Rate Signup Thread

Ace Reject

1 minute ago, Ace Reject said:

You wanna host your faves featuring Lana?

I’m afraid I’ll have to pass on that! I only know 2/5 albums so I’m afraid I wouldn’t be very invested in the hosting duties. :michael:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ace Reject

• supaspaz

• clue

• conatus

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, we'd like to keep the j-pop momentum going following Utada's discography rate, so I suggest the Sheena Ringo singles rate. Sheena is a singer-songwriter like Utada, although she's more of an instrumentalist and has an extensive history of writing for other artists. Her album Shouso Strip is one of the best-selling albums in Japan, and her third album is considered one of the finest works not just within j-pop but in general, and the album used to be the highest rated from Japan on RYM. She might not get a lot of love from the core j-pop community, but people outside it tend to be infatuated with her, and the collaborations with Utada have also drawn some attention to her music. Overall, she's a very significant figure in music and deserves to be celebrated for her work. We will be rating her 'canonical' physical singles, promo singles and major digital singles, which will give the members the full picture of her as an artist as they represent various facets of her artistry: studio albums, self-cover albums and collaborative efforts. She also has a band, Tokyo Jihen, and we considered including the singles she wrote and produced, but her solo work is extensive enough (44 singles), and we don't want to scare off potential new listeners as TJ is a different beast in a way. Some members have expressed interest in the rate, and maybe people outside of our humble community will be willing to give her a try. I understand if other rates are already planned, and I'm in no hurry myself, but it'd be nice to know if it could happen at some point.

• Thanks 2

• ATRL Moderator
On 2/28/2024 at 11:56 AM, Suilen said:

Um, we'd like to keep the j-pop momentum going following Utada's discography rate, so I suggest the Sheena Ringo singles rate. Sheena is a singer-songwriter like Utada, although she's more of an instrumentalist and has an extensive history of writing for other artists. Her album Shouso Strip is one of the best-selling albums in Japan, and her third album is considered one of the finest works not just within j-pop but in general, and the album used to be the highest rated from Japan on RYM. She might not get a lot of love from the core j-pop community, but people outside it tend to be infatuated with her, and the collaborations with Utada have also drawn some attention to her music. Overall, she's a very significant figure in music and deserves to be celebrated for her work. We will be rating her 'canonical' physical singles, promo singles and major digital singles, which will give the members the full picture of her as an artist as they represent various facets of her artistry: studio albums, self-cover albums and collaborative efforts. She also has a band, Tokyo Jihen, and we considered including the singles she wrote and produced, but her solo work is extensive enough (44 singles), and we don't want to scare off potential new listeners as TJ is a different beast in a way. Some members have expressed interest in the rate, and maybe people outside of our humble community will be willing to give her a try. I understand if other rates are already planned, and I'm in no hurry myself, but it'd be nice to know if it could happen at some point.

Sure.

I just noticed there was no THIS WAS POP 2022?!?!?!?

What's up with that?

13 minutes ago, Ace Reject said:

Sure.

What's up with that?

Thank you! I think I could start it around March 10 if that's not a problem.

1 hour ago, Ace Reject said:

Sure.

What's up with that?

I did one with Charli, Carly, Tove Lo and Rina

• ATRL Moderator
9 hours ago, greento said:

I did one with Charli, Carly, Tove Lo and Rina

THANK YOU - I guess I just realized Sabrina wasn't included.

Oh well!

Do you want to host THIS WAS POP 2023?

1 hour ago, Ace Reject said:

THANK YOU - I guess I just realized Sabrina wasn't included.

Oh well!

Do you want to host THIS WAS POP 2023?

I’m not sure, there weren’t many albums I loved this year that would work for it

it was a lot of work and I feel like I have to love the albums to have the motivation to do it. 2024 is looking like it’ll be stacked though

• ATRL Moderator
23 hours ago, greento said:

I’m not sure, there weren’t many albums I loved this year that would work for it

it was a lot of work and I feel like I have to love the albums to have the motivation to do it. 2024 is looking like it’ll be stacked though

CRJ again, Troye, Kylie, Jessie - does that entice you?

I don't want to do it, but someone should do an Aaliyah rate including her soundtracks/rare tracks

@Melancholy do it

edit: maybe @Saddy could do it since it has been a couple of years and the other one was limited in songs?

Edited by suburbannature

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

edit: maybe @Saddy could do it since it has been a couple of years and the other one was limited in songs?

I remember asking about doing it again but with "all" of her songs, but someone told me I should wait a little longer (it was 2 or 3 years ago?)
@Ace Reject what do you say? can we do it now?

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

I don't want to do it, but someone should do an Aaliyah rate including her soundtracks/rare tracks

@Melancholy do it

I have commitment issues @Saddycan do it

• ATRL Moderator
On 2/8/2024 at 12:19 AM, Ace Reject said:

Well, my love... @supaspaz and I were talking about finally starting the 2013 rates! 

Supa will be doing THIS WAS 2023 - I'll let him introduce the options.

So, there are a few others up for play, and I'd love for you to host one:

THIS WAS ALT-POP 2023

Sufjan Stevens

Lana Del Rey

Kelela

Caroline Polachek

Mitski

THIS WAS POP 2023 (1)

Miley Cyrus

Jessie Ware

Kylie Minogue

Carly Rae Jepsen 

TWP 2023 (2)

Troye Sivan

Tate McRae

PinkPantheress 

RAYE

THIS WAS R&B 2023

Tinashe

Chloe

Kali Uchis

Janelle Monae 

(Take careful look at who's not mentioned - and they'll be in supa's rate. :wink:)

Carly Rae Jepsen in for TWPOP 2023 - PinkPantheress in for the second edition!

We have to get back to doing rates - there's only one at the moment!

And rate on CURRENT music that bring us together! 

Do I have to get this party started? Or does @supaspaz with THIS WAS 2023? 

Hosting rates is hard! and the lower voter turnout compared to back in the day makes it hard to justify all that work sometimes, unless you're real passionate about it!

I prefer discog rates myself, but I could maybe see hosting the Troye / Kylie / Jessie / Carly thing if I'm not too busy.

Yeh hosting Pop 2022 was a lot of effort but it was enjoyable. I happened to love all 4 albums before hosting it so i didn't mind putting in the effort, plus it got a pretty good turn out for today's standards from what i have seen.

I definitely would like to host another rate at some point but it would have to include music i am passionate about and none of the 2023 options really interest me.

I'd be more up for a specific artist's discog/singles rate.

• ATRL Moderator

iHmKI4z.png

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, supaspaz said:

iHmKI4z.png

Now THIS is what I'm talking about!

I managed to finish my preparations for the Sheena rate earlier than expected, can I start it? I don't think that it will interfere with This Was 2023 much, and I'll try to participate in that one too.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:06 AM, Subomie said:

Hosting rates is hard! and the lower voter turnout compared to back in the day makes it hard to justify all that work sometimes, unless you're real passionate about it!

I prefer discog rates myself, but I could maybe see hosting the Troye / Kylie / Jessie / Carly thing if I'm not too busy.

Agree. Voter turnouts are definitely lower than 2-3 years ago.

I remember hosting a rate with 300+ songs in 2020 and it had like 60+ voters and that would never happen today lol

• Thanks 1

Maybe, to revive a bit of interest and flair in rates, it's time to start the re-do of the classic rates that we were brainstorming about years ago.

You know: 4 v Born This Way v Femme Fatale / '90s Rebellion Rate / In the Zone v Stripped v Dangerously In Love / other fun stuff. It's been over a decade since a lot of these rates!

Could have one classic rate run concurrently with one or two new rates - like, I'd certainly take a crack at the TW Pop lineup I mentioned a few posts, but I also would looooove to do the Music/All For You/Fever rate again :heart2: We could even throw ol' Celine's album from that time in for a punching bag if need be.

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, Subomie said:

Maybe, to revive a bit of interest and flair in rates, it's time to start the re-do of the classic rates that we were brainstorming about years ago.

You know: 4 v Born This Way v Femme Fatale / '90s Rebellion Rate / In the Zone v Stripped v Dangerously In Love / other fun stuff. It's been over a decade since a lot of these rates!

Could have one classic rate run concurrently with one or two new rates - like, I'd certainly take a crack at the TW Pop lineup I mentioned a few posts, but I also would looooove to do the Music/All For You/Fever rate again :heart2: We could even throw ol' Celine's album from that time in for a punching bag if need be.

Yes, I love this idea! We could expand the '11 by adding 21 and Talk That Talk!

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, Subomie said:

And make 97 and 98 editions of MAKES THE WOMAN! Yes!

@Suilen go ahead and start!

it's up

@Ace Reject My rate is completed! 

Spoiler

Only Girl (in the World) won!

Could the Sheena rate get pinned, at least until the deadline, pretty please? I'm getting the ballots but would like to maximize the reach without having to tag every individual fan in the wild.

• ATRL Moderator
13 hours ago, Suilen said:

Could the Sheena rate get pinned, at least until the deadline, pretty please? I'm getting the ballots but would like to maximize the reach without having to tag every individual fan in the wild.

Yes! Will do that shortly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.