Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
The New Releases 💿

Does ATRL Prefer Alternative/Songwriters Nowadays?

Featured Replies

ATRL does not prefer any specific thing. Monoculture is as dead as a dodo. Everyone can curate their own listening experience on Spotify and live peacefully in their own bubble in blissful ignorance of everything that they don't like.

Monoculture also narrows the field of vision. When a person is obsessed with an artist('s music), he/she tends to perceive that artist to be more popular than the artist really is and disregards what he/she dislikes as "bad", "boring".

Carly Rae Jepsen is a prime example of this. She is the biggest artist in the world to her fans but outside of her niche fanbase, the GP don't even know who she is.

Poetess and Foot Stompstress Florence Welch, the Lyricist of our generation. 

umm not really this forum is mostly focused on pop girls 

 

But there's a younger generation of people who are interested in Alt music (resurgence of vinyls, cassette, alt twitter)

I think is half and half.
Half stan alternative artists and bands and the other one stan mainstream one-the most popular ones :giraffe:

No. The songwriter stans are just are a really loud annoying minority

I prefer both

 

Not all songrwiters music is considered alt 

Edited by Insanity

Tbh i think many members on here just have the avi or handle of a popular artist but loads of us actually listen to all sorts of music. In real life I'm an avid indie rock collector and love alternative rock music. I also love r&b and 70s disco / funk music and arabic music. But beyond that i unapologetically LOVE pop music as well and loads of contemporary pop and dance music. I think it would be hard for me to say I actually prefer anything because basically, I just love music that sounds good to me. I really dont care who the artist is or what they represent.

No. Once somebody smashes with thoughtless dance pop everybody will pretend this era never happened.

12 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Tbh i think many members on here just have the avi or handle of a popular artist but loads of us actually listen to all sorts of music. In real life I'm an avid indie rock collector and love alternative rock music. I also love r&b and 70s disco / funk music and arabic music. But beyond that i unapologetically LOVE pop music as well and loads of contemporary pop and dance music. I think it would be hard for me to say I actually prefer anything because basically, I just love music that sounds good to me. I really dont care who the artist is or what they represent.

:clap3:

19 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Tbh i think many members on here just have the avi or handle of a popular artist but loads of us actually listen to all sorts of music. In real life I'm an avid indie rock collector and love alternative rock music. I also love r&b and 70s disco / funk music and arabic music. But beyond that i unapologetically LOVE pop music as well and loads of contemporary pop and dance music. I think it would be hard for me to say I actually prefer anything because basically, I just love music that sounds good to me. I really dont care who the artist is or what they represent.

This makes me reconsider my assumption that the majority of the memberbase listens to the same handful of artists exclusively, that all reside in the same soundscape. 

no atrl stans charts, critics, trophies and apparently banks

 

no on in the real world cares about writing just as much as they don’t care about dancing. or else they would be in lecture class and not at a concert

 

it’s the herd mentality 

Yes that's why we must all stan Michelle Branch :clap3:

Served self-written alt rock in 2001!

 

 

no, half of the alt stans on here are fake and stan anything with a high MC score

 

like that halsey stan that has bjork in their sig

7 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

no, half of the alt stans on here are fake and stan anything with a high MC score

 

like that halsey stan that has bjork in their sig

Acclaim

Trophies

Republican

Leeches

  • Author
2 hours ago, Insanity said:

Plus are you saying that MPB/G cannot be songwriters?

I was just referring to "singer-songwriter"-type of music with it. It doesn't mean our girls and guys can't be songwriters.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.