Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

James Cameron reveals he almost directed Wicked

Featured Replies

Quote

 

James Cameron revealed he almost took on Wicked movie musical adaptation as he noted that movies have "to be an event" these days for studios to give them big budgets and for audiences to see them in theater.

 

"The kind of movies that I like to watch, let's say Dune or even Wicked," he explained on The Town with Matt Belloni podcast. "I almost made Wicked back when. I really love the story, I mean The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite [movies]. This is going back 15 years."

 

Confirming he met with Universal Pictures about his take on the 1995 Gregory Maguire book, turned 2003 Broadway musical, Cameron said he "couldn't find the song" but didn't totally rule out doing a musical in his career.

 

"I don't know," Cameron told Belloni. "Well, my favorite movie is a musical, Wizard of Oz."

 

 

x

  • Replies 50
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

It's always tacky when directors or actors brag about turning down a project. Most consider it a faux pas. 

"Couldn't find the song" when defying gravity is right there is crazy

 

shut up old man

spacer.png

 

What does he mean he "couldn't find the song"? The songs for Wicked already existed. :deadbanana2:
 

 

Well, we know both Ariana and Cynthia would've fit on that ******* door frame along with most of the Munchkins, too. So there's that. 

5 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

It's always tacky when directors or actors brag about turning down a project. Most consider it a faux pas. 

He has the most successful movies of all time and has proven time after time he keeps making SMASHES LOL.

I wonder if it would have been an event circa 2010 like it is today. Ariana's star power had a lot to do with the success of the movie. I think everything just fell into place when it did. 

  • Popular Post

Not half of ATRL lacking reading comprehension  :deadbanana2: 

 

I'm not saying his version would have been good, but "couldn't find the song" is obviously a pun in that he couldn't figure out an actionable vision that would work on screen. Obviously the songs are right there. He's not saying he literally couldn't find a song.

 

Anyways Chu did an amazing job. That doesn't discredit Cameron's amazing works such as Titanic, Avatar, and Aliens. I just don't know if he would have done as good of a job with the material as Chu did in the end.

Is getting mad at everything grandpa Cameron says the new thing now 

20 minutes ago, AmericanIdol said:

He has the most successful movies of all time and has proven time after time he keeps making SMASHES LOL.

and how exactly is that relevant to what I said 

33 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

idk how to explain it but this gives me the same vibes as the mallsey video

 

34 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

Not half of ATRL lacking reading comprehension  :deadbanana2: 

 

I'm not saying his version would have been good, but "couldn't find the song" is obviously a pun in that he couldn't figure out an actionable vision that would work on screen. Obviously the songs are right there. He's not saying he literally couldn't find a song.

 

Anyways Chu did an amazing job. That doesn't discredit Cameron's amazing works such as Titanic, Avatar, and Aliens. I just don't know if he would have done as good of a job with the material as Chu did in the end.

the first replies made me laugh because exactly :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Smarticle said:

I don't know the context but the collective GAG sent me. :ahh:

1 hour ago, Katamari said:

Is getting mad at everything grandpa Cameron says the new thing now 

People have been doing that since he made comments about the MCU (which wasn't even a drag!) :skull:

1 hour ago, Morbidicity said:

I wonder if it would have been an event circa 2010 like it is today. Ariana's star power had a lot to do with the success of the movie. I think everything just fell into place when it did. 

Lmao no Wicked would have smashed without Ari. It's a classic. Now everyone who hasn't seen it just thinks of two weird girls 

That's a really interesting imagination exercise honestly. 
 

After Cynthia's and especially Ariana's portrayal of these roles I can't see anyone else playing Elphaba and Glinda, so it really makes one wonder what the cast would've been at that point of time.

 

But on the other hand, I'm intrigued by the fact that there's a higher chance Cameron would've made bolder changes and go for a more tragic angle. After seeing For Good 3 times in the theatre, I firmly believe its biggest issue is that the whole story is cheapened by the need to give Elphaba and Fiyero a happy ending together. It underplays the heavy themes that were previously introduced and also diminished the emotional hook of the movie that needs to come at 'For Good'.

 

For the final musical number to work, it has to be the encounter with Glinda that ultimately makes Elphaba realize it can't go on like this and want to give up, not the urge to go run away with Fiyero. That's how she's changed by Glinda 'for the better'. And we should't see wether she survives or not. 

 

1 hour ago, Morbidicity said:

I wonder if it would have been an event circa 2010 like it is today. Ariana's star power had a lot to do with the success of the movie. I think everything just fell into place when it did. 

well oz the great and powerful made almost $500M just off of the oz name

1 hour ago, youreyesgocold said:

Anyways Chu did an amazing job. That doesn't discredit Cameron's amazing works such as Titanic, Avatar, and Aliens. I just don't know if he would have done as good of a job with the material as Chu did in the end.

Girl the film looked like sh*t and some parts were giving SNL skit :deadbanana4:

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.