Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Electrolyte drink mixes: worth it or ripoff?

Are electrolyte drink mixes worth it? 12 members have voted

  1. 1. Are electrolyte drink mixes worth it?

    • Yes
      58%
      7
    • No
      41%
      5

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Electrolyte drink mixes like Liquid IV, LMNT, Drip Drop, and Ultima seem to have skyrocketed in popularity (in the US at least). And powered versions of Gatorade, Powerade, and Pedialyte continue to be popular too.
 

I've been curious about them since I've been getting back into running, but they seem like a ripoff when reading the ingredients. So many people swear by them though. So does ATRL think they're worth it or just a ripoff? 

I have always had bad headaches, and Liquid IV is a game changer for me. Having one with Advil instantly makes me feel better. 

1 minute ago, Beyonnaise said:

I have always had bad headaches, and Liquid IV is a game changer for me. Having one with Advil instantly makes me feel better. 

Are you sure it's not umm advil?

They can be great for electrolyte replacement after any sort of dehydration, but you have to make sure it's the proper balance of electrolytes. And they shouldn't be used for general hydration unless you've lost fluids via sweat, vomiting, or diarrhea
 

In school I was taught that Pedialyte is typically the best and I use its ratio of ingredients to compare the others 

6 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

Are you sure it's not umm advil?

No, Advil alone with water wasn't enough for me. I guess if we want to get technical the only thing missing in that equation was electrolytes (salt). But I don't really like Gatorade and it's easier to just have a packet to carry around and add to water. These packets didn't reinvent the wheel, no, but they fill a need for situations like mine.

 

Like the person above me said, Pedialyte is actually medical grade (what they have always given babies and kids in the hospital) and the best if you're truly dehydrated. When I got sun poisoning drinking Pedialyte was the only thing that made me feel better.

Edited by Beyonnaise

They work for me, just taste horrible and syrupy, but they do work when I need them :marshmallow:

they work for me, i get the electrolyte dissolving tablets you put in a drink, they come in a tube. im on mounjaro so i got them to help with dizzy spells and i love my electrolytes now.

 

HOWEVER they're not for everybody . i have a colleague who started on them based on my recommendation and for her they just gave her headaches 

 

its worth trying out though, they're cheap enough to do a trial run 

Isn't it just water with salt, sugar and lemon juice(Vit C). But more artificial. 

Only professional athletes need extra electrolytes. You have to be exercising (and sweating) a lot to need to substitute that in your diet. Water is sufficient for most people.

They are great for all the bottoms doing heavy douching before sex (which can throw off your electrolyte balance)

Yes, I drink liquid iv almost everyday. It's great because it's healthier than a soda and satisfies my desire for a sweet drink. And also, as someone who drink a lot of water, it helps me actually stay hydrated. If you drink a lot of water, you're pissing all the minerals like salt out, so ironically you end up dehydrated. Liquid IV still allows me to drink a lot of water but not feel dehydrated.

It can be good after a night of drinking or during and after a festival or when you're exercising intensely. I just buy the powdered one from Costco. 

I love my Liquid IV and LMNT mixes and have at least 1-2 daily. They are essential when you work out a lot, especially in the summer

elmo-shrug.gif I just buy them and use it hoping it provides whatever benefits it claims to have. It's one of those things where I really just dunno, but trusting in the process all the same. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.