Post shocking chart facts

bocelli

In the 1960's The Beatles and The Supremes scored 20 and 12 #1 hits respectively, making them the #1 and #2 artists of the decade in the US.

In 1969, The Supremes, now called Diana Ross & the Supremes, scored the final #1 hit of the 1960's with "Someday We'll Be Together". The next month in January of 1970, Diana officially left the group. That September she'd score her first solo #1 hit with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

In 1970, The Beatles scored their 2 final #1 hits, Let It Be and The Long & Winding Road, and at the end of the year George Harrison became the first Beatle to go #1 as a solo with "My Sweet Lord".

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bocelli

• Julia Fox

• slw84

• Enoch

2 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

For me Cher is on a Grace Jones level: just one or two classic, forgotten hits but respected icons x

What the hell!?

Cher is a groundbreaking icon that had massive hits during the 60s, 70s, 80s and the 90s. She also had a ton of acclaim as an actress, won an Oscar. Is considered a legend by pretty much everyone. 

Grace Jones is only known for her fashion and thats about it. How can you even put them in the same sentance is beyond me :rip:

Thriller was the #1 album of both 1983 AND 1984 in the United States, which is crazy because in 1984 Prince put out Purple Rain, Lionel Richie put out Can't Slow Down and Bruce Springsteen put out Born in the USA, all 3 of which are diamond selling albums.

7 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

James Brown, has more #1 hits on the R&B charts that any other artist, but only made it as high as #3 on the Hot 100with his 1965 single, I Got You (I Feel Good).

Bob Dylan never scored a Hot 100 #1 hit. Made it to #2 once however.

Creedence Clearwater Revival never scored a #1 hit, but have 5 #2 hits on the Hot 100, all scored between 1969-1970.

En Vogue never scored a #1 hit, their Trinity of hits (Hold On, My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) and Don't Let Go (Love)) all peaked at #2 on the Hot 100.

Aretha Franklin scored 2 #1 hits, Respect in 1967 and I Knew You We're Waiting For Me, a collaboration with George Michael, 29 years later in 1987.

Madonna has 6 #2 hits, more than any other artist in Billboard History.

Of their 5 #1 hits, only 2 of them by Boyz II Men didn't sit at #1 for more than 12 weeks.

Patsy Cline's I Fall to Pieces peaked at #12 on the Hot 100, but was the #2 song of 1961 on the YE Chart.

Camila has more #1s than Bob Dylan? :gaycat2:

2 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

What the hell!?

Cher is a groundbreaking icon that had massive hits during the 60s, 70s, 80s and the 90s. She also had a ton of acclaim as an actress, won an Oscar. Is considered a legend by pretty much everyone. 

Grace Jones is only known for her fashion and thats about it. How can you even put them in the same sentance is beyond me :rip:

Grace is also an actress, acclaimed or not she was getting a lot of roles just because her persona and her icon status, also her fashion, music and vision of life were always very talked and known and she always went viral for some interview and ****… also she had hits and influence a lot of artists to this day like Gaga, Kylie, Miley and Rihanna, let’s not act like she’s just a fashion girl…

if you want everyone to respect Cher, maybe you have to respect Grace tho 

Edited by Julia Fox

Before Madonna, Diana Ross was the most successful American woman on the music charts in both the US and Europe. She'd scored more hits in the UK than any woman artist, and in 1993 made Guinness for being the most successful woman in music.

Her final Top 10 single in the UK was in 2005, and her first with The Supremes was 1964's Baby Love, which was the first Motown single to make #1 in the UK.

Shania Twain never having a #1 single shocked me 

1 minute ago, Julia Fox said:

Grace is also an actress, acclaimed or not she was getting a lot of roles just because her persona and her icon status, also her fashion, music and vision of life were always very talked and known and she always went viral for some interview and ****… also she had hits and influence a lot of artists to this day like Gaga, Kylie, Miley and Rihanna, let’s not act like she’s just a fashion girl…

if you want to respect Cher, maybe you have to respect Grace tho 

Grace Jones's discography in the US (from highest charting album)

OUT

Are you really surprised I wasn't aware of her music? :doc:

The week Whitney Houston was born in 1963, Stevie Wonder had the #1 song in America with Fingertips Part 1.

22 years later in 1985, when Whitney scored her first #1 hit with Saving All My Love For You, it was Stevie Wonder who unseated her at the top spot with his single Part Time Lover. 

Just now, Hot Volcano said:

Grace Jones's discography in the US (from highest charting album)

OUT

Are you really surprised I wasn't aware of her music? :doc:

She was bigger on LatAm though and that’s where I come from 

1 minute ago, Planet Mars said:

The week Whitney Houston was born in 1963, Stevie Wonder had the #1 song in America with Fingertips Part 1.

22 years later in 1985, when Whitney scored her first #1 hit with Saving All My Love For You, it was Stevie Wonder who unseated her at the top spot with his single Part Time Lover. 

Not 22 years

ezgif-6-5ed2a6b2c1.png

49 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

Brit Spears didn’t actually have a radio ban in the early 00’s, but her singles just weren’t popular and weren’t consumed enough to go top 10

A "ban" isn't the right word, but Clear Channel absolutely did restrict her airplay in protest of her tour sponsorship. Denying that is just delusional obsessive hater behavior :rip:

54 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Taylor Swift hasnt left the BB200 chart since 2007

I actually think there was a couple weeks in 2017 where she was not charting, before she put her music on Spotify.  But nonetheless, insanely impressive that in a 16 year career she has only left the BB200 for a couple weeks.  

12 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

LatAm though and that’s where I come from 

Oh now i understand where you're coming from with those takes

Always the People outside the USA who think they can dictate what's popular :laugh:

1 hour ago, Julia Fox said:

-Britney doesn’t have a BB YEC Hot 100 single since 1999

Scream & Shout was #23 on the 2013 YEC so this is false :mandown:

Solo her last YEC entry was 2011 with I Wanna Go at #46 :mandown:

Get your facts straight :cm:

31 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

For me Cher is on a Grace Jones level: just one or two classic, forgotten hits but respected icons x

Girl :rip: I love Grace but c'mon. This is severely delusional

44 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Also, "Bootylicious" was the last song by a girl group to go #1 on the Hot 100. Yup, since 2001 there has been no other song by a girl group to achieve this.

Wait are you serious I didn’t realize that. Survivor was that album! ??????

There was a thread like this on ATRL few years, where someone posted Britney doesn't have #1 album in UK. I was really shocked by it, so I looked into her other country peaks, I was very surprised to see:

She doesn't have #1 in NZ either

Only one #1 in Aus, Italy and maybe some other countries. 

1 hour ago, Love Again said:

Taylor Swift hasnt left the BB200 chart since 2007

She actually has for a few weeks back in 2014: Red was really successful but it kinda fell off pretty early on the charts and then saw a resurgence again thanks to 1989.

And again in 2017: Her not being on streaming finally caught up to her lol

1 hour ago, Alak96 said:

- Despite having two non-solo #1s, the last time Karla Cabello toured on her own was when Covid didn't even exist (and her label didn't disclose the tour numbers :eek:)

ezgif-6-5ed2a6b2c1.png

Camilla Cabello fans keeping track.

I think the most shocking chart fact is that the Legend Cher's biggest album in the US only went 4x platinum and not even 4M in pure sales.

For all that longevity and hits that we all know I just find it shocking.

Im sorry but Chers success is completely blown out of proportion. She has only a dozen Top 10 hits and her biggest album is only 4x platinum, yet people on here act like she is THAT b*tch. Even Nicki has more Top10s than her

i4vigWw.gif

Edited by bocelli

1 hour ago, Julia Fox said:

-Britney doesn’t have a BB YEC Hot 100 single since 1999

?

2000: From the Bottom of My Broken Heart, Oops!... I Did It Again

2004: Toxic, Everytime

2008: Piece of Me, Womanizer

2009: Womanizer, Circus, If U Seek Amy, 3

2010: 3
2011: Hold It Against Me, Till the World Ends, I Wanna Go

2013: Scream & Shout

44 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

Stevie got his first no.1 at 13 years old? :rip:

47 Years Ago , in March 1975 , Janet Jackson appeared on national TV , on "Cher" -   Cher's CBS Variety Show. 

As far as I know this was Janet's first national TV appearance. 

I know this post isn't Chart Related per say, but Janet Cher  Barbra Streisand Diana Ross and others have what I Music and More careers. They always did Music and  much more 

Edited by MichaelW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.