Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Favorite Mariah era based on tone.

Featured Replies

Mimi's legendary voice has had changes in tone depending on he era. Which is your fav Mariah era based on her tone?

  • Replies 58
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • suburbannature
    suburbannature

    Based on ONLY tone though - Rainbow and Glitter were so good          

  • suburbannature
    suburbannature

    That's tough. I think my favorites are:   Debut era's darker, jazzy tone   Butterfly's soulfulness and rasp   Charmbracelet's fullness

  • suburbannature
    suburbannature

    2005 in particular. 

That's tough. I think my favorites are:

 

Debut era's darker, jazzy tone

 

Butterfly's soulfulness and rasp

 

Charmbracelet's fullness

 

Just now, Hey Dude said:

I feel it would objectively have to be 1990-1995.

Her prime vocal years were 1990-1998; 02-04

 

But the OP is asking about tonal quality specifically.

1995/1996. But I like the increased rasp between 1997-2000. Also, her tone during The Emancipation of Mimi was different but very pleasant still and more layered imo

 

 

 

 

 

Based on ONLY tone though - Rainbow and Glitter were so good :jonny: 

 

 

 

 

2 minutes ago, CottageHore said:

Also, her tone during The Emancipation of Mimi was different but very pleasant still and more layered imo

 

2005 in particular. 

7 minutes ago, constantinople said:

Daydream era of course

she was G5ing effortlessly

 

This

 

 

'Daydream' imo is the best she has ever sounded, live and in the studio.

Just now, Feanor said:

'Daydream' imo is the best she has ever sounded, live and in the studio.

OP is asking about tone, specifically.

 

also some people would argue Music Box - Merry Christmas > Daydream, but I think it comes down to personal preference. All-time great vocals all over the place :jonny: 

I would say:

 

1. Butterfly

2. Debut/Emotions

3. Daydream

 

Of her prime, the only era I don’t really like is Rainbow. Tone wise the Long Island came OUT.  :rip:

1 minute ago, Lamb said:

I have a soft spot for Glitter era vocals

 

 

 

OHOMO was recorded in mid 2000, I think. It was still Rainbow era before the rest of the soundtrack was recorded in late 2000-early 2001

Just now, suburbannature said:

OHOMO was recorded in mid 2000, I think. It was still Rainbow era before the rest of the soundtrack was recorded in late 2000-early 2001

Wasn't it originally meant to be in Glitter? The lyrics fit the storyline of the movie and the sound of the album. Either way I loved ha tone during those years

Music Box

 

I prefer Daydream and Butterfly musically but I love how smooth/soothing her tone was during MB/MC

Butterfly. Perfect balance of her supreme abilities that peaked in the mid-90s (imo) and a smokey raspiness. Post-Butterfly, this newer tone started sounding weak and damaged (see: Rainbow)

Music Box & Daydream :jonny4:

 

I also have a soft spot for the Butterfly raspiness

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.