MPGs with reverse flopping experiences?

Solaria

Tori Amos’s “Boys For Pele” album. I personally think it’s the worst album in her catalogue and don’t profess to enjoy it but she toured it in to the ground, it won a lot of people round and to this day they swear it’s one of her best.

Edited by Dante Silva

A lot of our faves served flop leads followed by successful hits now that I think about it haha

Britney - ITZ (in the US)

Xtina - Stripped (in the US)

Avril - UMS

Gwen - L.A.M.B

Mariah - Emancipation (low key)

Nelly - Folklore

And these are all 2002-2005. So weird how much time it took to turn an era into a success back then.

1 hour ago, tjspy said:

Houdini

It's literally still dead 

Edited by lillavend3r
  • Haha 4

Avril’s Under My Skin. Don’t Tell Me is such a great song but did not really catch on, thankfully My Happy Ending saved it.

Kelly’s Stronger. Mr. Know It All made the top ten but it was purely due to Kelly’s goodwill from MLWSWY and Already Gone, but Stronger (song) really

pulled through for the era.

The Emancipation of Mimi, somehow. It’s Like That did well especially after her string of flops, and thankfully WBY became the smash of 2000s.

Lover, not a flop but an underperformance. But look at it now, being Taylor’s most streamed album and sitting pretty in the BB200. Cruel Summer and Lover (song) really turned the tide for that album (and also its great tracks that went mildly viral like Afterglow, Daylight, Paper Rings).

Bieber’s Justice… somehow. Holy, Lonely and Anyone did great right out the bat especially after the underperformance of Changes and Yummy, but Peaches (and low key Ghost) really gave the album much more longevity and presence. Then there’s Stay which despite not being part of the album really feels like part of the era.

- Rated R with Rude Boy smashing

- Lover (a) underperformed with 2 flop singles then folklore/evermore/TET happened and Cruel Summer smashing maked the album appreciated more

- One of the Girls by The Weeknd, it smashes all of a sudden after months of release

Madonna’s lead single Secret kind of underperformed in the US (top 3) and then she followed with Take a bow (7 weeks at number 1)

"Run the World (Girls)". It flopped badly upon release. But she kept performing it with huge productions on award shows, then at the Superbowl, included it in every tour set list... it ended up being huge in streams and is now one of her signature songs. To the public it's more known and remembered than many of the Top 5 hits from that year.

• Like 1

Dua Lipa's career. Flop after flop after flop and it seemed she will go nowhere and then New Rules happened and look at her now

Shakira's El Dorado - It debuted low but ended up becoming one of the most streamed eras across YouTube and Spotify

Basically some of her singles were like that too - GIRL LIKE ME, Te Felicito, Don't You Worry etc. 

GIRL LIKE ME didn't hit hard anywhere when it was released but then ended up Diamond in France, 2x Diamond in Brazil etc.

Edited by shakeyourbombom

after 3 scrapped lead singles, it wasn’t looking too good for rihanna… then that confusing antidiary thing that didn’t seem to lead to anything 😭 but she gagged everybody with Anti. Got 3 huge hits and a classic album (that is still charting). I feel like its reception wasn’t that good at the begging but it really stood the rest of time 

Memoirs by Mariah. The album was ridiculed for debuting at only #3 in the US, but is now certified Platinum and is gaining sps like crazy (among her catalogue). It has become her 5th biggest album on streaming. 

Ummm, reputation I guess? The media was saying that Taylor would flop and she didn't. 

8 hours ago, unclefloprry said:

op said MPGs

OP: ANTi

Miley is higher than Rihanna on the Billboard 200 all-time list. 

She’s just had the biggest female hit of the decade while Rihanna is a retired legacy act despite the fact that she debuted at the same time as Rihanna. 

Miley will have two diamond solo singles in 2024 (Rihanna has zero). She will also have more diamond-certified solo singles in the long run when WSC and WB will achieve these certifications. 

She has four albums recording more than 2M daily streams. Plastic Hearts is performing on par with Anti. 

3 hours ago, playwithme said:

She’s just had the biggest female hit of the decade while Rihanna is a retired legacy act despite the fact that she debuted at the same time as Rihanna. 

Miley will have two diamond solo singles in 2024 (Rihanna has zero). She will also have more diamond-certified solo singles in the long run when WSC and WB will achieve these certifications. 

She has four albums recording more than 2M daily streams. Plastic Hearts is performing on par with Anti. 

If youre trying to argue that Miley is bigger than Rihanna than argue with the wall

5400cdbe904a0bcd409dc45a1829ef88.gif

Edited by rihannafan
  • Like 1

Cardigan initially only charted 14 weeks in the hot 100, but a few years later it had amazing recurrent streams on spotify, and it is now 1.1B!!!!!

13 hours ago, playwithme said:

10 hours ago, rihannafan said:

If youre trying to argue that Miley is bigger than Rihanna than argue with the wall

:cm: Basically, when half of your "facts" are wrong or outdated.

19 hours ago, unclefloprry said:

:cm: Basically, when half of your "facts" are wrong or outdated.

Quote me when Rihanna scores a solo diamond single like a proper MPG.  

Scream & Shout was hated when it got released and flopped for a few weeks. I disliked it myself at first because it sounded very unusual but it was a huge grower and became an immense success known by everyone at the end. 

Lover, obviously. 

It went from…whatever 2019-early 2020 was, to housing one of her biggest hits of all time. :deadbanana2: Literally none of us predicted this. 

On 1/20/2024 at 11:10 AM, rihannafan said:

I'm not arguing that she's bigger. That user said that Miley doesn't qualify as an MPG despite having five solo songs with more than 800 million streams, three multi-platinum albums and two platinum-eligible albums. She also has the biggest female hit song of the 00s and the biggest female hit song of the 20s (so far).  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.