Doja Cat - "Attention"

kikugalanet

1 hour ago, barbiegrande said:

The verse sounds good af

yeah the more i listen to this, the more old doja freestyling in a car while zooted vibes i'm getting and its growing on me 

• Like 3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex

• professor2000

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Lightbringer007

58 minutes ago, hotterthanhell said:

exactly. it's just the stans who are used to her pop/raps complaining. mind you doja started out as a rapper before she went to pop. you can clearly see who's a real fan. 

Kinda.  

I’m one of her original fans, started following her shortly after Purrr EP. 

However, I do worry it might be a regression to do boom bap at this point in her career…because she’s known for being eclectic now.  I feel like this might box her in too much.  

I was hoping she’d be more experimental with this album too (genre-wise).  It doesn’t even need to be full on Pop.  

I know she can make it sound good.  I just wish the boom bap album happened earlier in her career.  

But we’ll see.  

Spoiler

Annnddddd she’s still not on good terms with Black audience, so idk what’s gonna happen on radio (given Pop + Rhythmic are her top formats).  But that’s one of my lesser concerns.  Because commercial performance is not everything.   

51 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

Kinda.  

I’m one of her original fans, started following her shortly after Purrr EP. 

However, I do worry it might be a regression to do boom bap at this point in her career…because she’s known for being eclectic now.  I feel like this might box her in too much.  

I was hoping she’d be more experimental with this album too (genre-wise).  It doesn’t even need to be full on Pop.  

I know she can make it sound good.  I just wish the boom bap album happened earlier in her career.  

But we’ll see.  

Reveal hidden contents

Annnddddd she’s still not on good terms with Black audience, so idk what’s gonna happen on radio (given Pop + Rhythmic are her top formats).  But that’s one of my lesser concerns.  Because commercial performance is not everything.   

I think she can still be experimental on rap records. We've heard a snippet that was sort of jazz/rap. Plus she's still singing on the album. I don’t think this will box her in honestly because everyone who knows Doja knows she's one of, if not the most versatile artists of this generation. Dare I say of all time?

Yeah this type of album would've been nice to have earlier on in her career but it didn't happen. Mainly because RCA didn't know what to market her as. First they wanted her to be a R&B girl, then the experimental girl, then once "Say So" blew up they marketed her as a Pop girl. Now she's giving them hits from multiple genres and they're letting her make what she wants. I think she's been wanting to make this type of album but was never able to.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm really excited for this. I want her to finally explode and become the megastar she can be.

43 minutes ago, Superbitch said:

What are doja peaks on urban radio?

I don’t remember specifically…but I believe Juicy was her last “biggest” hit on the format.  :gaycat6:

2 hours ago, hotterthanhell said:

I think she can still be experimental on rap records. We've heard a snippet that was sort of jazz/rap. Plus she's still singing on the album. I don’t think this will box her in honestly because everyone who knows Doja knows she's one of, if not the most versatile artists of this generation. Dare I say of all time?

Yeah this type of album would've been nice to have earlier on in her career but it didn't happen. Mainly because RCA didn't know what to market her as. First they wanted her to be a R&B girl, then the experimental girl, then once "Say So" blew up they marketed her as a Pop girl. Now she's giving them hits from multiple genres and they're letting her make what she wants. I think she's been wanting to make this type of album but was never able to.

We shall see!  I think I just got in my mind a different type of Rap record.  But I’m sure it’ll still be good either way.  

1 hour ago, professor2000 said:

I don’t remember specifically…but I believe Juicy was her last “biggest” hit on the format.  :gaycat6:

Omg they didn’t play her stuff much after that? Damn that’s weird.  Juicy is a slay tho. That’s how I got into her.

2 hours ago, Superbitch said:

What are doja peaks on urban radio?

#7 Juicy

#7 Best Friend

#18 Pu**y Talk

#20 You Right

#22 Freaky Deeky

#26 Handstand
#43 Like That

#44 Streets

#46 Need to Know

#50 I Like You

credit to Pulse Music Board 

Urban’s not completely anti-Doja. When it’s a straight rap record/verse or not too Pop influenced, they get behind it.

Planet Her only yielded You Right for its R&B vibe, but that was a Pop/Rap oriented record in general. I think if she does lean into rap-heavy tracks, they would spin her regularly. Her features usually get her to a decent enough level given she’s not the usual style for the format.

Edited by Rico Shameless v2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rico Shameless v2 said:

#7 Juicy

#7 Best Friend

#18 Pu**y Talk

#20 You Right

#22 Freaky Deeky

#26 Handstand
#43 Like That

#44 Streets

#46 Need to Know

#50 I Like You

Urban’s not completely anti-Doja. When it’s a straight rap record/verse or not too Pop influenced, they get behind it.

Planet Her only yielded You Right for its R&B vibe, but that was a Pop/Rap oriented record in general. I think if she does lean into rap-heavy tracks, they would spin her regularly. Her features usually get her to a decent enough level given she’s not the usual style for the format.

Wow. I never bothered to check her urban stats cuz she was always slaying radio anyways. Yeah I’m sure they’ll support if it’s rap for the next era but still kinda crazy some of those songs peaked so low when there’s some songs that are pop rap that have peaked higher… even say so not charting is crazy since it was massive when even songs by Justin beiber have charted on urban. lol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superbitch said:

Wow. I never bothered to check her urban stats cuz she was always slaying radio anyways. Yeah I’m sure they’ll support if it’s rap for the next era but still kinda crazy some of those songs peaked so low when there’s some songs that are pop rap that have peaked higher… even say so not charting is crazy since it was massive when even songs by Justin beiber have charted on urban. lol 

Yeah some people really built their cred to regularly cross over there lol.

I feel they missed an opportunity with Ain’t Sh*t and not sending to Urban alone; even as just a radio single. That would’ve opened a window for her there.

• Like 1

i hope this album is her first majorly acclaimed piece of work (if we’re trading off commercial success)… a boy can dream

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, masochizm said:

i hope this album is her first majorly acclaimed piece of work (if we’re trading off commercial success)… a boy can dream

I believe she is fully capable of making a real cohesive body of work that doesn't seem gimmicky. she just needs to find her sound. if she didnt find it on this album she can always do it on the next. shes very young still

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I believe she is fully capable of making a real cohesive body of work that doesn't seem gimmicky. she just needs to find her sound. if she didnt find it on this album she can always do it on the next. shes very young still

oh absolutely, i always saw her transitioning this way and focusing on creating bodies of work - but not so early on in her career (wish she established touring power during her peak)

i expected another commercial smash of an album but now i think about it i’m not too mad

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rico Shameless v2 said:

#7 Juicy

#7 Best Friend

#18 Pu**y Talk

#20 You Right

#22 Freaky Deeky

#26 Handstand
#43 Like That

#44 Streets

#46 Need to Know

#50 I Like You

credit to Pulse Music Board 

RCA deserves HELL for not pushing Streets on radio. That was her urban top 5 AND classic right there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Truth Teller said:

RCA deserves HELL for not pushing Streets on radio. That was her urban top 5 AND classic right there

The fact they were ready for Planet Her era while Streets smashed out of nowhere.

I was so torn about it !

IDK if this gives lead from what I’ve heard but it would be a really good opening track, but she can release it anyhow :duca: 

this will flop. come on yall, yall know that this will not work for the GP. come on this is an album track at most. not a single

• Like 1

lets goooo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.