Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!! 🎧💿

are you mentally ill?

are you mentally ill? 77 members have voted

  1. 1. are you mentally ill?

  2. 2. are you hopeful for the future?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Replies 46
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes! I was diagnosed very early as someone from the autistic spectrum, I suffer from clinical depression and also chronic insomnia.

 

it gets worse every day but at least I can serve face pretty much any day so that makes it 5% better

tumblr_36fe2a42be7e176972c9590dc9f279cb_4bf78ac4_400.thumb.gif.a7f295b60cd2089fcf3dc8590df1c73f.gif

14 hours ago, Pikachoo said:

I do not suffer from depression, or autism, or any other mental illness.

Autism is not a mental illness, but a neurodevelopmental condition...

 

OT: No, I'm not mentally ill and I'm grateful for it.

u have to be mentally ill to wanna be on this forum

 

ot: yeah, ive got c-ptsd, am a cluster b personality (bpd, aspd, npd, hpd). 

Edited by sickening

On 4/12/2023 at 1:25 AM, zasderfght said:

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Mild-to-Moderate Depression by a psychiatrist a few years ago, and I agree with her diagnosis. 

 

I have to admit, it surprises and saddens me that some people in an ATRL forum said having a mental illness would be an automatic dealbreaker for dating/relationships. For all you know, you could have the symptoms of a mental illness and potentially go years/decades/some time without being diagnosed with one. For all you know, your friends and/or family could have a mental illness, and you might not even know it.

 

Having a mental illness doesn't mean you're weak. It doesn't mean you're crazy or weird. It just means that your brain operates differently than someone without a mental illness. We should look at mental illness at how we look at physical illness in the sense we wouldn't shame someone for needing medication for diabetes or high blood pressure. We wouldn't tell that person to "get over it." 

 

Moreover, there are tons of people who have a mental illness or mental illnesses that manage it just fine with diet, exercise, drugs, supplements, and/or therapy. Would these people be a dealbreaker for you? 

 

While I used to refuse medication, I now know, at least at this point in my life, it is absolutely necessary. At the very least I need to be on Sertraline/Zoloft 50mg. I got my thyroid checked, vitamins checked, any test I got for any ache/pain has come back negative for a bacterial culture and/or STI, so I truly believe my chronic pain was from having anxiety and depression that wasn't properly managed. When I was on Zoloft for 6 months, I truly felt "normal" again. Therapy, also, can only go so far. It has its place, and I need to put more of the work in. I also probably need the occasional benzo, such as Alprazolam/Xanax 0.5mg or Diazepam/Valium 5-10mg, because while Zoloft has worked amazingly, I sometimes get anxiety and/or panic attacks, and anyone who's experienced these, know that you feel like you're absolutely dying. 

 

I know this was a lengthy post to a very simple question, and I'm not a licensed healthcare professional, but I hope this post encourages people to look at mental illness differently and know that if you're struggling, there are options, and you are not weak or crazy for needing them. 

Interesting post, ty.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:02 AM, John Slayne said:

Autism is not a mental illness, but a neurodevelopmental condition...

 

OT: No, I'm not mentally ill and I'm grateful for it.

Thank you for this! Not many people know autism spectrum disorder is a neurodevelopment condition. 

Yes I can’t stop thinking about boys and hot dogs.

Edited by CrimsonX

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.