Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Five nominees, but the worst one won. Examples?

Featured Replies

32 minutes ago, Komet blu said:

svixVhPwu9g2T62e.jpg

Came for this one. He wasn't even there :giraffe:

  • Replies 65
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Roberto said:

SIO was the worst one. Happy the second worst one. 

 

OT: the Ed Sheeran one that a lot of you have mentioned here. 

SIO is not worse than Happy let’s not

26 minutes ago, MALAMENTE said:

SIO is not worse than Happy let’s not

True. SIO is garbage, but Happy somehow manages to be worse.

 

Grammy's of 2018 were a mess. They picked the worse nominees in AOTY, SOTY, Pop Vocal Performance and Album, but also this one.

 

Best R&B Performance

 

"That's What I Like" – Bruno Mars WINNER

"Get You" – Daniel Caesar featuring Kali Uchis

"Distraction" – Kehlani

"High" – Ledisi

"The Weekend" – SZA

16 minutes ago, Yuanyu said:

Ed Sheeran hate is corny

Literally the other 4 songs nominated were absolutely better than Shape Of You. 

 

EDIT: I mean, I won't justify any kind of hate against an artist, but this particular situation was unfair. 

Edited by Roberto

1 hour ago, Miracle said:

First is right, but I fear the Imagine Dragons album might be even worse

 

2 minutes ago, Wrecked said:

 

I dislike Ed Sheeran as much as any ATRLer here but Imagine Dragons makes the worst music out of any mainstream act right now, and Evolution was even worse than their music now. At least Mr.Sheeran knows how to write a melody that doesn't sound like football hooligans screaming over cheesy batuka pop-rock beats

Oscars 2022

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

 

CODA

Drive My Car

Dune

The Lost Daughter

The Power of the Dog

 

 

Oscars 2023

Writing (Original Screenplay)

 

Everything Everywhere All At Once

The Banshees of Inisherin

The Fabelmans

Tár

Triangle of Sadness

 

Edited by Betty White

1 minute ago, Miracle said:

At least Mr.Sheeran knows how to write a melody that doesn't sound like football hooligans screaming over cheesy batuka pop-rock beats

So you’re one of those people that’s heard a few singles and think that represents an entire album? :gaycat6:
 

 

 

 

 

For me, their album Mercury was the best album released in 2022 and I don’t think any album released this year will be able to top it either. :bird: 

2 hours ago, Wonderland said:

The 2018 Grammy for AOTY is pretty close for me:

 

24K Magic – Bruno Mars
"Awaken, My Love!" – Childish Gambino
4:44 – Jay-Z
Damn – Kendrick Lamar
Melodrama - Lorde

 

The only one some might debate is 4:44 :rip: 

Wow this is a true ceremony LEtDOWN

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

Literally the other 4 songs nominated were absolutely better than Shape Of You. 

 

EDIT: I mean, I won't justify any kind of hate against an artist, but this particular situation was unfair. 

For being so good, people forgot they existed. We all know what a success shape of you was, no need to lie to ourselves

 

3 hours ago, 1989 said:

AOTY at the 1985 Grammys. Look it up. :skull:

 

2 hours ago, Heartbreak Prince said:

Oh my god HOW? :rip:

 

3 hours ago, 1989 said:

Right? :rip: I’d never disrespect a legend like Lionel, and I get that it’s his best selling album, but it was essentially a collection of hit singles, whereas literally all of the other albums nominated that year had much more impact. Purple Rain was by far the clear winner IMO, with Born In The USA and She’s So Unusual tied for second. Private Dancer had less of an impact than those three sure, but it being Tina’s huge comeback still puts it ahead of Can’t Slow Down. 

 

2 hours ago, Klein said:

It's crazy how much time can change perspectives on things. I don't know how it felt for people in 1985, but knowing the impact Purple Rain had, I don't even understand how it could not win. But retrospective acclaim is a thing and some body of work just reveal themselves over time and so I wonder if at the time, Purple Rain was already seen like this massively important album in music history or not. 

 

Simply put, it's incredibly shocking that Purple Rain lost in our perspective now, but was it in 1985? Was it like a Lemonade vs 25 already or did it become that over time? 

1) NONE of you were alive in 1985…

 

So how can you comment on which album, essentially, had more impact at the time?

 

2) The album wasn’t just a collection of hit songs. 
 

:rip:
 

Through a retrospective lens, yes, “Purple Rain” stands skyscrapers tall above the others in terms of influence but “Can’t Slow Down” had just as much impact as the others. 
 

“Can’t Slow Down” peaked atop several critics YE lists in 1984, above those such as “Born In The USA” and “Private Dancer”, so the response to its artistic output was genuine and rather high among many.
 

Moreover, Prince literally won an Oscar for “PR” which he said, in a 1986 interview, “I preferred this over any Grammy” so it was no big loss to him whatever the case.

 

I’m tired of seeing this narrative spun with Lionel Richie as if the man wasn’t a Motown legend, who had paid his dues, and hadn’t released one of the biggest, crossover, albums by a Black artist after Michael Jackson and “Thriller”, ever. 
 

:rip:

 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Y'all jus love to disrespect a legend like Lionel Richie

 

da right album won, stay pressed 

2 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

 

 

 

1) NONE of you were alive in 1985…

 

So how can you comment on which album, essentially, had more impact at the time?

 

2) The album wasn’t just a collection of hit songs. 
 

:rip:
 

Through a retrospective lens, yes, “Purple Rain” stands skyscrapers tall above the others in terms of influence but “Can’t Slow Down” had just as much impact as the others. 
 

“Can’t Slow Down” peaked atop several critics YE lists in 1984, above those such as “Born In The USA” and “Private Dancer” so the response to its artistic output was genuine and rather high among many.
 

Moreover, Prince literally won an Oscar for “PR” which he said, in a 1986 interview, “I preferred this over any Grammy” so it was no big loss to him whatever the case.

 

I’m tired of seeing this narrative spun with Lionel Richie as if the man wasn’t a Motown legend, who had paid his dues, and hadn’t released one of the biggest, crossover, albums by a Black artist after Michael Jackson and “Thriller”, ever. 
 

:rip:

 

thank u 

 

if u was alive, speak up, if not shut da phuck up 

1 minute ago, dabunique said:

Y'all jus love to disrespect a legend like Lionel Richie

 

da right album won, stay pressed 

Exactly! 

 

The Lionel Richie disrespect is insane. 
 

“Can’t Slow Down” was huge at the time; it produced several classics that still stand tall today and was a monumental success, commercially and critically. 
 

People are only saying “PR” because Prince was a more eccentric artist.

 

 

4 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

 

 

 

1) NONE of you were alive in 1985…

 

So how can you comment on which album, essentially, had more impact at the time?

 

2) The album wasn’t just a collection of hit songs. 
 

:rip:
 

Through a retrospective lens, yes, “Purple Rain” stands skyscrapers tall above the others in terms of influence but “Can’t Slow Down” had just as much impact as the others. 
 

“Can’t Slow Down” peaked atop several critics YE lists in 1984, above those such as “Born In The USA” and “Private Dancer”, so the response to its artistic output was genuine and rather high among many.
 

Moreover, Prince literally won an Oscar for “PR” which he said, in a 1986 interview, “I preferred this over any Grammy” so it was no big loss to him whatever the case.

 

I’m tired of seeing this narrative spun with Lionel Richie as if the man wasn’t a Motown legend, who had paid his dues, and hadn’t released one of the biggest, crossover, albums by a Black artist after Michael Jackson and “Thriller”, ever. 
 

:rip:

 

I don't know if you quoted my post to drag me or because you were agreeing with what I said about not knowing what was people's perception at the time, but this answer is mainly what I was looking for when I posted that (someone explaining what could be the perspective of people in 1985 regarding PR/CSD), so thank you. 

4 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Exactly! 

 

The Lionel Richie disrespect is insane. 
 

“Can’t Slow Down” was huge at the time; it produced several classics that still stand tall today and was a monumental success, commercially and critically. 
 

People are only saying “PR” because Prince was a more eccentric artist.

 

 

like PR is a great album by no means but CSD was dat b!tch, its in my vinyl collection

 

Lionel was da most sought after writer and producer around dat time

27 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

 

 

 

1) NONE of you were alive in 1985…

 

So how can you comment on which album, essentially, had more impact at the time?

 

2) The album wasn’t just a collection of hit songs. 
 

:rip:
 

Through a retrospective lens, yes, “Purple Rain” stands skyscrapers tall above the others in terms of influence but “Can’t Slow Down” had just as much impact as the others. 
 

“Can’t Slow Down” peaked atop several critics YE lists in 1984, above those such as “Born In The USA” and “Private Dancer”, so the response to its artistic output was genuine and rather high among many.
 

Moreover, Prince literally won an Oscar for “PR” which he said, in a 1986 interview, “I preferred this over any Grammy” so it was no big loss to him whatever the case.

 

I’m tired of seeing this narrative spun with Lionel Richie as if the man wasn’t a Motown legend, who had paid his dues, and hadn’t released one of the biggest, crossover, albums by a Black artist after Michael Jackson and “Thriller”, ever. 
 

:rip:

 

Calm down, Rihanna and Madonna stan. 

Edited by Heartbreak Prince

3 hours ago, Komet blu said:

svixVhPwu9g2T62e.jpg

Aah iconic! 
 

ot: metallica losing to that flute album was a choice 

 

some of the wins for best rap album as well are insane 

1 hour ago, Wrecked said:

So you’re one of those people that’s heard a few singles and think that represents an entire album? :gaycat6:
 

 

 

 

 

For me, their album Mercury was the best album released in 2022 and I don’t think any album released this year will be able to top it either. :bird: 

Get ha jade :jonny:

4 hours ago, 1989 said:

AOTY at the 1985 Grammys. Look it up. :skull:

I’m conflicted over this. It was basically thriller 2.0 but more hits and lowkey better in someways but that was probably the most compatible year

 

Bruce was in 2nd place to win that one I fear 

7 minutes ago, Katamari said:

Get ha jade :jonny:

It’s such a generic insult. They hear Thunder and Believer and assume that’s what every one of their songs sounds like. I could list 5 songs from the same album that sound completely different to each other. :rip:

28 minutes ago, Heartbreak Prince said:

Calm down, Rihanna and Madonna stan. 

So, that’s your rebuttal?

 

Nice to know you never knew WTF you were talking about. 
 

43 minutes ago, Klein said:

I don't know if you quoted my post to drag me or because you were agreeing with what I said about not knowing what was people's perception at the time, but this answer is mainly what I was looking for when I posted that (someone explaining what could be the perspective of people in 1985 regarding PR/CSD), so thank you. 

Oh, I was agreeing with you my love. Sorry, lol. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.