Did Taylor end poptimism?

Cloröx

I mean 1989 era started poptimism and since that pop genre are well-received by critics but TTPD changed the tide. Billie you are next :deadbanana4:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes. I say we put her on trial for MURDER

:rogue:

• Haha 1

Thankfully she did, now she can move onto soft rock or folk or back to country and leave some of ATRL's faves (that don't have the range to do anything but pop) get panned into oblivion. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Yes

Yes but not you believing poptimism started in 2014 :rip:

In a way, it's possible but not necessarily because of TTPD per say.

I think Taylor winning AOTY for Midnights which was a decent album but not AOTY material and the whole discourse around it made critics think twice about how their ratings and scores could affect those sort of outcomes. 

So, I think critics are now trying to become more balanced so that they're not seen as "paid off" or shills for the biggest pop stars. 

That's my own personal theory.

At the same time, though, we have to see how other pop albums are graded for the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

I mean 1989 era started poptimism TTPD changed the tide. 

Well no. Look up Robyn's Body Talk or Beyoncé's ST.

19 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

TTPD changed the tide.

Well yes!

• Like 1

Taylor didn't start anything :skull: 

But hopefully the part of her ending it will be true!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Well no. Look up Robyn's Body Talk or Beyoncé's ST.

Well yes!

Body Talk is an anomaly, it's not strong enough to consider as trend starter. ST is not pop album to begin with. 1989 started poptimism and multiple publications acknowledged it

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2014/dec/03/taylor-swift-poptimism

Edited by Cloröx
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I mean definitely deserved for giving us that PTSD album. 

The Tortured EARS Department more like :katie:

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

why do people think poptimism started with 1989 :rip: 

4 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

Body Talk is an anomaly, it's not strong enough to consider as trend starter. ST is not pop album to begin with. 1989 started poptimism and multiple publications acknowledged it

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2014/dec/03/taylor-swift-poptimism

Body Talk (which is still hailed by many as the best album of the whole decade) anomaly yada yada, ST (which is multi-genre including pop AND from a extremely mainstream artist, who was ALSO mentioned in that article you linked) is not pop yada yada.

Well unfortunately you don't get to skip the hoops and squeezed your way into whatever conclusions you want to hear like that's not how it works. Those articles aren't history records, they're (incorrect) opinions :ryan3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

She declared Dua Lipa should be a smaller artist

• Haha 11

2 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Body Talk (which is still hailed by many as the best album of the whole decade) anomaly yada yada, ST (which is multi-genre including pop AND from a extremely mainstream artist, who was ALSO mentioned in that article you linked) is not pop yada yada.

Well unfortunately you don't get to skip the hoops and squeezed your way into whatever conclusions you want to hear like that's not how it works. Those articles aren't history records, they're (incorrect) opinions :ryan3:

I'm sorry I rather believing The Guardian than an ATRL user with wrong opinion 

:ryan3:

• Like 1

It's poetic that the one who rebirthed poptism to reterminate it.

:ryan3:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What's poptimism? TTPD is still pop.

also yes the GP wants more raw, acoustic, instrumental songs now, over overproduced dance-pop. But at the end of the day it's still catchy pop music :michael: it's just more minimalist and raw. 

Edited by Raphy23
  • Thanks 1

Was poptimism a thing before 1989? Yes, but no one outside of the music criticism bubble gave a single **** :gaycat6: Body Talk was a very good album that no one outside the Scandinavian or LGBT circles was consuming. 1989 was the first mainstream pop album with widespread appeal and success that benefitted from poptimism, and it certainly made the concept of poptimism mainstream. There's a conversation to be had about 1989 opening the door for mainstream, artistic, post-recession pop but I know y'all won't listen so I won't bother :gaycat4:

Whether TTPD killed it or not remains to be seen, and Dua Lipa's album probably isn't reflective of any broader trends. Just as the critics dumped on TTPD for coming from such a big artist, RO is taking a beating because it's following up the biggest pop era of the decade thus far. We'll have to see where other upcoming pop albums land, but ES made out fine, and if poptimism was really dying, it probably would've received a very different reception. 

• Like 9

REALLY? When she's about to release reputation TV? :deadbanana4:

I blame Jack Antonoff!

• Haha 1

The duality of a woman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sometimes I feel like we need to sit down and discuss what poptimism really is

• Like 1

I guess it was about time as some reviews/scores were getting ridiculous, a shame that Dua had to be the first victim though.

Sabrina bought it back 

Once again, Miss Taylor will take all the blame and this time she will be hanged for miss Dua`s dud album

But it`s the Swifties who love to play victim 

chiliam

Yes. She's the Alpha, the Omega, and everything in between. Her and only her can create and destroy. And I'm not even joking. 

The gays trying to blame Taylor for the floppage of their faves for the 1989x time this week 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.