for a sec 

  • I'm going to eat the spaghetti today while reading all the meltdowns. I'm still not going to stream Spaghetti though but I will choose to stream this instead     After all the

  • aespa didn't chart but guess what, we're STILL not streaming Stray Kids  

19 minutes ago, Blueberry Kisses said:

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth and I too want (some) k-pop girl groups to get international attention but you sure seem to be implying that there's a problem when Asian people who aren't idols are successful. Like, why do you feel like this is taking something away from k-pop girl groups? It's literally the same people working on this project. The lead singers in the movie are literally writers for some of the biggest k-pop groups. The only difference between this and a physical k-pop group is that no teenagers had to starve themselves or get their bones sawed down. Literally a complete net positive for everyone :emofish:

Errr I think the point they were making was although the girls behind the song are getting "success" at the end of the day the faces behind the song are animated characters and no one streaming these songs outside Korea are going to know (or care) who the actual artists are behind these characters. That begs the question would the song still be huge if it was faces of the actual girls singing it and not animated characters? Guess we'll let you ponder on that.

 

Lmk if I was close @Harrier

 

:clack:

Golden sucks and this is coming from someone who can bop to almost any Kpop girlgroup song. I hate musical theatre voices

Billboard this, Billboard that. But Domestically it's Still GG 🤭

 

Golden vs I Am debate here :rip:

 

Ava Max unnie her impact.:clap3:

 

Stream this masterpiece

 

 

 

Oh KARINA for NIKE :jonnycat:

non-Koreans here yap so much and attempted to cancel her for the Korea election controversy, only for Karina to get even more brand deals :clap3:

the K in Karina means KARMA

Predicting Wonhwayeon's red hair is not going to survive the duration of this promo.

 

 

:cm:

Agree that Golden is just not that good.

 

I actually don't have a problem with any kind of group / concept smashing given that the music is good. But then we have to remind ourselves that Let it Go was also a hit lol. 

1 hour ago, Blueberry Kisses said:

Wait a minute, literally speak for yourself :deadbanana2: It's a perfectly fine song with a more accessible sound than IVE's and better vocals (I do not blame the American public for not being interested in what sounds like children's attempts to sing a nursery rhyme) that is, in fact, sung by - and I realize this might be a shock - actual Asian women! From an IP which was worked on by a higher-than-average number of Asian artists! None of whom, I think it's safe to assume, are children who dropped out of school to participate only to rack up thousands in debt and not get paid. So music aside, in terms of ethics of consumption the movie definitely > k-pop, not that that was even a conversation.

 

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth and I too want (some) k-pop girl groups to get international attention but you sure seem to be implying that there's a problem when Asian people who aren't idols are successful. Like, why do you feel like this is taking something away from k-pop girl groups? It's literally the same people working on this project. The lead singers in the movie are literally writers for some of the biggest k-pop groups. The only difference between this and a physical k-pop group is that no teenagers had to starve themselves or get their bones sawed down. Literally a complete net positive for everyone :emofish:

Uhmm….I get where you're coming from, but the point OP was making wasnt about idols' backgrounds or industry practices, it was more about how a kpop song is finally seeing unseen heights among the western audience when it's an animated group and no longer a real Asian person on the screen. And also how can you be so sure about the background and personal struggles of the singers of this movie? Isn't EJAE a former SM trainee? Also please speak for yourself when it comes to the song itself, because for me I AM is way more pleasant to listen to compared to the grating theatrical voices of Golden. And believe it or not, the IVE girls can actually sing it well live, so idk where this "children's attempt at a nursery rhyme" "more accessible" statements are coming from when it's literally the same song at the end of the day. 

Edited by Witnessed ET

My k-center :clap3:

 

The charisma, aura, stage presence, dancing, visual, above average vocal, Hanbin delivered.

at least japan is still loyal to Twice

 

Edited by dangerlady

 

I fear this stupid song is growing on me. The charisma is infectious :fountain:


I kinda wrote this off at first but it really is like a well-made bubblegum pop song. It's just pure carefree cheesy bliss. 
 

Same with The Chase. H2H have potential to make radio hits if SM stop being lazy. Next comeback music video better be stylized and higher budget. 

 

As I suspected, this is another frecuency :doc:

 

They went to the 127 rejects vault and picked this

 

We don't have to be so negative

The songs are a part of a big animated movie that millions of people watched

the movie clicked and so did the songs

 

the Frozen songs also reached bigger heights than most western acts lol

 

it's extremely unique that kpop is as big as it is globally already and an animated movie is just opening more doors for the industry.. I think it's positive!

The top 4 songs on melon are from TheBlackLabel...... YGly hates to see it hiding.. :giraffe:

9 hours ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

Hardly. If it weren't for you and @Darkling I would have no idea who that person was 

 

spacer.png

 

at this point I can only assume they're trying to sell Leo and Sangwon as duo because, from what I've seen, Sangwon has the visuals but the vocals are chopped, and Leo has the vocals but the visuals don't fit the idol standard

 

if you combine them you get a full package I guess… I wonder if they'll count as one member

 

spacer.png

It's not like most people you stan are great singers either, dear

 

hPzcZhNw.gif

Edited by Darkling

2 minutes ago, Darkling said:

It's not like most people you stan are great singers either, dear

 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1174087080721264781/1395427758145798197/ezgif-107bd82bd539a7.gif

Who are your picks? Mine has changed :jonny5: 

 

IMG_1965.gif?ex=687b3be7&is=6879ea67&hm=

 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.