STOP IT with the (Insert Act) During (Artist) Concert Threads

Post shocking chart facts

bocelli

On 6/17/2022 at 6:34 PM, Planet Mars said:

In the 1960's The Beatles and The Supremes scored 20 and 12 #1 hits respectively, making them the #1 and #2 artists of the decade in the US.

In 1969, The Supremes, now called Diana Ross & the Supremes, scored the final #1 hit of the 1960's with "Someday We'll Be Together". The next month in January of 1970, Diana officially left the group. That September she'd score her first solo #1 hit with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

In 1970, The Beatles scored their 2 final #1 hits, Let It Be and The Long & Winding Road, and at the end of the year George Harrison became the first Beatle to go #1 as a solo with "My Sweet Lord".

So this brings up another shocking fact...

The Beatles are the best selling act of all time off of 7 years of an active career. Before I became a chart geek I didn't know they only slayed for less than a decade worth of material but different generations get new repacking for instance when i was in high school they released a GH in CD format and it went diamond for stans and my generation to get into.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bocelli

• Julia Fox

• slw84

• Enoch

6 hours ago, Steve Johnson said:

Rihanna has spent only 3 weeks at #1 on billboard 200. Only 2 of her 8 albums have managed to hit #1 on billboard 200 :deadbanana2:

Wait what? Is this correct? This seems weird 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:51 AM, Inverted said:

Paula Abdul has 6 consecutive #1 singles:

- Straight Up

- Forever Your Girl

- Cold Hearted Snake

- Opposites Attract 

- Rush Rush

- The Promise of a New Day

You don't count the re-release of It's Just The Way That You Love Me which peaked at #3? Or Knocked Out's re-release?

Edited by Hector

Just now, Breathe On Moi said:

Wait what? Is this correct? This seems weird 

nHPck0T.png

On 6/17/2022 at 11:57 PM, worldwide angel said:

janet having the longest running (and i think second longest running) number one song in the jackson family with thats the way love goes and all for you

She's also the first female artists in history to score #1 albums and songs in 3 decades.

Followed by Britney Spears and Madonna...soon Beyonce will join the list and at some point Mariah will round out the top 5. Others will have to wait until 2030s.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:51 AM, Inverted said:

Paula Abdul has 6 consecutive #1 singles:

- Straight Up

- Forever Your Girl

- Cold Hearted Snake

- Opposites Attract 

- Rush Rush

- The Promise of a New Day

She is the first artist to achieve four #1 singles on the Hot 100 from a debut album. 

Paula Abdul's debut album Forever Your Girl took a whopping 63 weeks to reach #1.  It still holds the record for longest ascent to top of the charts.

It spent 10 weeks at #1 and over 60 weeks in the Top 10. At the time, it became the biggest debut album of all time and still remains in Billboard's Top 5 most successful female eras.

Forever Your Girl
184-168-149-149-145-139-138-146-152-138-153-150-155-153-158-155-163-154-144-123-123-104-92-92-86-75-48-33-28-16-13-9-7-6-5-4-4-7-9-9-11-10-10-9-8-6-6-5-6-6-8-9-10-9-9-7-4-4-4-3-4-3-3-*1*-2-5-5-6-6-4-5-4-4-4-5-5-5-5-3-2-*1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1*-2-2-4-5-5-7-8-12-18-20-23-28-30-33-37-40-45-47-52-58-62-61-69-73-88-91-107-114-119-131-148-152-161-149-168-173-137-172-172-144-135-146-164-187-184-199-121-117-110-114-105-105-112-106-119-108-105-112-108-115-99-108-127-141-140-148-153-164-162-158-168-158-151-138-133-129-108-108-114-129-135-164-186-186-179-188

Was it consecutive because i thought it's just the way that you love me was rereleased and peaked at 3 but Paula's run was no joke.

7x platinum album 6 #1s 

Despite not being labeled a vocalist Rush Rush is played and streamed alot more than ballads from respected vocalists

I wondered which song was big when she scored 9 consecutive weeks at #1 Cold hearted??? Forever your girl maybe

8 hours ago, idkwiam said:

Jay Z has no album that spent more than 70 weeks on BB200.:deadbanana2:

No kidding. Wow. He did change the game a bit in rap by releasing more often than normal so that might explain his in prime period but post prime he didn't achieve it either.

6 hours ago, Topaz said:

Fifth Harmony has two of the best selling girlgroup singles ever holding the 1 and 2 spot with Work From Home and Worth It. They also have 2 platinum album..

Danity Kane are the only girlgroup to debut 2 album at #1 twice.

Interesting.

5 minutes ago, Steve Johnson said:

nHPck0T.png

I actually really had no idea wtf :omg: doesn’t take away from her success, just thought it was given 

36 minutes ago, Hector said:

You don't count the re-release of It's Just The Way That You Love Me which peaked at #3? Or Knocked Out's re-release?

31 minutes ago, slw84 said:

Was it consecutive because i thought it's just the way that you love me was rereleased and peaked at 3 but Paula's run was no joke.

7x platinum album 6 #1s 

Despite not being labeled a vocalist Rush Rush is played and streamed alot more than ballads from respected vocalists

I wondered which song was big when she scored 9 consecutive weeks at #1 Cold hearted??? Forever your girl maybe

Knocked Out wasn't re-released in the US and I don't count The Way That You Love Me because Virgin didn't actually release a new CD/cassette single. They just made a video using the album version of the song and sent that version to radio to promote album sales.

As for 9 consecutive weeks at #1, which song? I thought her longest running #1 was Rush Rush at 5 weeks. 

Cold Hearted only spent one week at #1, but was #6 on Billboard's year end chart. I'd love to see its chart run because it was higher on YE charts than songs that spent more time at #1 like Richard Marx's Right Here Waiting.

54 minutes ago, slw84 said:

So this brings up another shocking fact...

The Beatles are the best selling act of all time off of 7 years of an active career. Before I became a chart geek I didn't know they only slayed for less than a decade worth of material but different generations get new repacking for instance when i was in high school they released a GH in CD format and it went diamond for stans and my generation to get into.

They really scored 20 #1 hits over the course of 6 years and each Beatles also had a great solo career in the early 70's. Ringo was a for a time in the lead, he's the only Beatle to score 2 consecutive #1 singles with Photograph and You're Sixteen.

6 hours ago, thetea said:

Mariah has the record for the longest consecutive years for #1s (1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)

Not sure this is shocking as she is the best selling female artists of the 90s and female with the most #1s in hot 100 history

6 hours ago, thetea said:

Forever by Mariah Carey had enough airplay that if her label had released a cd single, it would've debuted at #1. 

Wow I didn't realize this, though. That album only had 3 singles...I wonder why they didn't release a CD single since it was likely a 4th single the album sold what it sold.

17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Knocked Out wasn't re-released in the US and I don't count The Way That You Love Me because Virgin didn't actually release a new CD/cassette single. They just made a video using the album version of the song and sent that version to radio to promote album sales.

As for 9 consecutive weeks at #1, which song? I thought her longest running #1 was Rush Rush at 5 weeks. 

Cold Hearted only spent one week at #1, but was #6 on Billboard's year end chart. I'd love to see its chart run because it was higher on YE charts than songs that spent more time at #1 like Richard Marx's Right Here Waiting.

I was referring to the album spending 9 consecutive weeks at #1...likely it was during the Forever your girl single era

Shocked that It's just the way that you love me didn't have a CD cassette single release. They could have had 7 #1s in a row tying Whitney:rip:

14 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

They really scored 20 #1 hits over the course of 6 years and each Beatles also had a great solo career in the early 70's. Ringo was a for a time in the lead, he's the only Beatle to score 2 consecutive #1 singles with Photograph and You're Sixteen.

Amazing 

1 hour ago, Steve Johnson said:

nHPck0T.png

Talk that Talk didn't debut at 1? :rip: Wasn't WFL huge?

Candle in the Wind 1997 being the number one Year End song of that year despite being released in the last quarter.

It even finished top 10 for 1998 :gaycat6:

9 hours ago, Topaz said:

Danity Kane are the only girlgroup to debut 2 album at #1 twice.

No they arent

Survivor & #1's both debuted at #1. DK is the only GG to debut their first 2 albums at #1

5 hours ago, slw84 said:

I was referring to the album spending 9 consecutive weeks at #1...likely it was during the Forever your girl single era

Shocked that It's just the way that you love me didn't have a CD cassette single release. They could have had 7 #1s in a row tying Whitney:rip:

Amazing 

Actually, no. Forever Your Girl (the album) spend the 9 consecutive weeks at #1 around late 1989 to early 1990 so that would be when the album version of The Way You Love Me was smashing (the song peaked at #3 on the Hot 100 in December 1989).

I think that was the point. Virgin was trying to push album sales. Clearly their strategy worked.

Fun fact: According to Cashbox (Billboard's rival at the time), TWTYLM did go to #1. Even on the Hot 100, it was the longest charting single of Paula Abdul's career tying with Straight Up. It was extremely successful even without a proper single release. Cashbox also reported that Forever Your Girl and The Promise of a New Day DID NOT go to #1. 

Edited by Inverted

On 6/17/2022 at 10:58 PM, Ricky Wilson said:

Brit Spears didn’t actually have a radio ban in the early 00’s, but her singles just weren’t popular and weren’t consumed enough to go top 10

Weird, mind to explain her US chart run from 2004 to 2016? Radio seemed to play her quite a bit, almost on par with how the whole world was playing her music 

59 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Actually, no. Forever Your Girl (the album) spend the 9 consecutive weeks at #1 around late 1989 to early 1990 so that would be when the album version of The Way You Love Me was smashing (the song peaked at #3 on the Hot 100 in December 1989).

I think that was the point. Virgin was trying to push album sales. Clearly their strategy worked.

Fun fact: According to Cashbox (Billboard's rival at the time), TWTYLM did go to #1. Even on the Hot 100, it was the longest charting single of Paula Abdul's career tying with Straight Up. It was extremely successful even with a proper single release. Cashbox also reported that Forever Your Girl and The Promise of a New Day DID NOT go to #1. 

I see...well that is a shocking fact. One of the lesser known hits was the one that helped it reached so many weeks at #1. 

Yeah back then singles were out for almost all songs but sometimes they withheld to boost sales. there was a rumor that Janet did it for State of the world so that she wouldn't break her brother's 7 top 10s/5s record.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:48 PM, Underdogs said:

"only" 12? That's quite a lot I'd say

ezgif-6-5ed2a6b2c1.png 

Sis has over 50 albums out and only 12 top 10s, that’s tragic :rip:

35 minutes ago, slw84 said:

I see...well that is a shocking fact. One of the lesser known hits was the one that helped it reached so many weeks at #1. 

Yeah back then singles were out for almost all songs but sometimes they withheld to boost sales. there was a rumor that Janet did it for State of the world so that she wouldn't break her brother's 7 top 10s/5s record.

But she already technically had the top 5 record with LWNDWY. SOTW would’ve been her 8th. It was a huge airplay hit, so all they had to do was release a single and it would’ve peaked around #3/#4 (an “Alright” sized hit), just based on the chart at that time in 1991. I would be cautious to say it would’ve gone to #1. That, I doubt, without a music video. 

On 6/17/2022 at 11:42 PM, Jeremiah said:

Despite no #1 album in the UK, Britney is in the top 10 of best selling female artists there this millennium (2000-2021). She landed above artists with #1 albums such as Lady Gaga and Christina Aguilera (the latter not making it to the top 10).

...Baby One More Time (song) debuted at #1 in the UK with a record-breaking 460k sales first week. It's now the 5th best selling female song of all time in the UK.

In Australia, all singles off In the Zone, hit the top position:

• #1 Me Against the Music
  • #1 Toxic
  • #1 Everytime

In the UK, the singles had an almost identical performance:

• #2 Me Against the Music
  • #1 Toxic
  • #1 Everytime

There's other major pop girls who have never topped big markets with their albums, like Beyoncé (France) and Taylor Swift (Germany). New Zealand is not a big market, but Britney has 5 #1 hits there:

• ...Baby One More Time
  • Sometimes
  • Oops!... I Did It Again
  • Hold It Against Me
  • Scream and Shout

She's tied with Beyoncé, Taylor Swift and Christina Aguilera. In fact, all MPGs seem to have at least 5 #1 hits there, except Lady Gaga and Adele (both with 3).

The clock :WAP: slay sis

On 6/17/2022 at 5:51 PM, Njshawty said:

Destiny’s Child has the longest running number one song for a female group…”Independent Women Pt 1” 11 weeks #1 a record for 21 years….longer than most of your favs careers ??‍♂️

A little late but also the last girl group to have a number #1 song in the hot 100; Bootylicious. Also a 21 year record.

1 minute ago, Jai said:

A little late but also the last girl group to have a number #1 song in the hot 100; Bootylicious. Also a 21 year record.

That’s insane 

29 minutes ago, Jai said:

That’s actually sad for the music industry, but obviously great for DC/Bey.

2 hours ago, JCsNumba1Fan said:

But she already technically had the top 5 record with LWNDWY. SOTW would’ve been her 8th. It was a huge airplay hit, so all they had to do was release a single and it would’ve peaked around #3/#4 (an “Alright” sized hit), just based on the chart at that time in 1991. I would be cautious to say it would’ve gone to #1. That, I doubt, without a music video. 

Doesn't Michael have 7 top 10s on his album as well or 7 top 5s??? I think they both have 7 top 5s/top 10s off an album and she could have done it with State of the world maybe not #1 but definitely top 10.

16 minutes ago, slw84 said:

Doesn't Michael have 7 top 10s on his album as well or 7 top 5s??? I think they both have 7 top 5s/top 10s off an album and she could have done it with State of the world maybe not #1 but definitely top 10.

You’re partially correct. But Janet is the only artist in history with 7 top 5 singles from an album. Drake (through an album bomb) and MJ do have 7 top 10s, but Janet’s achievement is much more regarded with emphasis because it’s split between three calendar years — most notably her #1s in 1989, 1990 and 1991 — and it was not reissued under different titles like those mid noughties albums to get more hits. There needs to be a distinction between the pure sales era and the streaming/digital era, imo. The lines are getting blurred with all the stunts you can pull to get more hits. Even still, they can’t top Janet’s record with all the advantages she didn’t have. 

Michael’s most impressive chart feat, imo, is his 5 #1s from an album (Bad), but Katy Perry tied that. 

Edited by JCsNumba1Fan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.