Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

This is part 1 of the K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive discussion.

Featured Replies

14 minutes ago, Gaia said:

The only SM concept that was stellar in 2022 was INVU. The rest were meh tbh. Aespa was SO basic compared to Savage/NL.

True. I wish INVU (the album) was better cause the visuals were top notch.

  • Replies 131.8k
  • Views 10.9m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • aespa #1!    MYs can have arts AND charts now No chart updates on Spicy from you then?   I think not. Nope. They're at #1 now. Consider your points deb

  • Also @Mel. now that thread banning is back your two week ban starts now. 

  • Antisocialites
    Antisocialites

    some of the new members not giving new at all 

3 minutes ago, Zack said:

Yeah RV had the best concept from SM last year. It even set a trend, as several others started following the classical influences after. 

 

No wonder it became SM's biggest hit in 2022. Bigger than INVU too. 

In fairness, Ms. Taeyeon had multiple hits in 2022 that streamers were eating up. Let’s not do too much on her - INVU was by far the best photoshoot, video, concept and title track in 2022. 
 

RV still ate and had the second best video, the fourth best teasers, the third best photoshoot and the fifth best title of the year. Their teaser concept was on another level and more clever than anything else we’ve seen since.

Taeyeon is really a good model too, she embodied the best the Hugo Comte-esque poses from all SM idols. 

4 minutes ago, Eternium said:

In fairness, Ms. Taeyeon had multiple hits in 2022 that streamers were eating up. Let’s not do too much on her - INVU was by far the best photoshoot, video, concept and title track in 2022. 
 

RV still ate and had the second best video, the fourth best teasers, the third best photoshoot and the fifth best title of the year. Their teaser concept was on another level and more clever than anything else we’ve seen since.

IDKU was bland and awful and only did well because she released it at an empty time of year. Not to mention her solo has basically cannibalized SNSD's fanbase. You only need to look at how the other SNSD solos were paid dust by sones. It's a pity for them. 

 

Feel My Rhythm was a beautiful and inspired concept from start to finish. Right from the sheet music teaser, to the album being released on Bach's birthday, to the custom couture dresses worn in the MV and performances. 

 

this is so fun :heart:

and ugh his beauty pops even more next to these basic white boys

sm stans are BITTER :deadbanana2:

 

but it's cool how mjh takes all the hate for newjeans and the girls are left unhated :clap3:

6 minutes ago, Eternium said:

In fairness, Ms. Taeyeon had multiple hits in 2022 that streamers were eating up. Let’s not do too much on her - INVU was by far the best photoshoot, video, concept and title track in 2022. 
 

RV still ate and had the second best video, the fourth best teasers, the third best photoshoot and the fifth best title of the year. Their teaser concept was on another level and more clever than anything else we’ve seen since.

aespa's MVs are the biggest letdown imo

their concept and lore is so grande and interesting but they haven't been able to translate it well into an MV yet

there's cool shots but it's mostly repeated, empty looking sets

I enjoy their SMCU episodes more

 

I think FMR is my favorite SM video from last year! they got everything right with that CB :jonny6:

18 minutes ago, dlwlrma said:

SM always had the best art concepts in kpop by miles and still has overall
But just INVU from these ones will survive the time 

Why are people trying to downgrade MHJ works, when they spend more than one decade acclaiming her? :lakitu:
Her vision of Y2K is devouring the entire kpop :bird: she is winning 

I mean the INVU concept was heavily inspired by Hugo Comte works. 
 

 

2 minutes ago, ItsJustMe. said:

I think FMR is my favorite SM video from last year! they got everything right with that CB :jonny6:

The taste. :clap3:

 

OT: The FMR B-sides really held up well too. Especially Bamboleo

As an ex smsheep I think SM completely lost its touch. 

 

They want the west so much and are trying so hard to get that west knowledge but they are getting nothing. 

They are failing to see what the public actually wants and if they continue like this HYBE will still be winning by a long Marge :coffee2:

23 minutes ago, Red Velvet said:

What about Feel My Rhythm? You might not like the song but the concept was done so well :jonny:

 

434413a7da2f388edd3dcb00fcd1d3c66571d837 

 

17 minutes ago, Eternium said:

Birthday, Feel My Rhythm and Forever 1 were all incredible. I honestly can’t think of a more clever teaser cycle than FMR’s this year.

 

Girls was just a tired retread of Savage. It’s a shame because Ningning’s video look would have made for an excellent concept, as would the idea of a battle in a dojo.

 

I’m nervous because GOT The Beat’s teasers are serving JYP-level bad.

Honestly, we need MHJ back for the music videos. They’re still good, but they’re not as great as they used to be. The “Birthday” video made me feel nothing.

I forget about FMR since I personally wasn't into it much at all (I kinda upgraded my rating of it to a 7/10 when for most of 2022 I felt it was a 3/10). 

 

FMR just for the ballerina vibes was gorgeous, but there were also very tacky clothes/vibes with it as well. Those ultra bright scenes in the MV :rip: 

4 minutes ago, ItsJustMe. said:

aespa's MVs are the biggest letdown imo

their concept and lore is so grande and interesting but they haven't been able to translate it well into an MV yet

there's cool shots but it's mostly repeated, empty looking sets

I enjoy their SMCU episodes more

 

I think FMR is my favorite SM video from last year! they got everything right with that CB :jonny6:

Mte, their MVs really suffer from the choice of focusing the budget on the SMCU episodes.

5 minutes ago, Zack said:

The taste. :clap3:

 

OT: The FMR B-sides really held up well too. Especially Bamboleo

don't forget this ethereal bop :jonnycat:

 

 

wendy :WAP:

17 minutes ago, Eternium said:

In fairness, Ms. Taeyeon had multiple hits in 2022 that streamers were eating up. Let’s not do too much on her - INVU was by far the best photoshoot, video, concept and title track in 2022. 
 

RV still ate and had the second best video, the fourth best teasers, the third best photoshoot and the fifth best title of the year. Their teaser concept was on another level and more clever than anything else we’ve seen since.

The specifics :deadbanana4:

3 minutes ago, ItsJustMe. said:

don't forget this ethereal bop :jonnycat:

 

 

wendy :WAP:

This performance....THIS is how you perform a ballad while sitting down....live! :fan:

 

OT: Wendy was incredible here

the more I listen to NewJeans the better I can differentiate each member's voices

Just now, Flomik said:

the more I listen to NewJeans the better I can differentiate each member's voices

Hanni and Danielle are the easiest to recognize :heart:

42 minutes ago, Gaia said:

The only SM concept that was stellar in 2022 was INVU. The rest were meh tbh. Aespa was SO basic compared to Savage/NL.

Feel My Rhythm is one of the most cohesive and best concept ever

 

From song to lyrics to outfits to video to performance stage to makeup, everything fits like a glove. At the same time it's unique and never been done before

I swear it’s time for SM to get their sh*t together! No more kwangya, Nct noise and Jopping type of mess! They better give Exo  real music for their comeback, that’s what everyone want  :WAP:

 


We love real and talented LIVE singers  (except Sehun :coffee:) 

 

 

Edited by Adama

6 minutes ago, Sorecer said:

Hanni and Danielle are the easiest to recognize :heart:

I would say Minji too! she has completely different tone and her voice feels „heavier”, if that makes sense 

 

or maybe it’s because I’m used to their voices now :deadbanana4:

3 minutes ago, Adama said:

I swear it’s time for SM to get their sh*t together! No more kwangya, Nct noise and Jopping type of mess! They better give Exo  real music for their comeback, that’s what everyone want  :WAP:

 


We love real LIVE singers  (except Sehun :coffee:) 

 

 

I swear to god I fall in love with D.O’s voice every single time as if I’m listening to him for the first time ever :jonny: he literally might have the best male tone in kpop ever.

That was a good show, Jypig should bring this back 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 minute ago, Hazy said:

I would say Minji too! she has completely different tone and her voice feels „heavier”, if that makes sense 

 

or maybe it’s because I’m used to their voices now :deadbanana4:

Minji definitely has a heavier tone. Hanni and Danielle of course have the most distinct tones though, and they’re also the best singers in the group. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.