Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Was Bionic a respectable move in retrospect?

Featured Replies

Not after the inclusion of **** like Desnudate, Not my career tonight, I hate boys etc, no.

 

If it were a short and sweet experimental album as she promised in 2008, yes it would be, judging from the deluxe material and songs like Elastic Love, Bionic etc

  • Replies 52
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Y'all need to stop trying to make Bionic this "misunderstood classic" lol. It was a Heidi Montag quality hot garbaj at best.   Move on, just like the GP did 13 years ago.

  • Truth Teller
    Truth Teller

    It would have been if the lead were Monday Morning / Birds of Prey and if all the experimental tracks were included   In the form that we got the album (which I FULLY enjoy) I wouldn't call

  • #Beautiful
    #Beautiful

    sex for breakfast is the best song of all time that much i know

Yes.

 

The original vision was flawless Bionic, Elastic Love, Birds of Prey, Glam, Monday Morning and Lift Me Up then the label came with NMT, I Hate Boys, My Girls and Desnudate and destroyed the original vision.

 

I hate her for not fighting for this album.

1 hour ago, P.O.P said:

Y'all need to stop trying to make Bionic this "misunderstood classic" lol. It was a Heidi Montag quality hot garbaj at best.

 

Move on, just like the GP did 13 years ago.

A non single from Heidi her debut album is currently outstreaming each song on Bionic. Don’t compare Bionic to the Princess of Pop.

 

Christina should have begged Heidi for a collab.

 

No Heidi, No Hit 

I remember around that time, Simon Cowel said that if Christina released "I Am" she could turn that era around. The reality is Christina had too much going on that year with a new album, movie, soundtrack, and her divorce. Bionic was still a solid album and brought Sia to the mainstream. 

Edited by toxicgenie

56 minutes ago, Repelex said:

Not after the inclusion of **** like Desnudate, Not my career tonight, I hate boys etc, no.

 

If it were a short and sweet experimental album as she promised in 2008, yes it would be, judging from the deluxe material and songs like Elastic Love, Bionic etc

 

29 minutes ago, Xtripped said:

Yes.

 

The original vision was flawless Bionic, Elastic Love, Birds of Prey, Glam, Monday Morning and Lift Me Up then the label came with NMT, I Hate Boys, My Girls and Desnudate and destroyed the original vision.

 

I hate her for not fighting for this album.

:clap3:

21 hours ago, Xtripped said:

Yes.

 

The original vision was flawless Bionic, Elastic Love, Birds of Prey, Glam, Monday Morning and Lift Me Up then the label came with NMT, I Hate Boys, My Girls and Desnudate and destroyed the original vision.

 

I hate her for not fighting for this album.

Hot take: All the songs are still good.

Edited by SuperCiC1

It would have been if she would have kept the original experimental direction without the commercial songs and sexy image.

There’s about 6 really good songs out of the 24 that she put out.
 

idk how the album could be “ahead of its time” when half of the rest sounds like Circus, The Fame, and even GGGB leftovers. And the more experimental songs sound like something Kylie Minogue would’ve rejected for Body Language.

I could easily vouch for each song on Bionic sounding sonically unique and maybe something that everyone will not get, appreciate, or understand. How polarizing this album is is truly fascinating to me, same with the Fantasy Ride and Circus eras I stan so hard.

 

08-09 music is very much what I am into right now. :coffee:

 

Spoiler

edit: also aware Bionic came out in 2010; regardless

 

Edited by SuperCiC1

People always blame it’s floppage on the music, single choices, promo etc. but in reality I do think it was the Gaga comparison and bad press that did this album injustice. 
 

It’s a solid record, and if it didn’t get sabotaged by Perez Hilton + media, it would have at least gotten the same amount of hits as Back to Basics and maybe end with 1-2 million in overall sales. 

the tracklisting is bad, but the songs are quality so yes it is a respectable move. I love that like Kelis who did it before her, she embraced electronic music and gave us several genres. I still love the Future Pop banger, B.I.O.N.I.C.

 

My Girls (ft Peaches), I wish she was running the show and it was success, but alas it was a flop

Edited by Phaunzie

No, it was a trendy album which just needed better single choices, less songs with a cohesive tracklist and no Perez Hilton or Gaga meddling with the era.

On 5/25/2023 at 3:25 PM, BGKC said:

As long as Birds Of Prey and You Lost Me exists, the respect and appreciation for that album still exists. There’s several gems on it. Lotus however… ima have to pass on that one. :matty:

The thing is that half of the album is really ambitious and great, even Little Dreamer was good for an album track but then you have awful tracks like Not Myself Tonight, Vanity, and the other trash that ruins what could've been a fantastic and distinctive record.

 

How can you work with Ladytron and then have Pollow Da Don produce a lead single...

 

Bionic, Monday Morning, Elastic Love, Sex For Breakfast, Birds of Prey, Stronger Than Ever, etc...

 

 

 

The album was good, what killed the era was the HORRIBLE first single : not myself tonight. That song killed her career.

 

bionic had some very good songs on it.

I actually love bionic, but no.

It felt like quite the opposite, actually: an attempt at on hopping on the trend-train a day late & a dollar short. Other new mpgs had already taken the electro sound/genre by storm, so when Xtina jumped on it, it just felt like an attempt at pandering for hits. 

 

IMO, whatever she released in 2010 was always doomed though. 4-year hiatuses are already dangerous as-is, and in those specific years she was inactive (2007, 2008, 2009) an entire slew of MPGs took over & pretty much flung her and Britney into the "old news" category. Like this is purely anecdotal, but as someone who was 10 when bionic dropped (my family bought the CD) i vividly remember thinking Xtina and Britney were the "older" girls even though liked them, meanwhile Rihanna/Kesha/Katy/Gaga/Nicki etc were clearly the fresh meat in the pop world.

I wasn't used to that sound from her up to that point. After her debut, Stripped and Back to Basics, I didn't like it all. In retrospect, however, I'd absolutely say it's a really great album. The only songs that never grew on me are "I Hate Boys" and "My Girls." Songs like that are and were just beneath her. Overall, now I'd rate it a solid 8/10.

 

I really wish that project was marketed and promoted much differently than it was. I wish she had fought for her original vision to be at the forefront of Bionic. I remember, at some point, it was supposed to be a double disc album. I wish she would have followed through with that.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, Xtripped said:

Yes.

 

The original vision was flawless Bionic, Elastic Love, Birds of Prey, Glam, Monday Morning and Lift Me Up then the label came with NMT, I Hate Boys, My Girls and Desnudate and destroyed the original vision.

 

I hate her for not fighting for this album.

My Girls and Desnudate are feel good bops. I'm glad they exist. 

3 hours ago, SinnerCity said:

The thing is that half of the album is really ambitious and great, even Little Dreamer was good for an album track but then you have awful tracks like Not Myself Tonight, Vanity, and the other trash that ruins what could've been a fantastic and distinctive record.

 

How can you work with Ladytron and then have Pollow Da Don produce a lead single...

 

Bionic, Monday Morning, Elastic Love, Sex For Breakfast, Birds of Prey, Stronger Than Ever, etc...

 

 

 

I mean you’re totally right, half the album kinda sucks. It’s just too long and not at all cohesive. But the highs are HIGH and it deserves recognition for that as opposed to just writing it off completely. 
 

I also kinda like Not Myself Tonight and  personally don’t think any song would have faired that much better than that. Not to the extent of thinking another lead would have “saved” her career the way people are saying NMT killed her career Like Elastic Love is really good, but that too would have still flopped. Most of the album was simply not a crowd pleaser, sonically speaking. Like it’s just too squeaky and didn’t align well with what was popular then. Plus the ballads just feel completely out of place all together from the “Bionic” theme. 

9 minutes ago, BGKC said:

Not to the extent of thinking another lead would have “saved” her career the way people are saying NMT killed her career Like Elastic Love is really good, but that too would have still flopped

I don’t agree with this at all.


Not Myself tonight had FANTASTIC radio updates & positive responses in general. It was doing just fine UNTIL the video was released of her making a fool out of herself then suddenly it was dropped.

 

So to say a more artistic or quality lead like “Monday Morning” or “Glam” would have bomb is delusional because for songs like that i highly doubt she would be nude on the floor throwing oil on herself in the music video. 
 

3 hours ago, SinnerCity said:

How can you work with Ladytron and then have Pollow Da Don produce a lead single...

 

:clap3: Agreed it made zero sense. This is the biggest problem. The album was all over the place & that ridiculous four year break destroyed her. 
 

You can’t make ppl wait four years expecting them to still care. Releasing a hits album in 2008 was a slap in her fans face. I love Christina but let’s be honest RCA & Xtina got too cocky it backfired big time. 

1 hour ago, Power love said:

I don’t agree with this at all.


Not Myself tonight had FANTASTIC radio updates & positive responses in general. It was doing just fine UNTIL the video was released of her making a fool out of herself then suddenly it was dropped.

 

So to say a more artistic or quality lead like “Monday Morning” or “Glam” would have bomb is delusional because for songs like that i highly doubt she would be nude on the floor throwing oil on herself in the music video. 

Delusional is thinking Glam or MM would have really smashed or saved her career/the Bionic era. I also never said they would “bomb” I just don’t see what about them had the potential to chart better than Your Body for example, which had gays delusional enough to think it was some sort of comeback (before it failed to get a top 20 spot). But even if Glam or MM were top 10 hits, what then? It’s not as if she learned anything by making videos like that because she still gave us Accelerate either way lol. 

I find it so weird how the label would force her to release NMT for a commercial pop sound and potential mass appeal but then let her have such a bdsm inspired video when America was and still is so conservative. Like makes me wonder what the labels do or don’t have control over. 
 

but honestly NMT is still such a bop and I constantly listen to it during workouts and when I pregame with friends

23 minutes ago, BGKC said:

Delusional is thinking Glam or MM would have really smashed or saved her career/the Bionic era

It would’ve done way better than Not myself tonight that’s for sure which is my point both are way more general public friendly. 

 

24 minutes ago, BGKC said:

just don’t see what about them had the potential to chart better than Your Body for example

Not myself tonight charted better than  Your Body than I’m almost positive Monday morning would have seeing it was praised upon release. 

 

26 minutes ago, BGKC said:

It’s not as if she learned anything by making videos like that because she still gave us Accelerate either way

Because she doesnt care, it’s pretty clear she’s going to do whatever she wants regardless of anything. 

The highs on this album are high :ghostface:title track, Monday Morning, Birds of Prey, All I Need, I Am, Vanity, Stronger Than Ever 

 

 

Edited by orange22

On 5/25/2023 at 5:29 AM, Truth Teller said:

It would have been if the lead were Monday Morning / Birds of Prey and if all the experimental tracks were included

 

In the form that we got the album (which I FULLY enjoy) I wouldn't call it respectable. It felt like trying to keep up and failing.

Pretty much all of this. Tho I don’t think we can blame Xtina for the final album we got, it seems like there was a lot of label interference when it comes to Bionic. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.