Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Has 143 officially ended poptimism?

Featured Replies

There are tons of 143 threads here, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

 

While I thoroughly enjoyed TTPD, the reactions to it seemed to represent a significant shift. Critics seemed open to discussing its flaws, leading to discussions about the death of poptimism. That said, subsequent releases like SNS have been met with positive feedback, suggesting that poptimism was not entirely dead.

 

BUT: 143 is now here, and it's being dragged across almost every publication. Even RS, which almost always appears to be a paid mouthpiece, has panned the album.

 

So, does 143 officially mark the end of poptimism? If so, what happens next?

  • Replies 44
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Author
2 minutes ago, A-V-XYZ said:

No. Katy's always got bad reviews and never won Grammys.

But they've never been this bad…

Well, I think it so 

 

im so schocked to find out that Katy had been the ringleader, the masterpiece, the be MonaLisa of it all…

 

**** everything! Katy is awesome. She does not need to do Paris Hilton features to stay relevant. 

 

katheryn you will always be famous 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No. The album is receiving much better reviews than it deserves.

A Katy Perry album is not killing poptimism when she has been PANNED ever since her debut, before poptimism even became a thing :rip: 

  • Popular Post
15 minutes ago, hawx23 said:

There are tons of 143 threads here, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

it didn't 

Hopefully for good.

 

There's no way a f**king Miley Cyrus album should be released to critical acclaim lol.

 

 

was poptimism about lying to yourself or something? if an album's awful, then the album's awful. there's not much else to it. 

I love how some people are turning this into 'the albums underrated', 'poptimism is dead', 'this is because of the luke backlash'. Is it that hard to conceive that Katy released one of the worst albums of all time. I haven't even had the urge to listen to it again since Thursday. That's saying a lot because I always stream new pop girls albums atleast the first week. After that if it doesn't stick with me I move on. I did some chores around the house while listening to it 3 times and I felt more and more awful each and every time. The album in brain poison period. I've said this before but I literally felt myself going dumb noticing some of the worst lyrics Ive ever heard during each new listen. That on top of the lifeless vocal delivery and outdated all over the place production. Good luck turning this into a #JusticeforARTPOP situation. Nobody cares now. Let alone 10 years from now. This album will be seen as the end of KP as we know her. Mark my words. 

Katy was never liked by critics even during peak Poptimism. 

The 143 situation is mainly based on drama..

it's not about the music specifically, the songs aren't even bad.
Maybe it's more about the message (Women's empowerment, yet there is Dr Luke (an abuser) producing it), altho I still don't know if 1 wrong song warrants the whole album to be panned..

 

-and I'm saying this as someone who dislikes Katy's attitude and etc. I don't even care for most of her popular stuff that ATRL actually likes. but I personally just feel wrong to cheer on her downfall this way (at least in the Critics' aspect), since it reminds me of how people treated pop girls in the 00s without the Poptimism stuff..

 

 

 

23 minutes ago, BrattyBottom said:

Hopefully for good.

 

There's no way a f**king Miley Cyrus album should be released to critical acclaim lol.

 

 

Plastic Hearts is one of the best pop albums of the decade so far though!

2 minutes ago, Just a Gay on ATRL said:

Plastic Hearts is one of the best pop albums of the decade so far though!

Me when I lie 

Poptimism is about judging pop on its own standards rather than discrediting it for being pop.

143 was judged as a pop album, and it was judged fairly.

We been havin a big storm of pop releases this year and im grateful for that :heart: but so many albums are honestly very mid and half-cooked :gaycat4:  

Edited by AvadaKedavra

1 hour ago, hawx23 said:

There are tons of 143 threads here, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

 

While I thoroughly enjoyed TTPD, the reactions to it seemed to represent a significant shift. Critics seemed open to discussing its flaws, leading to discussions about the death of poptimism. That said, subsequent releases like SNS have been met with positive feedback, suggesting that poptimism was not entirely dead.

 

BUT: 143 is now here, and it's being dragged across almost every publication. Even RS, which almost always appears to be a paid mouthpiece, has panned the album.

 

So, does 143 officially mark the end of poptimism? If so, what happens next?

this is not even what poptimism is about... 

 

you clearly dont even understand the premise of poptimism itself. 

21 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Poptimism is about judging pop on its own standards rather than discrediting it for being pop.

143 was judged as a pop album, and it was judged fairly.

this 

No, Radical Optimism did even if it didn't deserve to.

 

143 only ended Katy's career for good. 

There's no MPG release soon that I know of atm, but if it is, it's going to be interesting to see did Katy really ended Poptimism.

 

next poppish big records are going to be Jelly Roll and Fineass  , but they all benefit from male privilege. maybe halsey but do not expect anything great.

 

2024 def was pop comeback, brat got the biggest acclaim, so if katy ruined it fr id be so mad 

 

 

Edited by sweetkiss

  • Author
38 minutes ago, ryoncé said:

this is not even what poptimism is about... 

 

you clearly dont even understand the premise of poptimism itself. 

I mean there's no clear definition.
 

I don't think poptimism is just judging pop for its own artistic merit. It goes above and beyond that to actually vaunt pop critically above other genres. (In terms of lyricism, production, complexity — there's no reason pop albums for example should dominate end of the year lists more than alternative or hip hop or R&B). Etc. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.