Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Why did Foxes fail to take off?

Featured Replies

So last year Foxes released her fantastic third album The Kick and recently it was the ten year anniversary of her biggest hit Clarity. Recently I've been thinking about her first era and how she seemed to be everywhere for a little while and then just disappear. 

 

I remember hearing her singles Youth and Let Go For Tonight a lot and i think they were both used in adds and stuff like that. However both only went silver.

 

 

 

She was also featured on Clarity around the same time which was of course massive. 

 

However her album Glorious also only went silver but it was only her first album. 

 

She released a second album in 2016 but it wasn't commercially successful compared even to her first. She still has a career of course but she's done in terms of sales and mainstream succes. So what do we think the issue was? Was it taking too long to release her first album and then long breaks in between albums? Was it her sound? Was she just not liked by the general public? I assumed she was much bigger than she actually was back then cos her singles seemed like they were everywhere. 

  • Replies 36
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never understand how The Kick didn't catch on at all with gay audiences. It is a really well put together pop record, so it's a bit strange to me that nothing came out of it for her.

taking like 6 years after her second album only to return with mid music and then finally starting a rollout with good music only for the album to be released like 6 months after... she was always a cute lil indie girl and never cut out to be a commercially big artist. mismanaged with huge lack of promo, no social media presence, no interesting personality... literally everyone moved on except for like a few gays on here including me i'm afraid :redface:

Edited by RideOrDie

bad labels and management plus her anxiety probably hindered any future success tbh. The quality was always there tho. 

 

 

Never underestimate the importance of a good stage name. When you search up her name you see the animal before her :gaycat6:

 

OT: She debuted just as UK pop was on its way out and she doesn't really have any star quality. I also saw her live once and she's a terrible singer :rip:

  • Author
3 minutes ago, cockatoo said:

Never underestimate the importance of a good stage name. When you search up her name you see the animal before her :gaycat6:

 

OT: She debuted just as UK pop was on its way out and she doesn't really have any star quality. I also saw her live once and she's a terrible singer :rip:

Tbh I think that's probably a big part of it. It's one of the worst stage names ever. :rip:

she makes good albums i regularly listen to All I Need , but she has zero personality that shines through . i know literally nothing about her even tho ive been listening to her for 7 years :rip: 

WE COULD MAKE TONITE... 1 OF THOSE... SISTER RAY... KINDA NIGHTS 

-

idk probably mismanagement. the material in the most recent album is quite cute and i think a lot of gheys would love it

  • Author
13 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

taking like 6 years after her second album only to return with mid music and then finally starting a rollout with good music only for the album to be released like 6 months after... she was always a cute lil indie girl and never cut out to be a commercially big artist. mismanaged with huge lack of promo, no social media presence, no interesting personality... literally everyone moved on except for like a few gays on here including me i'm afraid :redface:

 

7 minutes ago, May said:

she makes good albums i regularly listen to All I Need , but she has zero personality that shines through . i know literally nothing about her even tho ive been listening to her for 7 years :rip: 

I think the lack of Persona is a good point but not every artist has a huge persona. Carly is LOVED by the gays and I wouldn't say i know anything about her either. 

That's a good point; foxes is truly one of the worst stage names - it's like guaranteeing you'll never have any awareness :deadbanana2:

There was never really a reason for her to take off, she has bops but she is really faceless as a celebrity. She could have got more cute radio hits if she didn't take a big hiatus but there was never going to be a big MPG career for her.

She could've had it with LGFT but after that she kinda lost her chance.

 

35 minutes ago, HausofNick said:

I'll never understand how The Kick didn't catch on at all with gay audiences. It is a really well put together pop record, so it's a bit strange to me that nothing came out of it for her.

I thought it was kinda popular with a (very) niche audience though. At least on this site I've seen good support for it.

The stage music, long hiatuses, mismanagement

Edited by GentleEarthquake

ugh i love foxes. the kick is a pop masterpiece. i thought for sure that she’d catch on w that album. sadly, i wonder if she’ll ever release again. 

Her stage name + big breaks between records + the messiest rollouts possible

Love her and The Kick is among my favorite 10 albums of last year, but there are dozens of reasons why she wouldn't take off, basically all of which being mentioned already :deadbanana:She always gave UK indie pop flop girlie.

I really wish she could've had a better career but I'm having a great time going to her affordable gigs and she always puts a great show!

Clarity was a collab and I’m fairly certain that the only other “big” hit was a non event. There was too much time in between releases to really catch on. 

She really deserves so much more.

 

Like, it's hard to explain but you can really feel the pure excitement and joy in her music from the way she sings. It tended to be more present in her earlier music but even when I put on something like "Sky Love" I just feel this overwhelming and sincere happiness being channelled through her vocal. She's one of the few artists I can say resonate with me that deeply.

  • Author
37 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Love her and The Kick is among my favorite 10 albums of last year, but there are dozens of reasons why she wouldn't take off, basically all of which being mentioned already :deadbanana:She always gave UK indie pop flop girlie.

Even for that standard she just doesn't seem to have much of a fanbase though. Like Marina, Charli, FKA Twigs all do bad numbers (Marina's early albums did OK but still) but they all have huge fanbases. 

 

I guess as people say she should have been marketed as indie to begin with and had more of an online presence (and a better name) if she wanted more fans. It's just a shame cos her music is good. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.