Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

9 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Popjustice insider gave some tea on the album…:allears:

  Reveal hidden contents

Was able to hear a bit of the record recently and have a few initial thoughts to spread some ~optimism~ to kick off the week. To start, what I heard sounds good! Some of it great even. If you've enjoyed the singles, you'll most likely enjoy the record as a whole. If you've felt a bit 'meh' thus far, well...it may not be for you.

I think some of her pre-release descriptions have been a bit misleading/set herself up for some of the criticisms that have been shared in this thread. Did I get "leaning towards psychedelic-pop influenced by UK rave culture" from what I heard? No. Is it straight-up Future Nostalgia vibes? Also no! It's, simply put, an upbeat pop album dd. In my mind, she's the 2020s Rihanna - the bops are bopping, the albums have enough to them that create their own individual sound, but at the end of the day, she's here to be a hitmaker.

I know Training Season was widely well-received here, but I don't think it should've been one of the pre-album singles. There's punchier material here that, while still may not be as instant as Don't Start Now or Levitating, has a bit more kick to them that I think could've fared better commercially, especially here in the US.

Prefacing that while I've not heard the entire record, there were a lot of interesting production flourishes that dominate the choruses of these tracks. Really fun synths that add nice dimension to otherwise straightforward pop tracks. I don't think the goal was to re-invent the wheel by any means, and having come off such a huge era, it must have been challenging to create a soundscape that diverges enough from her core sound to differentiate itself, but also keeps her GP-friendly and accessible. Did she succeed? Jury is a bit out based on first impressions.

Very much looking forward to hearing the full thing, but already claiming Whatcha Doing as a forum favorite.

 

Oooh this is interesting and honestly not too far off what I'd have expected. They might have hit the nail on the head with "she's the 2020s Rihanna", which is why the good sis @Relampago. is stanning her so hard :heart:

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 838.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

13 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Popjustice insider gave sone tea on the album…

  Reveal hidden contents

Was able to hear a bit of the record recently and have a few initial thoughts to spread some ~optimism~ to kick off the week. To start, what I heard sounds good! Some of it great even. If you've enjoyed the singles, you'll most likely enjoy the record as a whole. If you've felt a bit 'meh' thus far, well...it may not be for you.

I think some of her pre-release descriptions have been a bit misleading/set herself up for some of the criticisms that have been shared in this thread. Did I get "leaning towards psychedelic-pop influenced by UK rave culture" from what I heard? No. Is it straight-up Future Nostalgia vibes? Also no! It's, simply put, an upbeat pop album dd. In my mind, she's the 2020s Rihanna - the bops are bopping, the albums have enough to them that create their own individual sound, but at the end of the day, she's here to be a hitmaker.

I know Training Season was widely well-received here, but I don't think it should've been one of the pre-album singles. There's punchier material here that, while still may not be as instant as Don't Start Now or Levitating, has a bit more kick to them that I think could've fared better commercially, especially here in the US.

Prefacing that while I've not heard the entire record, there were a lot of interesting production flourishes that dominate the choruses of these tracks. Really fun synths that add nice dimension to otherwise straightforward pop tracks. I don't think the goal was to re-invent the wheel by any means, and having come off such a huge era, it must have been challenging to create a soundscape that diverges enough from her core sound to differentiate itself, but also keeps her GP-friendly and accessible. Did she succeed? Jury is a bit out based on first impressions.

Very much looking forward to hearing the full thing, but already claiming Whatcha Doing as a forum favorite.

 

Yeah I guess her descriptions were misleading but wtv, we got that already from the released singles :coffee2:

We are 10 days from one of the three albums of the year (the others are Beyonce and Ariana). :duca:

The way I CALLED Whatcha Doing becoming the Levitating off this album :ahh:

1 hour ago, Hephaestus said:

Good point. I got it from her official store and there it says "orders containing this product will be dispatched in line with the advertised release date", so I guess I'm not getting it in time for May 3rd :gaycat6:

Yeah I got the alternative cover from her official store so I assume they will start shipping within next week depending on a country of destination.

1 hour ago, spiritboy said:

We are 10 days from one of the three albums of the year (the others are Beyonce and Ariana). :duca:

Confused Thinking GIF more like 7 days 

If it doesn't chicken then we will have a lot of uplaods on youtube from the listening party in NY tomorrow

33 minutes ago, katara said:

If it doesn't chicken then we will have a lot of uplaods on youtube from the listening party in NY tomorrow

Well they should prohibit to take phones in, in that case

14 minutes ago, mike_int said:

Well they should prohibit to take phones in, in that case

Good luck with bookin that ban you speak of

3 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Popjustice insider gave some tea on the album…:allears:

  Reveal hidden contents

Was able to hear a bit of the record recently and have a few initial thoughts to spread some ~optimism~ to kick off the week. To start, what I heard sounds good! Some of it great even. If you've enjoyed the singles, you'll most likely enjoy the record as a whole. If you've felt a bit 'meh' thus far, well...it may not be for you.

I think some of her pre-release descriptions have been a bit misleading/set herself up for some of the criticisms that have been shared in this thread. Did I get "leaning towards psychedelic-pop influenced by UK rave culture" from what I heard? No. Is it straight-up Future Nostalgia vibes? Also no! It's, simply put, an upbeat pop album dd. In my mind, she's the 2020s Rihanna - the bops are bopping, the albums have enough to them that create their own individual sound, but at the end of the day, she's here to be a hitmaker.

I know Training Season was widely well-received here, but I don't think it should've been one of the pre-album singles. There's punchier material here that, while still may not be as instant as Don't Start Now or Levitating, has a bit more kick to them that I think could've fared better commercially, especially here in the US.

Prefacing that while I've not heard the entire record, there were a lot of interesting production flourishes that dominate the choruses of these tracks. Really fun synths that add nice dimension to otherwise straightforward pop tracks. I don't think the goal was to re-invent the wheel by any means, and having come off such a huge era, it must have been challenging to create a soundscape that diverges enough from her core sound to differentiate itself, but also keeps her GP-friendly and accessible. Did she succeed? Jury is a bit out based on first impressions.

Very much looking forward to hearing the full thing, but already claiming Whatcha Doing as a forum favorite.

 

Sorry not sorry, but this isn't "tea". This is an informationally empty impression from someone who's heard part of the album. Literally just a bunch of words and no details

Edited by sneakyishere

I'm off on Friday so I can spend the entire night + day soaking up the album ugh AOTY is NEARRRR :jonny5:

Only if she did disco for Radical Optimism, like people said maybe she'd have a hit. Oh, Illusion you're bones…

 

What happened to Houdini and TS. both used to do like 2.4M, 2.3M daily just like a few weeks ago

 

 

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

10 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

What happened to Houdini and TS. both used to do like 2.4M, 2.3M daily just like a few weeks ago

 

 

Yeah they kinda dropped off hard during the past days. Maybe due to Torture or playlist changes or something like that.

I just know this will sound samey but we can call it cohesion :rainbow:

punchier choruses with synths sounds like a dream :jonny6: i literally can't wait and at the same time i can't believe it's so close 

10 hours ago, RadioactiveLights said:

Yeah, her deluxe albums lose the vision of the original record.

DL1 barely had a vision anyway but there were so many songs on FN that almost made it multiple times (specially borderline and ball & chain) and given the og album was so short she could've given us 9 new solo tracks 

2 hours ago, katara said:

Good luck with bookin that ban you speak of

In many events you are not allow to take phones in and they collect them and put them in a plastic bag before you get in and open when you are leaving.

 

Personally I couldnt care less even if the album leak today

59 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

What happened to Houdini and TS. both used to do like 2.4M, 2.3M daily just like a few weeks ago

 

 

It's over :rip:

1 hour ago, LykkeLi said:

I just know this will sound samey but we can call it cohesion :rainbow:

Because Houdini, TS and Illusion all sound the same, right? :rainbow:

Edited by sneakyishere

6 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Popjustice insider gave some tea on the album…:allears:

  Hide contents

Was able to hear a bit of the record recently and have a few initial thoughts to spread some ~optimism~ to kick off the week. To start, what I heard sounds good! Some of it great even. If you've enjoyed the singles, you'll most likely enjoy the record as a whole. If you've felt a bit 'meh' thus far, well...it may not be for you.

I think some of her pre-release descriptions have been a bit misleading/set herself up for some of the criticisms that have been shared in this thread. Did I get "leaning towards psychedelic-pop influenced by UK rave culture" from what I heard? No. Is it straight-up Future Nostalgia vibes? Also no! It's, simply put, an upbeat pop album dd. In my mind, she's the 2020s Rihanna - the bops are bopping, the albums have enough to them that create their own individual sound, but at the end of the day, she's here to be a hitmaker.

I know Training Season was widely well-received here, but I don't think it should've been one of the pre-album singles. There's punchier material here that, while still may not be as instant as Don't Start Now or Levitating, has a bit more kick to them that I think could've fared better commercially, especially here in the US.

Prefacing that while I've not heard the entire record, there were a lot of interesting production flourishes that dominate the choruses of these tracks. Really fun synths that add nice dimension to otherwise straightforward pop tracks. I don't think the goal was to re-invent the wheel by any means, and having come off such a huge era, it must have been challenging to create a soundscape that diverges enough from her core sound to differentiate itself, but also keeps her GP-friendly and accessible. Did she succeed? Jury is a bit out based on first impressions.

Very much looking forward to hearing the full thing, but already claiming Whatcha Doing as a forum favorite.

 

This sounds like she should've just shut her mouth hyping up this 'drastic soundscape switch' 'psychedelic influences' '90s UK band inspiration' bs 

The tea sounds like I'll love the album but it also sounds like this era is done and those who keep criticizing it won't be convinced by the full thing at all :rip: 

 

We'll keep this album as a fan fave but I hope she plans to release again no later than early 2026 with a cleaner rollout. No descriptions that will haunt the era from the beginning, make it a quicker pre-album release so there isn't time to give misleading descriptions.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.