Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Why did Perfect Illusion perform so poorly?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 118
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

2 minutes ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

first of all we need to stop acting like Joanne was a bad album. She was in her country-rock bag and did great.

 

Yet Perfect Illusion was a weak lead- probably her weakest and thats saying something considering she created Stupid Love like four years after. it wasnt pop enough to do well on radio and Gaga's last era showed her popularity was already slipping so the fact that it even debuted top 20 was a miracle looking back. "Million Reasons" was the album highlight and should have been dropped as the lead instead.

:clap3: Especially the Joanne slander. It’s actually a solid album. 

What if the real illusion was her flopping? Did Gaga really win after all? Think about it. 

Because it’s a Gaga song released in 2016 that did not even attempt to follow any trends.

 

And I don’t think smash hits were Gaga’s goal with Joanne, look at the material, she was clearly still repairing her image after the Artpop era. In hindsight it worked out and bled into the Star Is Born era nicely. Joanne really worked out in the end for her even if the fans loathe it.

Terrible lead singles, you name it:

 

Applause

Perfect illusion

Stupid love

 

Lmao

 

If she'd have released these the story could've been different:

 

Manicure

A-Yo

Free Woman

 

 

 

 

 

It was a bad lead single choice. I like the song though and love the key change.

 

I'd have released A-Yo or Dancin' In Circles instead. Opening an era with "Hereeee we goooo" would've been cool.

Edited by Gelato

20 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Her autistic or more serious/less dance pop material usually does not do good. Shallow was an expectation because it received a major boost from the movie.

jail

 

:khalyan2:

4 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

How can I shut notifications for that post? 5 quotes already. :priceless:

It's because you said ''autistic'' instead of ''artistic'', sis. :redface:

3 minutes ago, AMIT said:

It's because you said ''autistic'' instead of ''artistic'', sis. :redface:

Oh now I get it. :ahh:Actually I meant to say acoustic but mixed it up. 

Edited by Aristotle

25 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

 

 

I wrote only autistic first than changed it to add "less dance pop" after actually listening to the song to include both types so you get the idea, it applies to both even if PI is not autistic. I don't even remember what the song was and I am not going to listen to it again. 

fadfasdfadsfasd the fact you didn't realize you misspelled "ACOUSTIC", sis :redface:

3 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Oh now I get it. :ahh:Actually I meant to say acoustic but mixed it up. 

Mess. :dies:

4 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

fadfasdfadsfasd the fact you didn't realize you misspelled "ACOUSTIC", sis :redface:

 

I am not a native english speaker and I know what autism is which makes it even worse. :rip: I know someone who struggles with it and he talked to me a lot so definitely that kinda made me mix it up.

Gaga's torturing raw vocal is the reason. The instrumental is really good.

4 minutes ago, Trash said:

Her fanbase desperately wanted Ma ma Pa pa (Perfect Illusion) to be real

Oops I forgot about that iconic bop :deadbanana2: It apparently overshadowed PI :ahh:

 

 

It was her first solo single after… ARTPOP. Nothing she would’ve released instead would’ve done much better. It was just a stepping stone into fixing her image to the GP.

the song was overhyped. literally every radio station called it her next #1 hit,… only for it to peak at #15

36 minutes ago, nostalgic said:

What if the real illusion was her flopping? Did Gaga really win after all? Think about it. 

Msj3BnA.gif

It was released in a wrong time. If she released it in 2019 as a lead single after ASIB, it would have done much better.

 

I consider it as one of her best songs.

6 minutes ago, Ron Ng said:

Oops I forgot about that iconic bop :deadbanana2: It apparently overshadowed PI :ahh:

 

 

 

All I've gotta say is that its not a coincidence her ex manager left her and immediately worked at spotify, and the second he left spotify she started smashing with ASIB. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.