Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Is Gaga's VMA 2011 performance forgotten?

Featured Replies

Yesterday I was in the mood to watch her 2011 VMA performance as Joe Calderone and I couldn't help but think how this performance, compared to the 2009 and 2013 ones (I wouldn't count 2020 yet) is quite forgotten. 

 

I remember even at that time being somewhat disappointed that she showed up as a man instead of all glammed up and had that LONG monologue before what seemed like a hot mess of a performance. 

 

However now I really appreciate how she did the opposite of what was expected and she really shocked the celebrities in the audience, as well as surprised them when Brian May came out.

 

It seems like the 2011 VMAs are remembered for Beyonce's baby reveal and...that's pretty much it? 

 

What do you think?

 

  

  • Replies 41
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Marry The Gods
    Marry The Gods

    It's the only performance from the born this way era I never really cared for. The Jo Calderone persona was already tired. We saw him on a japanese magazine in 2010 and in the you and i video. There w

  • TouchinFree
    TouchinFree

    This performance was so damn messy and all over the place. 

  • State of Grace.
    State of Grace.

    Yes. Jo Calderone might be remembered as one of her signature looks (for pop culture fans) but the performance is not even among her fans. The Paparazzi one set the bar high.   I would say t

Yes. Jo Calderone might be remembered as one of her signature looks (for pop culture fans) but the performance is not even among her fans. The Paparazzi one set the bar high.

 

I would say the entire show is forgotten. Bey's baby reveal is the closest thing to being a *moment*. 

Thankfully yes :clap3:

 

a forgotten embarrassing mess, just like her Bowie tribute. 
 

I remember being hyped thinking she was moving on from the "You and I" era and giving us an iconic dark sexy performance. The promo was so misleading 

 

 

Edited by l3disko

It was never remembered to begin with. 2009 papparazi is her true classic performance. Not only that, I'd say it's the most remembered performance this entire century. 

Yoü and I is still that song

Such a travesty that it was paid dust when it first released

It had everything in its formula to be a timeless, classic song. I fear people back then we're just put off with Joe :coffee:

I truly hope the song gets it's due recognition or some virality like other BTW tracks

It's the only performance from the born this way era I never really cared for. The Jo Calderone persona was already tired. We saw him on a japanese magazine in 2010 and in the you and i video. There was no reason to perform as him on stage. It wasn't "shocking". It needed to be in the vein of her VMA teaser commercials. Her Born This Way Grammy performance was so simple and yet it reasonated with the fans and even the GP more than the Jo Calderone performance. 

Definitely forgotten by her at first and then from everyone else.

2009 is just too iconic - That was a moment! I became a huge fan in real time watching Paparazzi 

Jo Calderone is iconic but unfortunately the performance in forgotten compared to her Paparazzi and Applause performances 

Yes because this one is her most remembered MTV performance

 

4 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Yes because this one is her most remembered MTV performance

 

This remain unmatched to this day. The chills her voice give me at the end ? Oh my god flawless performance. 

51 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Yes because this one is her most remembered MTV performance

 

This performance was so damn messy and all over the place. 

Just now, TouchinFree said:

This performance was so damn messy and all over the place. 

I agree that it was definitely chaotic :sistrens:

I like to pretend Joe Calderone never happened, it was hard enduring that level of cringe as a fan.

58 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Yes because this one is her most remembered MTV performance

 

hate how they don't upload it on youtube officially .. let us enjoy history!

Wasn't it at the tail end of the Born This Way era? I remember we were all a little tuned out at the time.

That night's iconic performance was Love On Top.

 

Yoü and i still a bop! Let me stream.

Does anyone have that old gif of her slipping off the piano and the camera cuts to a concerned-looking Adele? :deadbanana:

 

 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.